List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Players shouldn’t be requesting a trade 1 year into the initial two year contract after being drafted.

Compromises the whole system.

Then * the system

You and I can change jobs/employers if we want, surely he can say please trade me if he wants

Then * the system

You and I can change jobs/employers if we want, surely he can say please trade me if he wants

Shut down the draft then and let the kids go anywhere then?

The players join the draft knowing that they could get drafted anywhere and it comes with a two year contract.

If they don’t want to see out that two year contract, which they sign and agree to, then they can sit on the sidelines and wait or don’t apply.

Otherwise get rid of the draft and let the heartland states just dominate the competition even more.

Shut down the draft then and let the kids go anywhere then?

The players join the draft knowing that they could get drafted anywhere and it comes with a two year contract.

If they don’t want to see out that two year contract, which they sign and agree to, then they can sit on the sidelines and wait or don’t apply.

Otherwise get rid of the draft and let the heartland states just dominate the competition even more.

He does have a contract, so they can tell him too bad , too sad, you are ours and then you never know,

Just sometimes I think the reward for being the best player is to go to the worst club, lucky player hey.

But does this happen that often in year one? not that often, if a club is good they wont go or worse case their trade value will not be hurt at a good club.

Not to derail the thread, given the whole issue at a certain club currently, what if player x wants out from a situation that is causing life issues?

If the club wanted to trade the player after a year for whatever reason they would try too as well, or delist after two years if it suited.

No system is perfect and obviously losing your early pick for go home factor is shitty, dont forget yes they sign a contract, but what choice was there once picked?

He does have a contract, so they can tell him too bad , too sad, you are ours and then you never know,

Just sometimes I think the reward for being the best player is to go to the worst club, lucky player hey.

But does this happen that often in year one? not that often, if a club is good they wont go or worse case their trade value will not be hurt at a good club.

Not to derail the thread, given the whole issue at a certain club currently, what if player x wants out from a situation that is causing life issues?

If the club wanted to trade the player after a year for whatever reason they would try too as well, or delist after two years if it suited.

No system is perfect and obviously losing your early pick for go home factor is shitty, dont forget yes they sign a contract, but what choice was there once picked?
That’s the system, the players know it when they join. If their situation is so desperate I am sure they can go home and not play for anyone for a year.

It sets a bad precedent for others to follow. Like the kid who just stated in the media don’t draft me outside Vic or I will leave.

If he gets to be traded you’ll see more and more of this, I have little doubt.

Just go for one year, request a trade, no biggie. It’s a slippery slope.

On another note, at what point does a club get done for inducing a breach of contract? I am sure Port didn’t receive a phone call from him after his exit interview.

That’s the system, the players know it when they join. If their situation is so desperate I am sure they can go home and not play for anyone for a year.

It sets a bad precedent for others to follow. Like the kid who just stated in the media don’t draft me outside Vic or I will leave.

If he gets to be traded you’ll see more and more of this, I have little doubt.

Just go for one year, request a trade, no biggie. It’s a slippery slope.

On another note, at what point does a club get done for inducing a breach of contract? I am sure Port didn’t receive a phone call from him after his exit interview.

Look I absolutely get that side of it, I think we will see more of a push to a players league like the NBA for instance though,maybe the flip side will be players wont need to consent to a trade?

Yep probably some shady stuff in terms of teams in his ear all along, but again all clubs will do that stuff and I mean thats always gone on, for instance Buckley back in the 90s

If I were North id say no

Look I absolutely get that side of it, I think we will see more of a push to a players league like the NBA for instance though,maybe the flip side will be players wont need to consent to a trade?

Yep probably some shady stuff in terms of teams in his ear all along, but again all clubs will do that stuff and I mean thats always gone on, for instance Buckley back in the 90s

So would I 👍

I think the AFL is the worst run professional sporting organisation in the world, they get a heck of a lot more wrong than right.

The draft system is a mess/FA is a mess/the way they handle scandals is a mess/has the worst umpiring system to understand.

Its pretty fortunate there is no real alternative code to compete against.

Boyd did the same to GWS.

A fair national comp needs a robust draft system. I hope the Roos tell JHF he’s staying, because we could start to lurch into dangerous territory if the draft becomes nothing more than a year in purgatory to some kids, before they get to their preferred venue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyd did the same to GWS.

A fair national comp needs a robust draft system. I hope the Roos tell JHF he’s staying, because we could start to lurch into dangerous territory if the draft becomes nothing more than a year in purgatory to some kids, before they get to their preferred venue.

Its currently 2 years in purgatory

could make it 4 I guess, but still will get trade requests

Just gonna add this little reminder: as a Northern club it is not us vs the Vic clubs. It is us vs all the non-Northern clubs. We Swans fans spend so much time hating on the Vic clubs that we forget the SA and WA clubs enjoy the exact same advantages.
You could add GWS to that list. They are owned by the AFL and have a policy to not trade with the Swans. So we are the only club in the league that don’t get an opportunity to trade for their stars.

Because he’s 1 year into a 2 year contract.

And the club invested heavily in him.

Granted, I don’t know if there are other factors at play, but to me, it’s poor form & selfish.

We’d be pretty pissed if our top draft pick said “I don’t want to play for you anymore, trade me” after one year.
Darren Gaspar, Anthony Rocca & Shannon Grant to name just three

Well, doubt we will be getting any A or B listers this trade period.

Huuugggeeee opportunity to improve this years and next years draft hand however with a lot of clubs likely requiring a third party.

Would not be surprised if we are in talks with following:

Bris - our first (17/18) for future first plus future second rounder or swaps for academy/Dunkley

Gee - pick 7 (Bowes) and thier second for our first two picks to trade for Bruhn and Henry

GC - potentially split 17/18 for pick 25 and 31

Pies and Port could also be trading picks for players.

Could be interesting or, more than likely, boring as period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back