List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think it's just too early to tell. He is 22. Madness to be writing him off IMO. There have been plenty of 18-22 year olds who have looked like future superstars then gone on to not be much. And by the same token there have been plenty of 18-22 year olds who didn't show much and then went on to be superstars.
I'm pretty bullish on him as someone who follows the 2 QLD clubs closely, but if some of the reports surrounding around the time he was drafted are true, moving back to South Australia on a huge deal could be the worst thing possible for him. $800k is madness.

You know we're doing pretty alright when we're talking about other clubs' trade prospects in here.

Last edited:
I’m always really impressed when 17 year olds get promoted to the WAFL seniors and perform.

If the Swans decide a small forward / utility is a need - Jed Hagan could be our man.

Did nicely at the national champs & then jumped into the WAFL seniors last week …. racked up 20 disposals, 5 tackles + a couple of sausage rolls (despite being a little bloke at 73kg).

Huge tackle counts are a consistent feature of his game stats.

There’s a few other highly rated WA draft prospects playing WAFL - but in the reserves. Hagan has gone straight into the firsts.

He’s been captain of the East Freo colts & the Swans do like youngsters with leadership traits.

I have a mate connected to the East Freo club who reckons he’s an absolute jet.

Don’t be surprised if he appears on Twomey’s lists at some point.
Hagan has been invited to the WA Draft Combine (one of 12 who did, including Busslinger).

Performed well again in the WAFL seniors on the weekend. He’s going to be a real player.

AFL.com reporting we're in discussions with Lloyd for 3-4 year contract and a 1 year extension for Reid. Lloyd was the one I thought vulnerable but hopefully we can keep him. Same goes for Reid.

Pretty clear that overall the club is happy with our list and the priority is to keep the team together. I doubt there will be any big fish signing and money freed up through de-listings and retirements will be used to retain players. At this point, I'd say Gould is our most likely to be targeted by another club. One of Amartey or McLean may get an offer too, although with both contracted, hopefully that would mean we get a favourable trade if this was to eventuate.

One player who it could be argued has had an underwhelming start to his career is Campbell. I remember the Hawks were really keen on him in his draft year. Definitely don't want to trade him and confident he will become a weapon soon but is there an offer someone could make us that we would consider trading him?

Agree to a certain extent regarding Ronke, but realistically how many small forwards that aren't in the best 22 can you afford to have on your list?

Presumably he's still behind Wicks. Just drafted Hugo Hall-Kahan. Someone like Sheldrick could probably play the Clarke role. I like Ronke, but is there a place for him on the list - even on the rookie list?
Other clubs would be stupid to not have a crack at ronke. Only reason he's not getting a game is because we have a surplus of high quality forward options. And I don't think he's too far behind them tbh. When he's played this year he's looked sharp as nails and very agile. He'd be every bit good as Higgins at a club that needs a small forward.

Part of me wants him to go and succeed somewhere else, but with how quick lists can shift in the AFL I'd be really disappointed to not have him when the need arrives.

I really, really, realllly rate Rankine, but imagine being Dawson and having Rankine on exposed form command a contract worth almost $1 million more than the one you signed over the same amount of time :$

That being said, Rankine for mine is the most comparable current player to Cyril (other than maybe Charlie Cameron), and as much as fans told you throughout his career that he was overrated by the media, I think he was criminally underrated by non-Hawks fans.
No one's doubting rankines ability but the role he plays isn't exactly hard to find. You can have a player on average chips to do the role good enough. Can't be spending a mill on that type of player you're just asking to root your list. Carlton did it with jack Martin, the bloke is a liability despite all the talent gifted to him, they could have ronke doing more for 300k.

AFL.com reporting we're in discussions with Lloyd for 3-4 year contract and a 1 year extension for Reid. Lloyd was the one I thought vulnerable but hopefully we can keep him. Same goes for Reid.

