VFL 2023 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ash Hansen on Dow ...

Audio:-

For those too lazy

Serious Question (video idea)

the different roles was interesting, with only a few months left on his deal! what would you try with him and why?

Go brains trust

Attachments

• Make Money Youtube Thumbnail (1).png
    Make Money Youtube Thumbnail (1).png
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
When Owies is fit, Owies gets picked. The history is there. Not sure who else comes out of the forward mix.

Newman, Weitering, Kemp
Saad, McGovern, Docherty
Acres, Cripps, [Hollands/Binns]
Pittonet, Cerra, Walsh
Motlop, Curnow, Cottrell
Durdin, McKay, JSOS
I/C: Young, Cincotta, [Hewett/Kennedy], Owies
Sub: [Boyd/Kennedy/Hewett/Fisher]

Coaches comments indicated they've been really impressed with Kemp at reserves level, so hopefully he's in for a good while now.

Binns has been one of the most consistent
performers and hardest workers, but I think he and Hollands are sharing one spot this season.

Cottrell brings plenty to the forward mix.

Boyd gives us drive and disposal which we sorely lack, but with Kemp and Cincotta in the backline is already a little overstocked now, if anything.

Is there anyone else in the reserves demanding selection?
Our Bunch of small forwards have been trying,with some average results
Owies can return,as he has done...
Our future hopes on improvement would be with the skillful Motlop
Honey will probably not stay in
Durdin can be rested as well....
We need to boost percentage this evening on the AFL ladder......Blue need to redefine a working and a more dominant midfield and the rest will fall into place

Being in the West, I would be amazed if any of our emergencies other than TDK play in the reserves.

TDK, Mirkov, Lemmey and O’Keeffe all playing will give us a good look at the potential future.

Great to see Cottrell back to add some dash with Boydy.

Nice to get a look at Reid, think we will miss Carroll, but strange a young buck just finding some good touch is given a blow. Wonder if he has taken a flight back home to WA with the boys?
Le met could be an option as fwd/ruck but wi5 Okeefe and
On the Clubhouse terrace watching on my phone and avoiding the practise range before hit off in 15 mins - TDK was playing with all the enthusiasm and finesse of a banana peel. Mirkov I've red lined as a waste of time as far as listed player goes. Lemmey's set-shot kicking has gone backwards. I thought Dow played well - although I only watched the final quarter. Cottrell's goal was a beauty - what a contrast to LoB who refuses to take the game on from same position and have a go - that is a huge difference right there in football IQ as well as lack of comic cats. Bins has got some leg speed but haven't seen enough of him to comment on anything else.

The Club needs to find a VFL Captain - his role should be to help develop players not be 'the' player calling for LoB top hit him up against two players marking hm and he cant jump anyway- that was really bad - more so for LoB who should have ignored his silly call and looked for other team mates if he wasn't going to have a ping himself - cant understand players who stop and prop with clear space between themselves and goals.
Ed Curnow should have been appointed VFL captain

Plowman is frustrating even at this level. Incredible he played an AFL game this year. Truly Incredible. Can’t kick. Can’t jump. Fumbles. Can’t run. Can’t turn corners in less than 30 minutes.

As long as he doesn't get another one. Surely behind Cowan and Boyd at this point with Williams still out. We can hopefully just close that chapter in the club's history.

Binns - how good is it to have a recruitment team able to pluck guys like him and Cowan with late-ish picks? Another tick for Austin - albeit with zero AFL games.

Lemmey 7 marks progressing nicely. 0.3 unusual for him. Normally such a good kick.

Thirsty Mirk - awesome signs there today. 210cm and a jump like that - we just have to persevere. 40 hitouts, 3 marks and 13 pos probably his best all round game so far. Pitto has yet to better that this year (albeit at AFL level).

Reid has some real class. Looked a bit lost in the first half but started to find some space when they moved him between midfield and forward a bit more. I think he'll start as a forward at AFL level next year.

I wish more of the U18s played VFL.

Not too bothered about the result. Sullivan for the dogs was the difference. Little nugget.

Ash Hansen on Dow ...

That's a terrible response, essentially saying form doesn't matter.

Can coaching get much worse than this.

Ash Hansen on Dow ...

Well after listening to that blabbering response from a senior assistant coach, no wonder we're playing like we are.

