Preview 2021 Qualifying Final vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Stewart, 2E and an under done Duncan has set u guys up nicely, be a massive choke if u don’t win this one.
Ah, so this one means nothing to the Cats who do take the field tomorrow night? I'm sure they'll be doing everything humanly possible to get over the line, because of the huge prize on the end of it.

TBH I'm not even gonna be too upset if we lose the first one. Both GF teams last year lost the first one. I'm not sure if the week off helps these days.

This is a bad match up for us.

Hawkins has had 13 shots on goal in two games while manned up on Mckenzie.

We need to find a way to keep Aliir free enough to be that intercepting defender in front of Hawkins.

However I’m assuming he will be taking Cameron and those two are great at creating space for one another to avoid such situations.

If our Mids allow the cats easy forward transition, I’m afraid Hawkins will destroy us with that matchup. We can’t just bank on him kicking 5 behinds again.

the pressure our mids and forwards have to put on is immense. geelong aren't a dumb side, they'll know better than to bomb it high and aimlessly into our d50 with aliir there.

hawkins & cameron are two of the best forwards in the comp at creating their own space through leading patterns, if there's no pressure on the ball carrier they're going to calve us up.

our sustained pressure in the QF last year was immense, and a big part of why we got over the top.

I feel like last year in the QF we forced Geelong to go wide to Hawkins. While he did have 5 shots on goal most of them were from pretty tight angles. I'd probably try and do that again.

I feel like last year in the QF we forced Geelong to go wide to Hawkins. While he did have 5 shots on goal most of them were from pretty tight angles. I'd probably try and do that again.
I think this has been overstated. Hawkins kicked well below his normal standard that day, and normally would have slotted at least 3-4 of those shots on goal he had

I think our mids were off earlier in the year, especially with Lycett out not able to help in stoppages. Our attack is also in much better shape, with so much more speed.

Defensively this game will be won on our ability to put pressure on the ball carrier both mids and high half forwards, to give them no easy forward 50 entries.

If the Geelong mids are just waltzing in, Hawkins, Cameron and Rowan (+resting Danger) will have a field day. To be honest it probably doesn’t matter who gets what match up though. It’s more about the mids and high half forwards applying manic pressure.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawkins 300th?

Can just imagine how bad the commentary is going to be every time he goes near it. Hopefully the umpires aren't buying into the fairytale.

It will be all worth it if during the coverage I find out which High School he went to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even David King is picking up that our defensive kick ins are a joke. Too late in the season now for change but if we struggle to move it forward against the better teams this finals I think this is a big reason why.

“I worry if they get stuck in their back half how they will move the ball. The strategy of kicking out every time to the wing line of the centre square will be worked out by the better teams and the better coaches, you won’t get away with that.“

This is a bad match up for us.

Hawkins has had 13 shots on goal in two games while manned up on Mckenzie.

We need to find a way to keep Aliir free enough to be that intercepting defender in front of Hawkins.

However I’m assuming he will be taking Cameron and those two are great at creating space for one another to avoid such situations.

If our Mids allow the cats easy forward transition, I’m afraid Hawkins will destroy us with that matchup. We can’t just bank on him kicking 5 behinds again.

It's all good, all our back line needs to do is VISUALIZE how we stop them

1005370.jpg

I cant see Hawkins coming here and kicking 0.5 again. He'll be on a mission. They have a lot of improvement from their QF here last year.
There are a number of matchup that we need to get right. I just hope some time and thought has gone into Blicavs.
If he lines up on a wing and floats forward then what do port do.
That matchup has cost us badly in the past.

Even David King is picking up that our defensive kick ins are a joke. Too late in the season now for change but if we struggle to move it forward against the better teams this finals I think this is a big reason why.

“I worry if they get stuck in their back half how they will move the ball. The strategy of kicking out every time to the wing line of the centre square will be worked out by the better teams and the better coaches, you won’t get away with that.“

I get the feeling this is an 'under-arm free throw' type issue.

We are one of the best sides at creating scores from d50 and kick-ins. I'd also be intrigued to see the stats for conceding scores from repeat i50s.

Everyone complains about it, it looks dumb, it feels dumb, but the results are much tougher to argue with - top side for end to end scores, top 2 on the ladder, all despite one of the worst injury runs in the top 8.

I REALLY want to see Karl or DBJ reintroduce Matty White's paddock from at least one kick in this finals series.

It was one of the most exciting things from that era and you only need to do it once to make all oppo teams adjust their zone.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No Stewart, 2E and an under done Duncan has set u guys up nicely, be a massive choke if u don’t win this one.

Nah that's silly. We have blokes underdone too and Cats have been a form side this year. Port will deservedly start favourites but this is a 55%-45% type game when it comes to chances of winning.

Or like losing a GF by 119pts :)

Part of me wants to be annoyed with this but then another part of me appreciates that its at least coming from a supporter of a team who was able to make that grand final so it makes sense, as opposed to when embarrassing cringe-merchants who aren't even cats supporters try to bring it up and just make themselves look like complete bell-ends.

"will be worked out"? How incredibly dim would you have to be to have not worked it out yet?

I also take issue with us having gotten away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back