List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If we want a young key defender, I'd target Elliott Himmelberg (out of contract from Adelaide). He has only played forward for the Crows but he has athleticism and is big and young enough to make the transition imo. He and his brother are both from NSW and he'd be living in the same city as Harry too which helps. Adelaide are gonna get rid of at least one of their key forwards ar the end of the year too I suspect so we might get him a little cheaper than normally.

.. and the Harry the Hippo has made a Paddy like transformation to defence. You could be on to something.

I expect Melican will explore options ... hope he gets picked up.

The point - or at least my point - is that our ruck management since 2012 has been pretty ordinary. Hopefully that changes with Ladhams.

Yeah that's true but I'd also argue luck played a role.

Naismith looked a really promising prospect before injuries derailed his career.

Tippett we could never quite figure out if he was better as a ruck or a forward, and injuries robbed us of the chance to figure it out.

Knoll turned out to be more... Knoll than Jai Newcombe.

Cameron didn't do enough to earn our faith to last much longer on the list.

Sinclair wasn't the player we needed him to be (even if he made up for it in spades with ticker.)

Then there's the Aliir in the ruck debacle, a coaching moment Horse would be wise to gloss over when writing his CV.

Pyke a casualty of age, Mumford a casualty of Buddy's contract.

If even one or two of those players' careers took a different course, then we're probably not even sitting here discussing our ruck problems because we're just happy we've had x or y over the last decade.

Yeah that's true but I'd also argue luck played a role.

Naismith looked a really promising prospect before injuries derailed his career.

Tippett we could never quite figure out if he was better as a ruck or a forward, and injuries robbed us of the chance to figure it out.

Knoll turned out to be more... Knoll than Jai Newcombe.

Cameron didn't do enough to earn our faith to last much longer on the list.

Sinclair wasn't the player we needed him to be (even if he made up for it in spades with ticker.)

Then there's the Aliir in the ruck debacle, a coaching moment Horse would be wise to gloss over when writing his CV.

Pyke a casualty of age, Mumford a casualty of Buddy's contract.

If even one or two of those players' careers took a different course, then we're probably not even sitting here discussing our ruck problems because we're just happy we've had x or y over the last decade.
Biggest ones are injuries to Naismith and Tippett imo. Naismith was a very good tap ruckman and we played well with him in the side from memory, would have been what we were missing until Hickey last season

Biggest ones are injuries to Naismith and Tippett imo. Naismith was a very good tap ruckman and we played well with him in the side from memory, would have been what we were missing until Hickey last season

Yeah tbh as easy as it can be to dismiss Naismith, if it weren't for the AFL's corruption, Naismith would be a premiership ruckman.

If we want a young key defender, I'd target Elliott Himmelberg (out of contract from Adelaide). He has only played forward for the Crows but he has athleticism and is big and young enough to make the transition imo. He and his brother are both from NSW and he'd be living in the same city as Harry too which helps. Adelaide are gonna get rid of at least one of their key forwards ar the end of the year too I suspect so we might get him a little cheaper than normally.
2.00m 99kg. Certainly big enough. Worth a look. Out of contract. Where have I heard that before?

I am upset we let Anthony Rocca go

Don’t forget that €¥[§!! Shannon Grant

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gee after that game against port, we need KPP's ASAP. Paddy, Tommy and Ramps can have some great games, but games like that where they are constantly undersized, it feels like we need some more support from them. Midfielder and a KPP hopefully we will take in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although if we have the pick for Tom Scully (West Adelaide) I'd be tempted to add him to the cupboard

I am starting to feel like maybe Lloyd does have to be moved on. As my new second-favourite Swan in George's absence, it hurts to say it, especially considering my number one favourite Rampe is also nearing retirement.

But I get the feeling that Lloyd is just a bit of an obstacle at the moment.

An obstacle to Florent being able to stake his claim to that role as the steadier and distributor in defence.

An obstacle to McInerney & Blakey being able to get their damaging rebound game going (which is ironic, as last year he was a pivotal part of that, but on this year's form, is actually not helping those two at all.)

An obstacle to more aggressive kick-ins and ball movement from deep in our defensive 50 a la Blakey, Paddy etc.

Just reckon the cons of having him in the side are beginning to outweigh the pros. If he finds form then that changes everything, but he'll be 29 next year, so we may have to face the very real prospect that him finding form might not happen.

I am starting to feel like maybe Lloyd does have to be moved on. As my new second-favourite Swan in George's absence, it hurts to say it, especially considering my number one favourite Rampe is also nearing retirement.

But I get the feeling that Lloyd is just a bit of an obstacle at the moment.

An obstacle to Florent being able to stake his claim to that role as the steadier and distributor in defence.

An obstacle to McInerney & Blakey being able to get their damaging rebound game going (which is ironic, as last year he was a pivotal part of that, but on this year's form, is actually not helping those two at all.)

An obstacle to more aggressive kick-ins and ball movement from deep in our defensive 50 a la Blakey, Paddy etc.

Just reckon the cons of having him in the side are beginning to outweigh the pros. If he finds form then that changes everything, but he'll be 29 next year, so we may have to face the very real prospect that him finding form might not happen.
I'd move Lloyd on and hope Gould pushes ahead of Rampe by year's end

Or we trade in a KPD and let P.Mac roam more

After heavy thinking I think trading out Lloyd is a reasonable idea. I have loved him and his service at the club, but given his form and his age he will probably start to slowly decline. He turns 29 in September and this offseason is a good chance to let him go while he's still on good coin.

Few nice options to get in return. With the picks from lloyd or a swap deal with picks in the trade Id love to get someone like a Deven Robertson from the Lions. Hes outta contract at the end of the year and could fit nicely in the backline, hes got some talent. Another nice young rebound defender like Budarick from the suns. Maybe even something big like a Starcevich or Griffin Logue. Could even do a three way deal with Lloyd going to another club getting picks in return and getting someone big like a Taranto or Hopper.

But of course knowing this I am 95% sure he will be resigned, he loves the place and the club.

who would trade for Lloyd
Well thats the thing. I cant really see lloyd leaving at all really, but a few clubs would still defo be interested in him like Carlton, West Coast, Suns. VIC would most likely be his landing spot if he were to leave.

Some clubs would take him as a Free Agent. A young backline or sides that need some drive from it

His strength as a cool organiser of a defensive system may appeal. He is not injury prone as well. Given his BnF history he would be on a fair wad of cash ($660K???) and would want similar. I expect he would be after a minimum 3 year contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back