Le met could be an option as fwd/ruck but wi5 Okeefe and

Ed Curnow should have been appointed VFL captain
I think if Afl make finals,which todays game might indicate,Ed gets finals...for the club to get some kind of closure from MM and the predicament that followed the last 10yrs......ED has 9/10 work ethic........its payday for him👍

So on todays game only Binns a chance for selection next week?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cottrell looked like he hadn’t missed a beat and was running on top of the ground right until the final siren. Depending on how he pulls up he could be considered.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those too lazy

Serious Question (video idea)

the different roles was interesting, with only a few months left on his deal! what would you try with him and why?

Go brains trust
I don't know why anybody would be surprised by this response. The fact that he was asked to explore his options at the end of last year and he decided not to should give a clue to what's gone on this year. He stayed to take full advantage of his contract, good for him, but it should have been obvious that he wasn't part of our plans moving forward. All he is doing is occupying a list spot that we could have used differently.

I don't know why anybody would be surprised by this response. The fact that he was asked to explore his options at the end of last year and he decided not to should give a clue to what's gone on this year. He stayed to take full advantage of his contract, good for him, but it should have been obvious that he wasn't part of our plans moving forward. All he is doing is occupying a list spot that we could have used differently.
rubbish take on a player that still wears the navy blue aint it??

Dow is still a blues player regardless of what was discussed internally last year...

he has been doing well for some time and mids in the senior team in last few games have not...its only logical that dow should be getting opportunity

hansens response and voss's 2022 commentary around Dow has been pretty poor

Ash Hansen on Dow ...

That is dead set disgusting- doesn’t need to do anything more, we know that others are struggling but we are backing them & he can just rot.
100% wrong to do this to a kid & horrible for the team ethos.

rubbish take on a player that still wears the navy blue aint it??

Dow is still a blues player regardless of what was discussed internally last year...

he has been doing well for some time and mids in the senior team in last few games have not...its only logical that dow should be getting opportunity

hansens response and voss's 2022 commentary around Dow has been pretty poor
No, I obviously don't consider it to be a 'rubbish' take. I posted based on realism, not emotion. He is a Blues player and he is serving the club where it believes he best suits, in the reserves.

Doing well in the reserves ,but still hasn't got any better in the areas he is deficient in, might also be a clue as to why he's not playing.

I wanted him to succeed from the moment he arrived at Carlton but quite clearly it hasn't happened, I'm sick of the club holding on to players who are perpetually injured or who just aren't going to make it for far too long, that is actually what one of our biggest issues is. We need to become more ruthless in this regard, otherwise, we will never succeed.

My idea of logic is that you don't play those who have no part in your future plans.

I'm comfortable with where it sits as far as Dow goes, his inclusion in the seniors won't make us a better team.

How’s it taking advantage of a contract? That’s total bullshit, he wants to be part of the club if he was offered a contract and starting minutes then money wouldn’t have stopped it. He’s obviously a s**t bloke for busting his gut when the club is comprehensively doing him over 🤪

How’s it taking advantage of a contract? That’s total bullshit, he wants to be part of the club if he was offered a contract and starting minutes then money wouldn’t have stopped it. He’s obviously a s**t bloke for busting his gut when the club is comprehensively doing him over 🤪
Please point to where I suggested that he was a s**t bloke? I never commented on his character, don't make it sound like I said something that I didn't, thanks. He hasn't been done over, it's footy, plenty of more accomplished VFL/AFL players have been let go of before. You don't think that the 5 years before this year were enough for him to show enough to secure a place in our team? At the end of the day, I support the Club, players come and go, and I'm not worried about what happens with fringe players. I'd rather be continually looking to make the list stronger.

Please point to where I suggested that he was a s**t bloke? I never commented on his character, don't make it sound like I said something that I didn't, thanks. He hasn't been done over, it's footy, plenty of more accomplished VFL/AFL players have been let go of before. You don't think that the 5 years before this year were enough for him to show enough to secure a place in our team? At the end of the day, I support the Club, players come and go, and I'm not worried about what happens with fringe players. I'd rather be continually looking to make the list stronger.
Saying he stayed for the money isn’t exactly a glowing endorsement. Even if if he was on big dollars (which I think is total big footy bullshit- the media would be all over it if it was. Could u imagine the media not taking the opportunity to kick us if we were paying him $500k to play reserves?) if he was offered a contract they would smooth it out over a few yrs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back