VFL 2023 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Please point to where I suggested that he was a s**t bloke? I never commented on his character, don't make it sound like I said something that I didn't, thanks. He hasn't been done over, it's footy, plenty of more accomplished VFL/AFL players have been let go of before. You don't think that the 5 years before this year were enough for him to show enough to secure a place in our team? At the end of the day, I support the Club, players come and go, and I'm not worried about what happens with fringe players. I'd rather be continually looking to make the list stronger.
I didn’t say you said he’s a s**t bloke, I’m saying he is (tongue in cheek). The bloke should be the poster child for doing the right thing for his club, has busted his ass & hasn’t sooked at all which quite frankly he has every right to do

Saying he stayed for the money isn’t exactly a glowing endorsement. Even if if he was on big dollars (which I think is total big footy bullshit- the media would be all over it if it was. Could u imagine the media not taking the opportunity to kick us if we were paying him $500k to play reserves?) if he was offered a contract they would smooth it out over a few yrs
Pretty sure that is your interpretation, not actually what I said. I said good for him as I wouldn't blame anyone for doing so. Couldn't give a damn what the media made of it, to be honest. Anyway, agree to disagree, I said what I think already.

Dow should’ve played this week against WCE. They’re not going to play him first up against Brisbane, Footscray or Collingwood.

From the outside looking in he deserves a go based on form. Perhaps he has been told to work on aspects of his game and he simply hasn’t or can’t but let’s not act like any of us would know what’s going on. I have been Paddy’s biggest critic but to me he has been hard done by.

That is dead set disgusting- doesn’t need to do anything more, we know that others are struggling but we are backing them & he can just rot.
100% wrong to do this to a kid & horrible for the team ethos.

Probably sums up where our team selection is at these days. For some guys they don't really need to be playing well - they just get a game (Honey, Hewett - until recently plow). For others it doesn't matter how good their form is they won't play regardless.

I agree that the message this sends to the entire playing group is far from ideal.

My idea of logic is that you don't play those who have no part in your future plans.

Yes this might apply for veteran players like Ed Curnow, or if we are in a total re-building phase. It doesn't make sense when you apply this with Dow who is only 23.
What kind of future plan is it when players like Fish and LOB gets more games than Dow?

Probably sums up where our team selection is at these days. For some guys they don't really need to be playing well - they just get a game (Honey, Hewett - until recently plow). For others it doesn't matter how good their form is they won't play regardless.

I agree that the message this sends to the entire playing group is far from ideal.
Spot on!

Yes this might apply for veteran players like Ed Curnow, or if we are in a total re-building phase. It doesn't make sense when you apply this with Dow who is only 23.
What kind of future plan is it when players like Fish and LOB gets more games than Dow?
Shows how bad we are at that end of the list, I'd have all 3 of them gone.

I don't know why anybody would be surprised by this response. The fact that he was asked to explore his options at the end of last year and he decided not to should give a clue to what's gone on this year. He stayed to take full advantage of his contract, good for him, but it should have been obvious that he wasn't part of our plans moving forward. All he is doing is occupying a list spot that we could have used differently.
This is rubbish commentary on a blues player who wants to prove it to the club that gave him his chance.

This is rubbish commentary on a blues player who wants to prove it to the club that gave him his chance.
I consider your continued sniping of my commentary to be 'rubbish commentary', now go crawl back under your rock please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And where exactly is this mythical $500k sourced from? Would love a direct source
The average AFL player salary is currently in the $365K bracket. Paddy signed a 3 year contact extension in 2018 when he was going well and considered to be a key plank in our future - in a poor team with plenty of salary cap space. It wouldn't take too much to estimate that his salary would be around the $500K mark give or take a little. Somewhere along the line a further year was added to the contract (this year).

Fairly unlikely that the club would be giving you the direct source that you are requesting as they are the only ones that could. Strange that many on here assume salaries (e.g. McGovern, Martin) to help denigrate players but refuse to accept fairly logical figures if it doesn't help their argument.

I'd be interested to hear (bearing in mind the above) what you believe his likely salary figure to be?

