Preview 2022 Rd 16 Carlton vs St Kilda Friday July 1 7:50PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar to Freo really, and we stifled them with a good defensive press and a strong uncontested game which limited their ability to run and carry.

Expect it'll be a similar approach this week. High intensity at the coalface, winning the stoppages a high priority. Then a slow and steady chip-pass game coming out of defence before pulling the trigger on an inboard kick and quick entry when the oppo leave a gap in their defence.

Best thing about our game style is that at our best, it can beat anyone and really challenges teams. It's really clear what our brand is too.

Whereas some other teams you can watch multiple games and still not know what they are basing their game on.

Saints are a bit like that...they can put teams to the sword on rare occasions when they're 'on' and their pressure is really high and ball movement at a fast pace. But it's not sustainable week after week.

Best thing about our game style is that at our best, it can beat anyone and really challenges teams. It's really clear what our brand is too.

Whereas some other teams you can watch multiple games and still not know what they are basing their game on.

Saints are a bit like that...they can put teams to the sword on rare occasions when they're 'on' and their pressure is really high and ball movement at a fast pace. But it's not sustainable week after week.

It's a strange brand isn't it, it feels like a cheats version of what many other sides do.

Most sides peel, forward or otherwise, when it looks like they will gain possession, where the Saints seem to take off when it is still in dispute. The recent messaging suggesting they will start to take on the game more, still doesn't address this situation, nor does it address their defensive flaws

But, that is Ratten's mantra

The fear and negativity is becoming unbearable in here.

BELIEVE
St.Kilda at the Dome not pleasant recollections but that’s in the past.
Baggers need to ignore the overt positive media this week, just pumping up the hype but focus on wining well Instead.
Our midfielders need to keep the pressure on.
Go Blues , we need this win if we’re to get a sniff come finals.

I’m often the same, and I’ll never say anything like this again if we lose this week, but this Friday night is going to be a Carlton Carnival - atmosphere will be electric with a stadium of Carlton fans, players will rise to the occasion and we will play irresistible football. Could be a thrashing, could be hard fought, but we’ll win. I’m tipping 5+ goals 😄

I just wish the oppo coach wasn’t Ratts.

Edit: I’m also expecting us to win 6 straight, although that Cats game with short break after Eagles is a PITA.
You got me all excited now....

I cant see us losing a football match for remainder of season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

must be close to a sell out, there are bugger all tickets left...
There were zero available yesterday, for a good chunk of the day. I presumed it was a sell out. The only way to buy a ticket was via dubious looking online resellers for obscene prices ($89 for level 3 or $169 for level 2).

Now there are a whole bunch available, across 17 different bays? Looks like someone is asleep at the wheel.

Do our ‘member tickets’ guarantee entry?

I pity the elderly footy supporters trying to navigate this ticketing system - what a shame for them and on the AFL for lack of consideration.

I just paid for upgrade to reserve a seat at $14 a pop. Was no mention that it was even an option in the email from Carlton last night. My brother, on the other hand (and my folks), had it mentioned in their emails and received a barcode. I ended up having to search my email Inbox and go back to the email I received before Rd1 which did mention the option of upgrading to a reserved seat and provided a barcode. Tried that barcode and it worked.

The communication is all over the shop and pretty frustrating bc I definitely ended up with far worse seats for the delay (we were looking on Sunday but couldn't find a link to work). At least I can rest easy now. L3 Aisle 28 for us - booked about 6pm. Not sure if GA might still have better seats available or whether they all come from same pool.

Last edited:
I get why people are saying it's a danger game. StK have generally had our measure over recent years, plus they've shown this year that they can switch it on when they need it. They have class rucks and some of their mids can match our physicality. Plus, they're coping the bad press now and might have motivation to prove a point.

But... I'm somehow still not worried about this game. The lead up reminds me a bit of the Essendon game. Once the emotion goes out of it, the better players and system will win. We have more match winners across the ground and our system is not only now proven but is something we are executing consistently. If we weather whatever storm they throw at us, we should be able to control it the other way.

Put the shoe on the other foot, for a side that's lost its last three games, we'd be one of the last teams they'd want to come up against right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back