Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

The style of training that they do in season and most of pre-season doesn’t really allow them to change body shape. More maintenance and recovery between games and building that fitness base in the pre-season. The 8 weeks they have away from the club are really the only chance a player has to change his body shape for the year. As mentioned above think there is pretty strict rules on the amount of times they can go into the club during this period from the players association.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Which is really a stupid rule. They are an employee of the club and the club has modern, state-of-the-art facilities for training. They should be allowed to train there ad-nauseum. It's even smarter to do this during a pandemic.

Which is really a stupid rule. They are an employee of the club and the club has modern, state-of-the-art facilities for training. They should be allowed to train there ad-nauseum. It's even smarter to do this during a pandemic.

They can go in as much as they want. This isn't the NFL. The only rule enforced by the AFLPA revolves around how much time off a player gets. What the player does in that time is entirely up to them.

The off season allows players to train differently to in season.

Cycling is a great example. It is widely known that doing heavy leg weights benefits cyclists in both endurance and raw power output, but they will only do heavy weights when they have a break from events because they need time to recover from a big gym session.
So the off season before pre season is the perfect time to smash weights as a pro athlete, they simply can't do that in season. They can't even do it during pre season when they are training cardio and skills.

And yes they do weights all through the year, but it's worked in as a small part of a big all round program.

If you want to change your body, you gotta do it in the off season.

They're also eating for performance during the season (and preseason). Which means trying to eat at a deficit to strip fat would affect their energy levels and training capacity.

G'day folks,
How is Fyfe's shoulder progressing, do you see him playing round 1?
Fantastic value in AFL Fantasy if fit.
Cheers.

Fyfe has retired from Fantasy Football - it was a great shock to all of us.

I’m not involved with pro sports at all but I wonder if the players’ in-season nutritional requirements would allow them to do a body transformation like Treacy and Darcy have managed in the off season.
Taberner has said that Treacy trains as hard as he does. Te idea of having someone with Tabs work ethic but far better football skills is pretty exciting.

I think the AFL will format the season so that games are played 7 a side.
The alternative for us would be to schedule a season with 22 Western Derbies.

Team, I know its hard to find the line between preseason and covid when one can impact the other but lets do our best to keep this one free of COVID talk unless we see it have a direct impact on the club (it hasnt yet). Let the thread be a place just to talk strictly Freo and where everyone can avoid a topic shoved in their faces almost every minute of the day

If you think your post is leaning into talking a bit more COVID then Freo, then you know its down the wrong path and take it to a diff thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Return to training
I agree preseason is too long, but poor comparison to NBA Craig - they have an 8 month+ season, so of course they have a shorter preseason than AFL!

Add 4-6 weeks to our season and cut at least that long off preseason - I’m all for that. Would even up the fixture too. Also to help with fatigue and injuries they should consider reducing game length slightly.

Darren Burgess being featured in that article reminded me that Phil Merriman joined the club as high performance manager at the end of 2020... previously he worked under Darren Burgess at Melbourne, who was the high performance manager who helped Melbourne win their flag in 2021. Just sayin'

Darren Burgess being featured in that article reminded me that Phil Merriman joined the club as high performance manager at the end of 2020... previously he worked under Darren Burgess at Melbourne, who was the high performance manager who helped Melbourne win their flag in 2021. Just sayin'
Burgess and Weber are pretty tight too.

Burgess and Weber are pretty tight too.

Wow didn't see that coming, that puts an interesting spin on Merriman replacing Weber. I was hoping that Merriman would have picked up alot of knowledge from Burgess, but it turns out it would be the same knowledge that Weber had. Not sure what I think of that...

Weird article. Mundy injury may have happened at training this time, last time it happened being a Dad.

In the end, if their is an advantage in giving players a longer break clubs will do that, yet they don't seem to be choosing that.

I would be happier with a longer season though. Playing is way better than training.

Wow didn't see that coming, that puts an interesting spin on Merriman replacing Weber. I was hoping that Merriman would have picked up alot of knowledge from Burgess, but it turns out it would be the same knowledge that Weber had. Not sure what I think of that...
Decision making is the key.

Weber made very bad decisions, on the other hand it might have been Lyon gamestyle and pressure to being back players too early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back