Autopsy 2022 Rd 21 Last quarter surge masks woeful performance

Who wishes I'd stop stuffing around with this poll after a loss?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think part of the issue is that we've started with just a really simple contested gameplan that has been found out way too easily.

Voss was even pretty transparent about this at the start of the year, saying that layers would be added over time and we're nowhere near the finished product.

Whether he was referring to those layers being added over the course of the year, or over multiple years, I'm not sure. But we don't seem to have evolved much over the year so let's see what another pre-season can product.

Right now it just seems like "clearance win or bust" which has come undone spectacularly lately.

I'll be interested to see what Sayers reaction will be to the season. He doesn't seem to be the type to sit back and do nothing.

I don't think we will have a big off season tbh (well compared to last year)

We definitely look like being sellers not buyers on the trade and F/A Market

Maybe bring in one or two new assistant coaches too but that's about it.

I think part of the issue is that we've started with just a really simple contested gameplan that has been found out way too easily. Voss was pretty transparent about this at the start of the year, saying that layers would be added over time. Clearly that hasn't turned out well so far, but he perhaps meant over multiple years and I'm sure in time it will get more involved. Right now it just seems like "clearance win or bust" which has come undone spectacularly lately.
Yep, since about the half way point of the season we have been terrible in the centre. Voss hasn't changed much and what he has hasn't worked.

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cripps is likely to be rubbed out by the MRO, so we have to rely on either The Tigers or more likely St Kilda losing their final 2 years.

Don't really like making finals by 'default' (wouldn't knock it back though)

Default 🙄

We’ve been in the 8 since Rnd 1.

You really need to chill Elmer.

ecoperformance.gif

Least I can says i haven't been this stage out of losing emotional investment in team at this stage of the season in years.

So that is something
Just play the kids for the rest of the season, even if we somehow Bradbury our way into the finals, we would just get steamrolled anyway

Send the players who need off season surgery to get it already and plan for season 2023 already.

Embrace being #eco and start the pragmatic approach of preparing for season 2023 and beyond.

WHAT!

There’s nothing wrong with our list.

We went 8-2 and looked like world beaters at times this year.

Need to find another wingman (Sholl?) and maybe another competent mid-sized defender, but otherwise there’s no major gaps.

Strong spine, enough balance in the midfield - just need to get games into the squad.

Last edited:
Utterly woeful. This team is going as badly as we were under Teague - in fact, I almost feel sorry for Teague.

At least Voss has a fit Docherty and Curnow to work with, along with Cerra, Young, and a year extra on most of the other guys.

To rinse and repeat from the last few weeks, anyone blaming the bottom 6 is looking in the wrong spot. Every team has a bottom 6. Ours are being asked to do far too much because our top 6-7 are playing so poorly.

Of everything I think the saddest thing was that when we got it back within 5 goals at the end, Brisbane won every single of the 6 center clearances after that, and they were all an utter procession. That's Cripps, Walsh and Cerra (along with Fisher) allowing the ball to walk out. The last 3 goals they kicked were Docherty, Weitering, Saad all getting caught out.

Right now our best players can't even show fans the respect of providing a decent junk time comeback. So much for 'honorable losses' - I think I'd rather go back to those under Teague than the rubbish we've served up the last 2 weeks.
I don't blame our bottom 6, I blame our bottom 10 and most of the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps is likely to be rubbed out by the MRO, so we have to rely on either The Tigers or more likely St Kilda losing their final 2 years.

Don't really like making finals by 'default' (wouldn't knock it back though)
Dogs will finish above us, they only have GWS and Hawthorn to finish the season their % will be higher. (Currently +133 vs our +149 no way they are winning 2 and us losing 2 by an avg of 4 points to stay ahead)

I don't blame oour bottom 6, I blame our bottom 10 and most of the rest.
This, essentially.

I'd argue the players missing would be around the 5th to 10th players selected, and without them out there those positions immediately become bottom 10 in the 22.

Them's the breaks sometimes, and it's why you need around 30-35 players to win a grand final.

There’s wrong with our list.

We went 8-2 and looked like world beaters at times this year.

Need to find another wingman (Sholl?) and maybe another competent mid-sized defender, but otherwise there’s no major gaps.

Strong spine, enough balance in the midfield - just need to get games into the squad.
The alleged 'nothing' went missing; I think that's an omen.

Dogs will finish above us, they only have GWS and Hawthorn to finish the season their % will be higher. (Currently +133 vs our +149 no way they are winning 2 and us losing 2 by an avg of 4 points to stay ahead)
Dogs could easily drop one and we're not without a chance in our games. Selfishly hoping we make it and play Freo.

Do you reckon they would be any good in our team of we drafted them?

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nope! Not a chance. Remember when we traded for Fogarty? First season last year with us and got off to a flyer, we were thinking that we got ourselves a player coming from a good system in Geelong's. Then the Carlton way crept in. Hunger and pressure is barely anywhere near where it was last year

This really bothers me.
As if we are so good we don't need some upgrades?
We should be desperately trying to get some fit tough hardy players
And as much talent as possible.
We'll srill have the same hacks or talented players who are fragile physicslly. We can't count on any of them.
Martin...out again.

Can we all just take a moment to appreciate the special level of stupidity that is Cripps' hit on Ah Chee? Utterly unnecessary in the context of the game, and likely to be a 2 week suspension (barring AFL shenanigans to keep him in for the round 23 blockbuster/train wreck).

If, as seems likely, we complete the mother of all chokes and miss finals by losing to Collingwood in the last match of the season after being 10-4 at the bye, there should be a reckoning. And the 'captain' of the sinking ship, who managed to get himself suspended in a misguided act of aggression in a blowout loss, surely has to wear the brunt of that.

To say it is one of the dumbest things I've seen a Carlton player do - well, it actually might not be because we're an absolute rabble of a club and have been for two decades... but given the context and how much is riding on the last two weeks, it is up there with Judd's pressure points and Fev's brownlow antics for me (and lets not forget how badly those two events combined to tank our last 'rebuild').

This is quite a different side to what Bolton had and also a few additions to what Teague even had.

We are out of form currently and side has been shown to be middle of the road, so back to where we thought before the season began.

Sucks but if you said we’d be where are we now before the season you probably have thought it was about reasonable.

So after 10 games when we were 8-2... You think, where we are now is reasonable?
We are 4-6 in the last 10 games...

Missing finals is another, failed season any way you spin it... (Yes, positives were had)
If we miss finals again, we need to know, exactly why and fix it...

Unpopular opinion incoming.

I of course was disappointed with today and our game last week, but we've achieved 12 wins and have had a great season despite being at times decimated by injury. Been in the 8 practically all year, if not all year. Exciting brand of footy to watch. This season is a success even if we lose the next 2 games and miss out on finals purely due to percentage.

Go Blues.

Back