Pretty clear that overall the club is happy with our list and the priority is to keep the team together. I doubt there will be any big fish signing and money freed up through de-listings and retirements will be used to retain players. At this point, I'd say Gould is our most likely to be targeted by another club. One of Amartey or McLean may get an offer too, although with both contracted, hopefully that would mean we get a favourable trade if this was to eventuate.

One player who it could be argued has had an underwhelming start to his career is Campbell. I remember the Hawks were really keen on him in his draft year. Definitely don't want to trade him and confident he will become a weapon soon but is there an offer someone could make us that we would consider trading him?

don't agree at all that it's been underwhelming, he just has not yet had the opportunities
pretty sure the club and teammates regard him highly ... he's also gulden's best mate
i hope and trust campbell is part of the club's longer-term plans, would hate to lose that boot ... not to mention his other skills and toughness ... going to be a very good player

i'd have thought wicks, ronke and maybe mclean might be the most likely targets of other clubs ... not that i'd be happy to see them go

don't agree at all that it's been underwhelming, he just has not yet had the opportunities
pretty sure the club and teammates regard him highly ... he's also gulden's best mate
i hope and trust campbell is part of the club's longer-term plans, would hate to lose that boot ... not to mention his other skills and toughness ... going to be a very good player

i'd have thought wicks, ronke and maybe mclean might be the most likely targets of other clubs ... not that i'd be happy to see them go
Yep going to write something similar myself, he could turn out to be the best of the lot, he certainly has the tools.
Different players take time, they can't all be world beaters from their first game.

Campbell is still young. He came out real strong and only got edged out due to injury. I wouldn't be interested in trading him for anything, he just needs time to cement a role

Campbell is still young. He came out real strong and only got edged out due to injury. I wouldn't be interested in trading him for anything, he just needs time to cement a role
I agree 110%. The only reason why I ask the question is because a mate of mine who is a massive Lions fan reckons he's exactly what they need, either to replace Rich (who is getting old) or Zorko (ditto). He reckons Lions needs more explosiveness from the contest and outside run to win a flag. He actually would love the Lions to make a play for Chad but I told him that would be over my, and every other Swans fan's dead bodies 🤣🤣

Aside from the sweet boot and IQ that is always obvious in his recent 2s runs, he has focussed on being a nasty, effective and prolific tackler (10 in his last game).

My confidence in Campbell is high.

Aside from the sweet boot and IQ that is always obvious in his recent 2s runs, he has focussed on being a nasty, effective and prolific tackler (10 in his last game).

My confidence in Campbell is high.
Clarke is playing well and certainly deserves to be in the team. But I think ultimately Campbell can play his negating role but be damaging at the same time. I'm thinking (sorry for the Lions reference again) he could play like Zac Bailey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarke is playing well and certainly deserves to be in the team. But I think ultimately Campbell can play his negating role but be damaging at the same time. I'm thinking (sorry for the Lions reference again) he could play like Zac Bailey.
I think that'd be a waste of Campbell's talents. His best position would be Gulden's current role imo

I think that'd be a waste of Campbell's talents. His best position would be Gulden's current role imo
As you all may have gathered, I watch alot of Lions games. Bailey is quickly turning into an elite wing / HF. Very versatile, can play the run with role well but then also influence the scoreboard. He's quick, tough and is a very good user of the ball. I still am dirty we picked Ling instead of him, accepting of course the draft is a bit of a lottery. I'm expecting Campbell will become a similar player soon and looking at our current roster, it would be Clarke's spot he would take, as good as he's currently playing. Doesn't mean all he does is Clarke's role but I'd imagine he could if required and obviously more.

No one's doubting rankines ability but the role he plays isn't exactly hard to find. You can have a player on average chips to do the role good enough. Can't be spending a mill on that type of player you're just asking to root your list. Carlton did it with jack Martin, the bloke is a liability despite all the talent gifted to him, they could have ronke doing more for 300k.
Think this underrates the value players like Papley, Charlie Cameron, Greene, or Elliott bring to their respective sides. Rankine's form this season suggests he could be as good as those players.

