Strategy 2023 Bye Round Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Ingy

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Look I know that most new threads have a very limited shelf life on this board.

But I don't think this is being discussed in an organised way that folks can easily access.

It's easier this year, because there are four bye rounds and they're all Best 18.

I feel it's a real opportunity to try to get 22 onfield all four weeks and drop your four worst scores - that is my plan, anyway.

I think ideally you have 2 or 3 from Round 13, because they'll be easily covered that week, and they'll play every other bye round.

My current structure is 5 - 3 - 11 - 11.

Discuss (assuming the thread survives lol)

I don't even bother thinking about the byes until about 4 weeks before the first bye round. It's hard enough selecting a starting team without that headache as well and injuries or suspensions can make any plans redundant real fast.

I don't even bother thinking about the byes until about 4 weeks before the first bye round. It's hard enough selecting a starting team without that headache as well and injuries or suspensions can make any plans redundant real fast.

It's true, and this year it'll be even easier to adjust on the fly.

But if you suddenly realise that you have 18 blokes missing in Round 14, it could become an issue

Gave up picking a team structure for the byes years ago…..

And yes, that’s me in the gif, don’t be so ageist!

Eddie Murphy Whatever GIF by Coming to America

But if you suddenly realise that you have 18 blokes missing in Round 14, it could become an issue
That happens to me most years. Just write the round off and move on.
I do zero bye planning, never have. Take the attitude of what will be will be.
Last season round 13, started with 14 and two of them got injured.

It will be easier to plan for though with only 4 teams having the bye the first 2 rounds. Players like Neale,Stewart,Mills,Touk,Steele will be great upgrade targets.

First 2 bye round will be a piece of piss, 2nd one in particular, still don't understand why the gave 2 teams their own bye week.
Last 2 could be issues, but probably easy enough to navigate with it being across an extra week than usual.

6/12 of my starting premos are round 15 bye (if they survive that long), so just have to make sure I don't trade too many more in, Macrae the only one I'd be eyeing off at the moment so shouldn't be an issue.

It will be easier to plan for though with only 4 teams having the bye the first 2 rounds. Players like Neale,Stewart,Mills,Touk,Steele will be great upgrade targets.

Yep, Saints, Swans, and Lions will be the guys to get in.

Except that some folks use the boosts to try to upgrade their sides early and are theoretically complete by the time the byes arrive.

That isn't how I roll.

I'll be boosting in Rounds 14 and 15, and while it's possible that I sideways say a Cripps to a Zerrett (a premo who starts the year well to a premo who ends it well), most of them will be downgrades and upgrades that skip the players' bye rounds

I have a lot of round 15 premo's (Rozee, Taranto, Green, maybe Hopper) that I will be prepared to sideways at their bye.

As Ingy said it's likely we can get to full premo by round 12/13 if things go our way. As long as trades allow it I plan to just keep upgrading to 23 or 24 premo's if possible.

Will hold a boost as insurance if injuries strike. Rookies are generally the issue in that you rely on them when making your bye calculations in the month prior, then some spud gets injured, and another gets dropped and you are in trouble.

I have a lot of round 15 premo's (Rozee, Taranto, Green, maybe Hopper) that I will be prepared to sideways at their bye.

As Ingy said it's likely we can get to full premo by round 12/13 if things go our way. As long as trades allow it I plan to just keep upgrading to 23 or 24 premo's if possible.

Will hold a boost as insurance if injuries strike. Rookies are generally the issue in that you rely on them when making your bye calculations in the month prior, then some spud gets injured, and another gets dropped and you are in trouble.

Feel like the thread should be renamed Bye Round and Trade Boost Strategy.

I dunno how to do that.

Maybe the mods can accommodate

Feel like the thread should be renamed Bye Round and Trade Boost Strategy.

I dunno how to do that.

Maybe the mods can accommodate

Why they are 2 different things?

We literally get 9 rounds of the year where we can do 3-4 trades

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why they are 2 different things?

We literally get 9 rounds of the year where we can do 3-4 trades

Because some kents, like me, want to put them together and be able to do four trades that skip byes.

Other kents (like, for e.g., Buttox) want to blow their loads early and not have any boosts left by the time the byes arrive.

That's why

Last edited:
Because some kents, like me, want to put them together and be able to do four trades that skip byes.

Other kents (like, for e.g., Buttox) want to blow their loads early and not have any boosts left by the time the byes arrive.

That's way

You can add me too that:moustache:

Capture.JPG

Agree. I play though for league wins so not really an issue. If I get a good overall ranking just take that as a bonus.

Byes are easy wins in league though if your opponent hasn't really planned for the byes.

I don't start thinking about byes until first upgrade - load up on last bye round players and then as you move through the byes bring in premos who have had the bye. Only problem is the extra trades and boosts make this a lot harder as people are more complete pre bye.

Look I know that most new threads have a very limited shelf life on this board.

But I don't think this is being discussed in an organised way that folks can easily access.

It's easier this year, because there are four bye rounds and they're all Best 18.

I feel it's a real opportunity to try to get 22 onfield all four weeks and drop your four worst scores - that is my plan, anyway.

I think ideally you have 2 or 3 from Round 13, because they'll be easily covered that week, and they'll play every other bye round.

My current structure is 5 - 3 - 11 - 11.

Discuss (assuming the thread survives lol)

I have a hard enough time trying to put a good team together let alone worrying about the byes...

So as it stands my team has 15 players with the round 15 bye, including 6 keepers and 11 currently on field. Is this bad or is it okay if I'm just careful not to trade in more premos with the Rd 15 bye?

I think its fine - I am heavy on rd 15 premos but most of my upgrade targets have other bye rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back