VFL 2023 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop making excuses for LOB. The kick was rubbish.
The decision was a rushed 2nd option, the kick was not rubbish under that paradigm. O'Brien was still one of our best mids across the day.
Sick of the handball game. We need a goal to win and players just handball until they turn it over at midfield. Lochie O'Brien has no footy brain either, he just blasts away when there were teammates free inside 50.
I haven't read someone say that about Carlton in over 20 years, and I don't believe it to be true, either. * I'm getting old
O’Brien has no right foot which gives him far fewer options to choose from. Didn’t have time to straighten up on the run so he had to stop and prop.

It does my head in that a professional footballer can have such glaring weaknesses and simply not work on them.
His right foot is passable, but not at the end of a game under pressure. It's a rare move for him to make, as he usually shakes the pressure off with his run.
For those too lazy

Serious Question (video idea)

the different roles was interesting, with only a few months left on his deal! what would you try with him and why?

Go brains trust
Dump Fisher, lead-up general forward rotating midfield, swapping with Silvagni, Cripps, maybe Kennedy if he makes it back in. It's the role I wanted to see for Kemp but we keep training him as a defender.
Anyone else notice one S.Silvagni at the game today.
TDK, Dow, O'Brien... also has some options on the Dogs list he could pick away at. There's other options too if their medical and physio staff believe they can correct certain issues.

Look at SPS tonight.

I know it's only Harley Reid's first game for us, but Binns has only played 5 or 6, he's going to be something else, for pick 32.
I'm unsure whether he's a natural forward or does his best work creating chains from HB and Wing?
It’s funny because Binns is a fair bit closer to Reid’s age then he is Hollands for example.
He is an interesting player, I think he will end up a little bit like a Polec.

Plowman is frustrating even at this level. Incredible he played an AFL game this year. Truly Incredible. Can’t kick. Can’t jump. Fumbles. Can’t run. Can’t turn corners in less than 30 minutes.

Cotts is the sort of mentaliy tough player we need in the seniors. His composure in the final quarter was telling.
Out of curiosity, in the game he played against Adelaide, how many goals did Plow have kicked on him?

The play half way through the last where Cotts smothered a ball in our D50, we transitioned quickly….and yet Cotts bobbed up to be on the end of it and goaled from 50 was just absolutley sensational stuff.

I think his lack of accumulation may prevent him from getting a game this week but gee he did some great stuff.

I’m not as big on Binns getting a game yet. His kicking efficiency under no pressure is not quite there for mine. It has improved but I wouldn’t want to bring him in to a game like this yet.

The play half way through the last where Cotts smothered a ball in our D50, we transitioned quickly….and yet Cotts bobbed up to be on the end of it and goaled from 50 was just absolutley sensational stuff.

I think his lack of accumulation may prevent him from getting a game this week but gee he did some great stuff.

I’m not as big on Binns getting a game yet. His kicking efficiency under no pressure is not quite there for mine. It has improved but I wouldn’t want to bring him in to a game like this yet.

And kicking was the blot on his game at drafting. Hopefully we have the right folk in there working on this.
See Ed Langdon but there’s the coaching of M.Williams benefiting MFC players. We need to find someone similar for our skills & goal kicking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And kicking was the blot on his game at drafting. Hopefully we have the right folk in there working on this.
See Ed Langdon but there’s the coaching of M.Williams benefiting MFC players. We need to find someone similar for our skills & goal kicking.
His kicking has imrovoed a lot. Both since last year and during this year so far. Don’t get me wrong - I think he’s going to play 200 games and his kicking will be just fine.

Just wouldn’t play him in this block of 5 as it would be a baptism of fire. A lot of pressure. Cotts has completely cleaned up his ball use. I’d just play him. You know exactly what you’re going to get if he plays.

The only player that I can think of pulling the trigger on that sought of kick is Charlie, I can't see Fish or Ed ever doing this, and I mean never. Cottrel is the closest we have to mimic what Collingwood do with McCreery with his discipline/low possession big impact style.

Dow should’ve played this week against WCE. They’re not going to play him first up against Brisbane, Footscray or Collingwood.

From the outside looking in he deserves a go based on form. Perhaps he has been told to work on aspects of his game and he simply hasn’t or can’t but let’s not act like any of us would know what’s going on. I have been Paddy’s biggest critic but to me he has been hard done by.
Only way Dow plays is if 4 of Cripps, Cerra, Walsh, Kennedy and Hewett are unavailable. He held the club to his contract when the club wanted him gone. As is his right, but he won't get a game in the AFL.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cottrell's smother and then run forward is insane. The kind of running power that can cover for our slower midfield.

From the highlights LOB looked like he had a damaging game with 2 goals (one with a clearance then a broken tackle) and 4 or 5 kicks inside 50 hitting targets. I think LOB has been harshly judged this year. Was getting more of the ball last year than Hollands this year. Only played 1 full game this year and while the fans were in full whipping boy mode, the criticism was over the top. Kicking the ball OOTF while under pressure on the wing is not a major issue. Leads to a slow turnover. Same with getting caught holding the ball in traffic. Much better than a hack kick that is turned over and leads to quick rebound. His mistakes did not hurt as opposed to the JSOS missed kicks in that game.

Harley Reid looked dynamic with 3 great highlights (though doesn't look like he has a left foot)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back