Media 2023 AFLW Swans Talk in Media

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

05NOV23: Fremantle vs Swans Match Reports
OMG We did it everyone! We are in the finals

Herald Sun:

Sydney’s strength for most of their day was contested ball and their stoppage work as they led the clearances at every break. Eventually, that created more scoring opportunities and they kicked away to secure their first finals appearance.

A lot of praise has to go to the Swans’ defence for their efforts in repelling the Dockers’ attack and limiting them to just three points in the second half.

Brenna Tarrant produced one of the best games of her young career, finishing with a game-high nine intercept possessions.

Last edited:
OMG We did it everyone! We are in the finals

Herald Sun:

Sydney’s strength for most of their day was contested ball and their stoppage work as they led the clearances at every break. Eventually, that created more scoring opportunities and they kicked away to secure their first finals appearance.

A lot of praise has to go to the Swans’ defence for their efforts in repelling the Dockers’ attack and limiting them to just three points in the second half.

Brenna Tarrant produced one of the best games of her young career, finishing with a game-high nine intercept possessions.

Birthday girl!

According to FoxFooty there was only a behind separating us from 7th place. If that's true, that's nuts!

Update: I just double checked the maths and it's true. Wow. That's even smaller than the margin that Carlton missed finals by in 2022 I think. Glad it didn't cause us to miss finals!!

Last edited:

I fookin' love Colin. Like Harry Cunningham, he radiates goodness, but whereas Harry is laconic, Colin is passionate and wears his heart on his sleeve. Great rev up speech! And well received by the looks of it.
Had a chat one day with Colin on the boundary line before the ressies game when he was coming back from his eye injury. Delightful fellow. Very easy to talk with. Has gone on to do very interesting things.

08NOV23: SwansW Daily Media
A fair few articles floating around today, it must be finals time.

Round 10 video review - Swans talk right at the start. And can I just say how awesome it is we have not one not two but THREE Swan fans in the AFLW media space

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Montana rocking a black eye after the game

Well spoken for a 19 year old!
"one club"
You can hear Scott Gowans messaging coming through - "believe"

The Swans have the best average crowds in AFLW. Here’s how they did it
In their second season in AFLW, it appears that all eyes are on the Sydney Swans as they prepare for their first finals appearance against the Gold Coast Suns.
Sydney finished the regular AFLW season with the league’s highest average home attendance of 4637, well ahead of their nearest rival Adelaide who averaged 4073 fans.
5722 fans who attended their final home fixture against Collingwood at Henson Park
:heart:

Great comments from Gowan about his interactions wth Horse. There seems to be a very real and genuine one club approach with our AFLW & AFL teams which is fantastic.

We copped a bit of flak for being late into AFLW with the club stating we just weren't ready and it would be detrimental to our AFLW team. Given what I'm seeing now I think that approach was 100% correct.

Also, with our highest attendances in AFLW (seriously the Magpies only get like 2k average) we need to keep building on that at North Sydney & Henson. It does make me wonder though about the impact the upgrade of the Oval in the old Showgrounds will have as they did plan to play AFLW games there. I personally think that would be a mistake now given the crowds we're getting in our suburban grounds.

Molloy who has one message for her teammates in the lead-up to the game - "Keep it simple, stupid."
:kissingheart:
Molloy's larrikin-leadership and on-field prowess has been key to Sydney's ability to drag itself back into contests all year, having found itself behind at quarter-time or half-time in four out of its six winning matches.
"The messaging stays the same; stay humble, embrace it. (Assistant coach) Colin O'Riordan gave a stat to me which is 'only seven per cent of athletes across AFL and AFLW have played finals' and we are now a part of that.
McEvoy isn't yet sweating on the availability of key defender Alice Mitchell, who dislocated a finger in Sydney's win over Fremantle.
"[Mitchell's] got a little bit of soreness but I think she should be fine, I don't think there's any worry, she should be fine to strap it up and get out there," McEvoy said.
"Even if something did happen and someone wasn't to get up we've got a really good group in that the next person will step up and fill that role for us."

Congratulations to these five stars who have been named in the 22Under22 squad,
Laura, Ally, Cynthia, Ella, Lucy

Voting ends 22 Nov

Remove this Banner Ad

Back