Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't complain about the Hall decision as I wanted him to play in the 2005 GF as I wanted Sydney to beat West Coast but it was a joke he got off.

The AFL just bend the rules or invent new ones to get the result they want.
I felt similarly about Cotch in watever year that was (plus finals cotch is a proper mean prick and i kind of love it)

I'm feeling this big time. I used to pretty much put every game on if I was home. Now I either switch off out of frustration or just don't bother. Quality and integrity of the sport is down, so is my enjoyment and care factor.
Ive had a wild mood swing this morning on the whole Patty decision and honestly now i think its hilarious. AFL implements a system that doesnt just encrouage a full blown legal process but almost demands it, then gets taken to the cleaners and made to look absolutely ridiculous by a club with deep pockets. Im at a point with it now where its actually just farcical and the AFL deserves whatever mud gets stuck on them from this.

Anyone who wants to pretend there is any integrity in the AFL at this point can jog on, you are absolutely kidding yourself.

From what ive seen im not convinced hes gonna be that good TBH but ive been wrong enough times to know not to make that call.

Just cant see him leaving a vic club for anywhere but home. I remembered thinking that watching the amazon doco where he was told hed be number 1, he didnt look at all excited about it.

I think he'll be a good player but I'd probably rather take my chances in the draft. Rumours that he's a bit of a handful. If we could get a kid like McKenzie or Philipou with that pick we have and another kid next year I'm taking that option.

I'm feeling this big time. I used to pretty much put every game on if I was home. Now I either switch off out of frustration or just don't bother. Quality and integrity of the sport is down, so is my enjoyment and care factor.

I used to enjoy watching another side play because you can get into it without the emotion involved. The umpiring even for others makes me rage and the unfairness at so many elements of the system makes it unenjoyable. I often have to walk off because I find the experience as enjoyable as watching us lose now.

Sometimes you still see a great match like some of the Pies nail biters or the Dogs a few weeks back but overall it's mostly anger inducing.

From what ive seen im not convinced hes gonna be that good TBH but ive been wrong enough times to know not to make that call.

Just cant see him leaving a vic club for anywhere but home. I remembered thinking that watching the amazon doco where he was told hed be number 1, he didnt look at all excited about it.
its funny all the debates him vs Daicos pre draft who was better.

Daicos looks worlds above him now. JHF looks about as good as Windy and Owens

It was idiocy that the media made up saying that North had to show faith in him and take him pick 1. Daicos was talked about for 3 years before the draft as being possibly the best kid ever drafted and stuff like that. Other than helping the Pies it did nothing for them. I wonder if the Roos got a donation from the Pies because it made no sense.

It was idiocy that the media made up saying that North had to show faith in him and take him pick 1. Daicos was talked about for 3 years before the draft as being possibly the best kid ever drafted and stuff like that. Other than helping the Pies it did nothing for them. I wonder if the Roos got a donation from the Pies because it made no sense.
smells fishy. surely either make collingwood pay up OR they don't match and you end up with clearly the best talent in the draft. Baffling decision from north. just like taking that random mid instead of Logan Mcdonald

I used to enjoy watching another side play because you can get into it without the emotion involved. The umpiring even for others makes me rage and the unfairness at so many elements of the system makes it unenjoyable. I often have to walk off because I find the experience as enjoyable as watching us lose now.

Sometimes you still see a great match like some of the Pies nail biters or the Dogs a few weeks back but overall it's mostly anger inducing.

100%. This year there's been a number of times when the umpiring just gets so frustrating I just think to myself "What's the point of this?" and switch off. It feels like watching the WWE or something. I love the sport but god the league and the media surrounding it are all so amateurish and incompetent.

smells fishy. surely either make collingwood pay up OR they don't match and you end up with clearly the best talent in the draft. Baffling decision from north. just like taking that random mid instead of Logan Mcdonald
The only defense (and it wouldnt be mine) is that there is a signing bonus and presitge that comes from being the number 1 pick.

Adelaide had this situation with Thilthorpe and JUH. They bid and it cost Riley $10k and some prestige (if you value that sort of thing). If North bid they were absolutely never getting Daicos and ultimately knew that he would be bid on at 2 or 3 anyway so all youre really doing is giving them a 7th round pick back.

I actually think its a shitty system, personally would prefer that father sons nominate pre draft and if they get a bid before draft night the team with rights has to agree to use a pick in the same round. If someone gets a number 1 pick for pick 18 so be it.

The only defense (and it wouldnt be mine) is that there is a signing bonus and presitge that comes from being the number 1 pick.

Adelaide had this situation with Thilthorpe and JUH. They bid and it cost Riley $10k and some prestige (if you value that sort of thing). If North bid they were absolutely never getting Daicos and ultimately knew that he would be bid on at 2 or 3 anyway so all youre really doing is giving them a 7th round pick back.

I actually think its a shitty system, personally would prefer that father sons nominate pre draft and if they get a bid before draft night the team with rights has to agree to use a pick in the same round. If someone gets a number 1 pick for pick 18 so be it.

Selling off high picks for points is a corruption of the system and should be nailed shut. Sydney double dips all the time with their academy kids.

