List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry McKay set for talks with Carlton on new deal after rejecting big offer from Essendon last year
One of Carlton’s biggest rivals came hard at Harry McKay last trade period. But he stayed loyal. The Blues now want to lock him into a new deal.

Jay Clark

Carlton is set to open contract talks on a lucrative new deal for breakout spearhead Harry McKay.

The Blues want to lock away the man who booted a career-best seven goal haul against Fremantle on Sunday, enhancing his reputation as one of the most exciting key forwards in the game.

The sparkling performance earned McKay nine AFL Coaches Association votes and lifted the big man to third on the AFL Coleman Medal leaderboard with 13 goals and eight behinds in three games.

Highly-respected Geelong premiership full-forward Tom Hawkins said on Monday McKay “was one of the guys who could become the best key forward in the game in a few years’ time”.

“I think he is a super player. I really rate him and I really like watching him,” Hawkins said.

Industry figures told the Herald Sun on Wednesday McKay was worth more than $700,000 a year to Carlton on current form as part of the league’s reduced salary cap.

McKay knocked back a significant offer worth as much as $800,000 a year from Essendon late last season, indicating a strong desire to help lead Carlton to sustained finals appearances.

The Bombers targeted McKay as a Joe Daniher replacement last year, but McKay never seriously entertained a move away from Ikon Park.
According to Champion Data, McKay ranks first in the league for forward 50m marks (17) and second for contested marks inside 50m (seven) so far this season.
The Blues are also on the verge of a new deal for superstar captain Patrick Cripps, who suggested he was prepared to take less to help keep Carlton’s burgeoning list together.

“You want what is best for the club, so it is about how we are we going to put ourselves in a position to be a good club, and a great club, going forward for a long period of time,” Cripps told the Herald Sun.

Patrick Cripps (right) and McKay are believed to be close to working out new deals at Carlton. Picture: Michael Klein

But Carlton could consider trade offers for young wingman Lochie O’Brien (pick No. 10) at season’s end, while Paddy Dow (pick three) could feel some selection pressure on the back of 13 and 11-possession performances.

McKay, 23, has supreme athleticism and at 204cm has already been one of the biggest beneficiaries of the AFL’s successful new man-on-the-mark rule, helping open up leading lanes for key forwards.

His speed and long reach can give the 51-gamer a decisive advantage against an opponent one-out.

The Blues had planned to open talks on McKay’s contract early in the new season and are set to soon sit down with his agent, David Trotter from Hemisphere Management, about terms.

But complicating the picture for the Blues is the lucrative deals already locked-in place for Charlie Curnow and Mitch McGovern.

Curnow is still out as he recovers from his recurring patella injury and McGovern is pushing for a return to the senior side this weekend after a pre-season hamstring problem.

McGovern, who signed a juicy deal to join Carlton from Adelaide, played well in the VFL team at the weekend and will be considered to take on Gold Coast on Saturday night.
Curnow is hopeful of returning to the field later this season and is keen to be a part of a finals campaign if the Blues make it.

Where are you Caro??? Why didn’t we hear about Essendon missing out on another big fish??!

Cerra and their pick. (maybe 5 or so?)

Our 1st (number 1) and a second rounder this and next year.

Thanks.

If the offer is there, you say absolutely not - unless it's something in the vicinity of three first rounders (top 10s) coming back the other way. It's #1 FFS

Nah that's not right imo.

I'll take an established young gun and a pick back in top 10 over just holding 1.

1st has been a bust many times.

Take a proven player and pick all day every week.

Charlie Constable dropped again. Think he has it, just constantly not being played in traffic. Forced to play on the outside and can't get an extended run at it to hone his craft. 192cm and mid 80kgs.

He's huge unit and four pre-seasons into it. Know he isn't fast, but think he cracks at it harder than Tyson and Hall. Offers the youngers some more protection, maybe rotate forward and have him as a presence down there when everyone else is onball. Thoughts?
If the pace of the game is sustained, it may have already gone past him? Will be interesting to see.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cerra and their pick. (maybe 5 or so?)

Our 1st (number 1) and a second rounder this and next year.

Thanks.

Lol no. Three picks including pick 1 for a bloke OOC and a first rounder that could be away from the top echelon this year? Cerra isn't that good.