Betts and Cyril are recent examples of the difference that damaging small forwards can make.

But even then, I'd say his potential value would max out at $700k, and I'd say the same for all of the aforementioned players for different reasons.

Think this underrates the value players like Papley, Charlie Cameron, Greene, or Elliott bring to their respective sides. Rankine's form this season suggests he could be as good as those players.

Betts and Cyril are recent examples of the difference that damaging small forwards can make.

But even then, I'd say his potential value would max out at $700k, and I'd say the same for all of the aforementioned players for different reasons.
As you just mentioned there are quite alot of them, they're everywhere, Cumberland and Johnson even just recently. When they are in abundance like that you're better off developing your own than paying even close to that much to pry one from another team.

As you just mentioned there are quite alot of them, they're everywhere, Cumberland and Johnson even just recently. When they are in abundance like that you're better off developing your own than paying even close to that much to pry one from another team.
There's quite a few good midfielders too, but that doesn't mean clubs won't pay a good premium for someone who is tracking to be in the top echelon of midfielders.

Cumberland and Johnson have had very promising starts, but that's no different to a Ronke, Aarts, or Castagna. It doesn't mean they will br comparable to the best small forwards (they might be eventually), or that they will even keep their spot long-term. Small forward is a position that teams are willing to play players in straight out of the draft, but players also don't always have the same scope for improvement, because having a big frame isn't as important as it is in other positions.

The main problem I see with it for the Crows is a gun small forward to me feels like a piece of the puzzle you should be adding when you're either looking to push into the 8, or looking to push from the bottom half to the top half of the 8. I don't think the Crows there yet.

As you all may have gathered, I watch alot of Lions games. Bailey is quickly turning into an elite wing / HF. Very versatile, can play the run with role well but then also influence the scoreboard. He's quick, tough and is a very good user of the ball. I still am dirty we picked Ling instead of him, accepting of course the draft is a bit of a lottery. I'm expecting Campbell will become a similar player soon and looking at our current roster, it would be Clarke's spot he would take, as good as he's currently playing. Doesn't mean all he does is Clarke's role but I'd imagine he could if required and obviously more.
The role that Clarke is playing is just that - a role. It can be split between a number of players over a game. Having Clarke do it for the whole game simplifies things. Also, Clarke is singularly selfless and is prepared to do that role.
Ask yourself "what would we do if Clarke was injured?".

The role that Clarke is playing is just that - a role. It can be split between a number of players over a game. Having Clarke do it for the whole game simplifies things. Also, Clarke is singularly selfless and is prepared to do that role.
Ask yourself "what would we do if Clarke was injured?".
Campbell straight in. I'd lose my s**t if Bell or Wicks got picked.

There's quite a few good midfielders too, but that doesn't mean clubs won't pay a good premium for someone who is tracking to be in the top echelon of midfielders.

Cumberland and Johnson have had very promising starts, but that's no different to a Ronke, Aarts, or Castagna. It doesn't mean they will br comparable to the best small forwards (they might be eventually), or that they will even keep their spot long-term. Small forward is a position that teams are willing to play players in straight out of the draft, but players also don't always have the same scope for improvement, because having a big frame isn't as important as it is in other positions.

The main problem I see with it for the Crows is a gun small forward to me feels like a piece of the puzzle you should be adding when you're either looking to push into the 8, or looking to push from the bottom half to the top half of the 8. I don't think the Crows there yet.
If anything paying big money to pry any player is a bit pointless these days, even mids. Teams top up and develop their own talent on the way to success time and time again. Other than buddy I can't think of anyone who's moved or signed for big money and filled their boots. Grundy was given a jackpot and he's been obsolete for them, Shiels done near nothing etc. Agreed Rankine is an icing ontop type player, but not even for that much. They could've kept stengle on peanuts and got a similar output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back