Only message that counts is what the coaches have with each player

And even after today, where Dow was poor, I am sure he understands why he isn't being selected
Exactly, but saying nonsense like he's taking a list spot up when he's probably better centre square midfield depth than most clubs has is equally a bad take.

The average AFL player salary is currently in the $365K bracket. Paddy signed a 3 year contact extension in 2018 when he was going well and considered to be a key plank in our future - in a poor team with plenty of salary cap space. It wouldn't take too much to estimate that his salary would be around the $500K mark give or take a little. Somewhere along the line a further year was added to the contract (this year).

Fairly unlikely that the club would be giving you the direct source that you are requesting as they are the only ones that could. Strange that many on here assume salaries (e.g. McGovern, Martin) to help denigrate players but refuse to accept fairly logical figures if it doesn't help their argument.

I'd be interested to hear (bearing in mind the above) what you believe his likely salary figure to be?
So we paid him $1.5m over 3 in his 1st yr? I don’t think so… not sure what he’s being paid but definitely not that - $365k would be a lot closer to the number if that

I'll comment on posts that are unbalanced as much as I like. You post like you support the club then snipe.at dow. Go figure.
I've supported the club for over half a century, supporting the club is very different from having to be a fanboi of individual players. I've never even stuck the boots into Dow lol. I've just said that it's clear that he hasn't made it and isn't in our future plans. You've taken it wherever it suits your own agenda to take it. You make it personal when talking of 'rubbish takes' just because they don't fall in line with what you think. Open your mind to all types of different opinions, you will be better for it.

Comfortable with what I was told

But, nor can you or anyone else claim he isn't on that coin
Doesn't really matter anyway. As long as he's on the list I'll support him. Just as I do all Carlton players. I might say stuff like player X deserves more time in the ones or player y isn't travelling well enough and needs to play vfl but you won't see me outright calling a player a waste of a list spot.

I've supported the club for over half a century, supporting the club is very different from having to be a fanboi of individual players. I've never even stuck the boots into Dow lol. I've just said that it's clear that he hasn't made it and isn't in our future plans. You've taken it wherever it suits your own agenda to take it. You make it personal when talking of 'rubbish takes' just because they don't fall in line with what you think. Open your mind to all types of different opinions, you will be better for it.
You just said he's a waste of a list spot. Don't take the open your mind route - tis the route the arrogant ones take when someone disagrees with them. Not the other way round. I object to you calling someone a waste of a list spot whilst they're wearing the navy blue. Then hiding behind supporting the club and calling me a fanboy.

Cool don't support Dow but don't call it fanboying when someone is does want to see him get another go - maybe he's improved ? His vfl performances have undeniably improved since Voss took over. We're allowed to want to see how that would translate to the ones.

PS you're the one who went personal straight away with the whinge. I don't care who posts what. I treat a post on its merits and not by the poster.

So we paid him $1.5m over 3 in his 1st yr? I don’t think so… not sure what he’s being paid but definitely not that - $365k would be a lot closer to the number if that
So success starved club with heaps of cap space goes to number 3 draft pick at the start of his first season and says "we'll pay you the average wage" and he says "righto, where do I sign"?

You just said he's a waste of a list spot.
He is when it's clear that we didn't want him on the list this year.
Don't take the open your mind route - tis the route the arrogant ones take when someone disagrees with them.
Arrogance doesn't have anything to do with my opinions, they are mine, I don't think that I have ever said to you that your takes are 'rubbish', thinking that you can do that may indicate arrogance more than anything else.
Not the other way round. I object to you calling someone a waste of a list spot whilst they're wearing the navy blue. Then hiding behind supporting the club and calling me a fanboy.

You can object all you like, I don't think that I broke any rules by stating my opinion.
Cool don't support Dow but don't call it fanboying when someone is does want to see him get another go - maybe he's improved ? His vfl performances have undeniably improved since Voss took over. We're allowed to want to see how that would translate to the ones.
I'll leave it to the coaches to decide as they pay the price when things don't work out, thank god that they don't listen to us supporters too much.
PS you're the one who went personal straight away with the whinge. I don't care who posts what. I treat a post on its merits and not by the poster.
You've been sniping for at least a week, enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back