VFL 2022 VFL R4 v GWS (Sat 16-Apr 2.05pm @ AIA Centre, Olympic Park) [Stream: AFL app & https://www.afl.com.au/vfl/matches/4189]

Remove this Banner Ad

I finally managed to watch the VFL replay. We were really poor.

It was a bit alarming that we had no AFL listed key forwards or rucks playing. That says a lot and is something we'll need to address. Kelly and McMahon in defence were the only AFL key position players on the ground for us.

I thought Macrae and Poulter were the only two who did enough to push for selection. Tyler Brown did some good things in general play.

I was excited to watch McMahon play after reading some positive things. These were my notes of McMahons game. These aren't exhaustive and I may have missed things when my attention wasn't on the game.

Stats
21D, 16K, 5HB, 8M, 2T

1st Quarter
  • Won footy high HF. Switches play. Poor decision nearly a turn over.
  • Opponent marks on lead I50 McMahon trailing close behind but unable to spoil. The kick was too good gave McMahon no chance.
  • Gives away dumb free kick after playing on outside the line I50.
  • At FF defends Jarrod Brander. Plays in front but lets ball get out the back resulting in an easy goal to GWS.
  • Misses two tackles in D50. Ball spills loose with opportunity to kill ball over the line. Fails to spoil ball out of bounds, perhaps concerned about deliberate. Ground ball is won by GWS leading to scoring opportunity.
  • Takes kick out. Kicks to contest on D50. GWS wins ball and return I50 which McMahon defends and wins. Kicks under minimal pressure for direct turnover on the wing.
2nd and 3rd Quarters
  • Defending Green at CHB. Green lead McMahon to the ball and marks on our D50. The I50 results in a goal.
  • McMahon loses contest on our D50. Opponent kicks I50 for a goal.
  • On the wing McMahon drops chest mark under pressure. Commentator says he's up to 9 disposals. He's been taking the kick-ins.
  • Pies turnover. Defence caught high in transition. McMahons opponent marks out the back, handpasses to teammate resulting in a goal.
  • Goal saving spoil on Aleer at FB.
  • McMahon takes chest mark at HB. Rebounding short kick to Poulter at HB.
  • Takes kick-in. Kicks to HB. Intercepted and turnover. Ball comes back in deep to McMahon. Kicks the ball out on the full giving up scoring opportunity which results in a behind.
  • Takes kick-in. Kicks to player in BP under pressure and almost cut off, but marked in the end.
4th Quarter
  • Strong defensive mark at highest point on the wing.
  • Wins groundball at HB, handball R50.
  • Strong non-contested intercept mark in traffic deep D50.
  • GWS rush kick forward to Pies D50. Up and under. McMahon contests but fails to spoil. Results in scoring opportunity and behind.
I thought McMahon was really poor for 3 quarters and was okay in the 4th.

He lost a lot of contests either trailing his opponent, letting the ball out the back or failing to spoil.

His ball use was poor and he had a few turnovers and near misses.

Two nice strong pack marks where he read the drop of ball the best (encouraging) noting there was congestion but the marks weren't contested.

His disposal numbers look impressive but were misleading because he was taking most of the kick ins.

McMahon still has a lot of development ahead of him and isn't nearly ready yet. He's actually a long way off. This is to be expected as he's only had 5 games in defence so it's a big learning curve still. No doubting he has some strong athletic/physical traits in his speed, height and agility.

It's the 1st Time I really Noticed him in all his Game was in the last Qtr

Remove this Banner Ad

Back