Lol no. Three picks including pick 1 for a bloke OOC and a first rounder that could be away from the top echelon this year? Cerra isn't that good.

Cerra looks ok to me.

We blow second rounders.

We likely get 3 or 4 back in how they are looking.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cerra looks ok to me.

We blow second rounders.

We likely get 3 or 4 back in how they are looking.

He's ok, it's not what you give up pick 1 and 20 for when he's going to be uncontracted anyway.

We'll be much better off using pick 1 and using those second rounders to trade down. Guarantee though if we get pick 1 we won't trade it, if we win a spoon you can better believe we'll have who we consider the best kid in the country to show for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlie Constable dropped again. Think he has it, just constantly not being played in traffic. Forced to play on the outside and can't get an extended run at it to hone his craft. 192cm and mid 80kgs.

He's huge unit and four pre-seasons into it. Know he isn't fast, but think he cracks at it harder than Tyson and Hall. Offers the youngers some more protection, maybe rotate forward and have him as a presence down there when everyone else is onball. Thoughts?
100%

I wanted him for higgins.

Big boy that works well in and under. Geelong try to use him as a tagger and it doesn't suit him. Like they did to cam guthrie for years.

People were saying the game has gone by the slower in and under types. I think that's a load of hogwash. Cunnington looked as important as ever last week and players like mccrae and libba are just as important for the dogs as the quicker types are.

Good amount of development and get him in before cunnington moves on and leaves us in a bad spot.

He's ok, it's not what you give up pick 1 and 20 for when he's going to be uncontracted anyway.

We'll be much better off using pick 1 and using those second rounders to trade down. Guarantee though if we get pick 1 we won't trade it, if we win a spoon you can better believe we'll have who we consider the best kid in the country to show for it.

I'm not sure if missed but I'm saying their number 4 or so back.

We stay in top 5 and get a proven player?

Why is that so ridiculous?

I think fits our list nicely.

I'm not sure if missed but I'm saying their number 4 or so back.

We stay in top 5 and get a proven player?

Why is that so ridiculous?

I think fits our list nicely.

Well firstly, they don't have pick 4 or 5 yet and whatever they get is pushed out when Daicos is bid on. Secondly, he's not a proven player, he's a decent, fairly one dimensional player in his fourth year who will be out of contract and will need us to pay a premium wage above any other Vic club to get to agree to come to us. Thirdly, we've got idiots in our fan base that have already written off Phillips because we didn't sign Carey #2 Logan McDonald, imagine how crazy people would go if we let go of pick 1 and our second pick in this draft for a guy that hasn't ever averaged over 24 touches a game plus change, especially when we just signed the contracted rising star winner of his draft year for a couple of second rounders.

Let's just use pick 1 in the draft, after this season it's the least we can allow ourselves to enjoy.

Well firstly, they don't have pick 4 or 5 yet and whatever they get is pushed out when Daicos is bid on. Secondly, he's not a proven player, he's a decent, fairly one dimensional player in his fourth year who will be out of contract and will need us to pay a premium wage above any other Vic club to get to agree to come to us. Thirdly, we've got idiots in our fan base that have already written off Phillips because we didn't sign Carey #2 Logan McDonald, imagine how crazy people would go if we let go of pick 1 and our second pick in this draft for a guy that hasn't ever averaged over 24 touches a game plus change, especially when we just signed the contracted rising star winner of his draft year for a couple of second rounders.

Let's just use pick 1 in the draft, after this season it's the least we can allow ourselves to enjoy.

All good reasons in isolation albeit I haven't seen the Logan posts - maybe deleted? People get upset about it in Phillips thread.

I'm happy to use 1 sure I just don't know why we can't be open for offers too - especially if we don't necessarily have a target as clear number 1.

All good reasons in isolation albeit I haven't seen the Logan posts - maybe deleted? People get upset about it in Phillips thread.

I'm happy to use 1 sure I just don't know why we can't be open for offers too - especially if we don't necessarily have a target as clear number 1.

From what I can see at the moment there's a clear top 3 (with Horne top of the pile) plus Daicos who we can't get. I wouldn't be surprised if we already know who to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back