Selling off high picks for points is a corruption of the system and should be nailed shut. Sydney double dips all the time with their academy kids.
Completely agree. Id rather see Ashcroft go to Brisbane for whatever their first round pick is (noting it cant be first available pick it must be the equivalent round pick and if theyve traded it out as a future tough s**t you need one back within 2 picks or something) than the points system.

I didnt see a huge amount of JHF pre draft but i saw plenty of Daicos, the only knock i ever had was he didnt do much defensively but honestly it was picking nits.

Ive never seen any kid look as good as Daicos did in TAC/NAB it was boys v men stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A joke of a decision but can't really be surprised - this is how the AFL chooses to operate their business.

If they were serious they'd have a very good look at what acts need to be removed from the game. Maybe it should be based on how reasonable or reckless the action was. If you can do the mental gymnastics to say that Cripps was actually trying to get the ball, you'd need to look at how reasonable that action actually was.

Exact point with that prick breaking Hunter Clark's jaw last year. Oh that's ok, he was going for the ball! He just did so by cannonballing himself into a player and causing a serious injury. Play on.

But Paddy standing still was worse than both of these instances apparently.
And Long got a couple for “potential to do harm” FHS!

I didnt see a huge amount of JHF pre draft but i saw plenty of Daicos, the only knock i ever had was he didnt do much defensively but honestly it was picking nits.

Ive never seen any kid look as good as Daicos did in TAC/NAB it was boys v men stuff.

My mate who is a draft nuffie was talking about him for years. He was telling me how he's probably the best junior he's ever seen coming through and the hype from the media started around that time too. I remember hearing his brother talking on SEN about 2 years ago and them saying that to him even, basically that his brother is meant to be number 1 pick by the an absolute mile. He kept proving it from there.

It looks like everyone was on the money with him. I reckon if I ws a North fan I would have liked them to have picked hi at one just so that you are reminded that they are good at spotting talent. All the brown-nosing Horny Francis hasn't worked anyway.

A joke of a decision but can't really be surprised - this is how the AFL chooses to operate their business.

If they were serious they'd have a very good look at what acts need to be removed from the game. Maybe it should be based on how reasonable or reckless the action was. If you can do the mental gymnastics to say that Cripps was actually trying to get the ball, you'd need to look at how reasonable that action actually was.

Exact point with that prick breaking Hunter Clark's jaw last year. Oh that's ok, he was going for the ball! He just did so by cannonballing himself into a player and causing a serious injury. Play on.

But Paddy standing still was worse than both of these instances apparently.
The inconsistency is at an amateur level. They make themselves a laughing stock of professional sport.

My mate who is a draft nuffie was talking about him for years. He was telling me how he's probably the best junior he's ever seen coming through and the hype from the media started around that time too. I remember hearing his brother talking on SEN about 2 years ago and them saying that to him even, basically that his brother is meant to be number 1 pick by the an absolute mile. He kept proving it from there.

It looks like everyone was on the money with him. I reckon if I ws a North fan I would have liked them to have picked hi at one just so that you are reminded that they are good at spotting talent. All the brown-nosing Horny Francis hasn't worked anyway.
Baffling decision to drop him this weekend. You’re going to drop the guy with all the speculation he wants out anyway from his first game at home in front of family and meanwhile bring back a guy from cancer for his first game in 2 years of whatever and retain a guy who turned his back on play twice last week.

It seems like they are resigned to him going and don’t care anymore

Needed the space to chest mark? They were about 80m from any other player and the ball was nowhere near iirc

TBF, I was and am shirking work and my memory had him doing the gut punch them summarily running to like 45 free as a sniping boxer emulating a footballer. Non fussed on particulars.

Ive had a wild mood swing this morning on the whole Patty decision and honestly now i think its hilarious. AFL implements a system that doesnt just encrouage a full blown legal process but almost demands it, then gets taken to the cleaners and made to look absolutely ridiculous by a club with deep pockets. Im at a point with it now where its actually just farcical and the AFL deserves whatever mud gets stuck on them from this.

Anyone who wants to pretend there is any integrity in the AFL at this point can jog on, you are absolutely kidding yourself.

In this sense, I've had no faith in their integrity since Lovetts grievance nonsense, as you had a bloke in a "big" club carried whilst he straight assaulted people and got off on technicalities, gets traded to the s**t kids aka us, and before he even dons a jumper gets an assault case and we cancel contract. AFL immediately nope, can't do that, he's apparently worth that contract and we pay him out so he can do what he's done since because the AFL bankroll that s**t.

You have integrity at an org, you see years of a bloke straight punching his missus in the face and threatening her in the back of cars then immediate lets assault a drunk chick you're glad he's GTFO ruining your image. Not the ol boys at the AFL, after all, Lethers at that time was shagging his staffer and wife so WGAF right?

Them and NRL are lucky soccer can't get a look in, as financial shenanigans trump what both orgs have dished out.

Spent the afternoon with this on in my office in the background.

1. Jeez we used to be fun to watch, was very lucky growing up in the 90's and 00's as a Saints fan, didn't get the silverware but so many great players.
2. Fraser Gehrig was absolutely mauled by Scarlett every time he went near it, was umpired like Shaq in the NBA.
3. The game has gone to absolute turd.
4. The 04 team would beat our current team by 100, actually would probably win the flag in a canter.

Mathematicians, what do we need today?

Giants and Demons win? Then Tigers loss tomorrow?

images

Don't get on my case about it being over. I know it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back