Half-forwards:Tom De KoningHarry McKaySam Docherty
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellGeorge Hewett
Jack Martin
Emergencies:David CuninghamBrodie KempMatthew Kennedy
Matthew Owies

Last edited:
They were in disarray - Weitering switched to the other side and while the Dees defenders were setting up around the 40 metre line Hollands decided to play on fast and not kick it to Docherty who was 80 metres out from goal but kicked to the space ahead of Docherty which meant that Docherty could take a bounce and kick it from 55 metres out and hence over the heads of May and Lever and the rest of the Dees.

By the time Acres marked the ball we had four Blues who could have walked into the open goal - Acres, McGovern, TDK and Kemp.

So having Docherty kick it from 55 out rather than 75-80 out made all the difference in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Deeper entries are key imo
Put a lot more pressure on opposition defenders.
I should’ve added, that’s as long as there’s no one out who’s leading at the ball carrier 👍

Last edited:

I don't accept any criticism of Charlie. Not to say there's a lot here but from the wider AFL.

You're talking about an undersized KPF (he's below 195cm, small by modern KP standards) playing as the sole tall target inside 50, with some support from TDK*, surrounded by smalls against the best defence of the past handful of years with the best 1-2 KPD combination in the game. He has basically no chance of kicking a bag when they're able to simply double him every contest. The best we can expect from Charlie is to compete and not be beaten to the point where his opponent sets up play. Aside from about 5 minutes vs May he also had very little intercepting impact as did Lever.

He tirelessly competed against hopeless odds and got us the win. He did it last time we played them too. Everyone will praise May for shutting him down, but what forward would single handedly dominate those 2 inside 50 with little to no support? Aside from Curnow not kicking goals, what impact have Lever & May had against us in the last 2 games? Who won both games?

Looks nice to say May is beating Curnow, but I'd argue he's broke even enough that he May has had no impact, with Lever also having little. The results from both games would suggest as much.

(though it has to be said he has little forward craft which we've seen over an extended period of time. 2 goals was a fantastic return but he was far from a consistent inside 50 threat or target after those 2)

Check out page 24 this thread post 583 - I posted a number of events/locations

Keep up ffs :D

I don't accept any criticism of Charlie. Not to say there's a lot here but from the wider AFL.

You're talking about an undersized KPF (he's below 195cm, small by modern KP standards) playing as the sole tall target inside 50, with some support from TDK*, surrounded by smalls against the best defence of the past handful of years with the best 1-2 KPD combination in the game. He has basically no chance of kicking a bag when they're able to simply double him every contest. The best we can expect from Charlie is to compete and not be beaten to the point where his opponent sets up play. Aside from about 5 minutes vs May he also had very little intercepting impact as did Lever.

He tirelessly competed against hopeless odds and got us the win. He did it last time we played them too. Everyone will praise May for shutting him down, but what forward would single handedly dominate those 2 inside 50 with little to no support? Aside from Curnow not kicking goals, what impact have Lever & May had against us in the last 2 games? Who won both games?

Looks nice to say May is beating Curnow, but I'd argue he's broke even enough that he May has had no impact, with Lever also having little. The results from both games would suggest as much.

(though it has to be said he has little forward craft which we've seen over an extended period of time. 2 goals was a fantastic return but he was far from a consistent inside 50 threat or target after those 2)

I think the only criticism is that he was dropping his head late in the game when we were still a chance of winning.
People need to understand May is the best FB in the comp, he's literally impossible to move and he was able to negate Charlie's influence by playing him very close.

No May this week.

I think the only criticism is that he was dropping his head late in the game when we were still a chance of winning.
People need to understand May is the best FB in the comp, he's literally impossible to move and he was able to negate Charlie's influence by playing him very close.

No May this week.
I'm not convinced he dropped his head I think he just got beaten a couple times.

Don't care how many goals Charlie or any other player kicks, who handballs, marks, etc

This team has been selfless for some time, hence the belief that everyone plays their part in our success
What if he kicks 6 and we win.. would you care then?

Charlie will be taking info from every game. He had a tough night but he was involved in significant moments in the match. Could have been a 3 goal night but for some near misses. I’ve watched the replay a couple of times and he was providing a contest and that’s what you want from every player. Not a great night but nothing to be disheartened by.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No May this week.
Thats right.......September. :cool:

Charlie will be taking info from every game. He had a tough night but he was involved in significant moments in the match. Could have been a 3 goal night but for some near misses. I’ve watched the replay a couple of times and he was providing a contest and that’s what you want from every player. Not a great night but nothing to be disheartened by.

Yep Charlie was inches away from kicking 3.0 instead of 1.2

Plus he made the tackle which led to a turnover which Doch picked up and handballed to Motlop who scored and got us to within a goal at the end

And he got himself open at the same time Acres was and would have been the winning goal kicker had Doch not seen Acres

CC nearly kicked 3 wit 2 touched on the line and was unlucky not to get a few frees (called for by the commentators on the night). The frees not being paid allowed May to keep manhandling and taking any run away. He also dropped a few marks in got positions he should have taken. Not too far from being a really good game

Yep Charlie was inches away from kicking 3.0 instead of 1.2

Plus he made the tackle which led to a turnover which Doch picked up and handballed to Motlop who scored and got us to within a goal at the end

And he got himself open at the same time Acres was and would have been the winning goal kicker had Doch not seen Acres

Was involved in the Owies goal as well.

the problem was for most of the game he was taking on May, Lever and a few others....

No Harry, no Martin to take the heat off him....
Totally agree wit this.
Having McKay & Martin, will be a huge change to the forward dynamics.
It will help let Charlie off the chain and have other genuine fwd marking options.
I 'm thinking Cunners & Kennedy will make way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back