VFL 2023 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Boyd needs another week. Prob Cotts will too, but both should be returning soonish if spots open up for them. Would definitely like to see Binns get a run.
I only watched the second half and I agree, another week at least for Boyd. Didn't look anywhere near as assured as he was pre-injury.

Cotts looked like he could have played another game straight after. The guy is a freak.

As long as we have the likes of Binns & Cotts putting the pressure on Ed, Fish and Honey I’m happy
I know he's seen as a running machine but could Cotts be utilized as a run with player? Good size, strong and could hurt his opponent with his enormous running ability going the other way.

Anyone trying to break his tag will need to be a fitness beast. Ed has the endurance but not the wheels anymore.

Conversation around TDK during the week or so has been interesting… managed, cork, dropped, ‘banged up’, ‘work on his game’….

And now this effort. Disappointing. Something’s up 🤨
Late in the game TDK back palmed a ruck contest straight down Dow's gullet running at full pace and I had a flash image of them both wearing hooped guernseys in the future.

Dow disposal was really poor, but, there was 4-5 occasions where I haven't seen him chase back that hard in well over 12 months, more of that please

Binns developing very well, really do think he will debut 2nd half of the season

Cotts seemed like he had great touch. Boyd scratchy early, but starting to find his groove. Both will put pressure on tge senior side soon

Mirkov & Akeui, I doubt either will make it, from what I have seen this year.

Plow is this level, LOB had mixed moments

O'Keffee continues to show good moments, just needs to build a body
Binns could / should step up soon. Not against HFF to replace Fisher. This week has gone but happy for Friday night.
LB listens to the idjot Crocker and sends teh bnall to him 2 on 1 leaving a Carlton player in the square unmarked= stoopid football

Crocker is a leader but regularly stumps up selfish or stupid footballing.

If Voss wants to play 2 ruckmen in the seniors, I'd pick Mirkov ahead of TDK at this stage.

Long way to go for TDK.

Today in the 2s Darcy showed what you want from a developing ruckman - good positional awareness and good judgment of ball flight - TDK has neither.

I’m starting to think Tdk is no good and it might be better to develop Akeui as a back up ruck as he has better judgement and also is an option to play back or forward.

Mirkov has even less football IQ and versatility than TDK so I can’t see any future in him. If we play 2 rucks in the league then it’s Pitto and Young.

O’Keefe on the other hand looks like he knows what he’s doing in the ruck and can also play forward. He won’t play league this season but he’s definitely a keeper.

I know he's seen as a running machine but could Cotts be utilized as a run with player? Good size, strong and could hurt his opponent with his enormous running ability going the other way.

Anyone trying to break his tag will need to be a fitness beast. Ed has the endurance but not the wheels anymore.

Yep. He’s the obvious replacement for Ed.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

On the Clubhouse terrace watching on my phone and avoiding the practise range before hit off in 15 mins - TDK was playing with all the enthusiasm and finesse of a banana peel. Mirkov I've red lined as a waste of time as far as listed player goes. Lemmey's set-shot kicking has gone backwards. I thought Dow played well - although I only watched the final quarter. Cottrell's goal was a beauty - what a contrast to LoB who refuses to take the game on from same position and have a go - that is a huge difference right there in football IQ as well as lack of comic cats. Bins has got some leg speed but haven't seen enough of him to comment on anything else.

The Club needs to find a VFL Captain - his role should be to help develop players not be 'the' player calling for LoB top hit him up against two players marking hm and he cant jump anyway- that was really bad - more so for LoB who should have ignored his silly call and looked for other team mates if he wasn't going to have a ping himself - cant understand players who stop and prop with clear space between themselves and goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the Clubhouse terrace watching on my phone and avoiding the practise range before hit off in 15 mins - TDK was playing with all the enthusiasm and finesse of a banana peel. Mirkov I've red lined as a waste of time as far as listed player goes. Lemmey's set-shot kicking has gone backwards. I thought Dow played well - although I only watched the final quarter. Cottrell's goal was a beauty - what a contrast to LoB who refuses to take the game on from same position and have a go - that is a huge difference right there in football IQ as well as lack of comic cats. Bins has got some leg speed but haven't seen enough of him to comment on anything else.

The Club needs to find a VFL Captain - his role should be to help develop players not be 'the' player calling for LoB top hit him up against two players marking hm and he cant jump anyway- that was really bad - more so for LoB who should have ignored his silly call and looked for other team mates if he wasn't going to have a ping himself - cant understand players who stop and prop with clear space between themselves and goals.

O’Brien has no right foot which gives him far fewer options to choose from. Didn’t have time to straighten up on the run so he had to stop and prop.

It does my head in that a professional footballer can have such glaring weaknesses and simply not work on them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's about the only one today.
Who does he replace, Hollands or Fish?
Looked like TDK's already got his bag packed.
Should replace Ed, although I’d pick him ahead of Honey too, he’d provide a hell of a lot more as a forward with more footy IQ endurance workrate and overall game sense, can help create/setup scoring chains/opportunities and probably actually kick goals himself…

Should replace Ed, although I’d pick him ahead of Honey too, he’d provide a hell of a lot more as a forward with more footy IQ endurance workrate and overall game sense, can help create/setup scoring chains/opportunities and probably actually kick goals himself…
I know it's only Harley Reid's first game for us, but Binns has only played 5 or 6, he's going to be something else, for pick 32.
I'm unsure whether he's a natural forward or does his best work creating chains from HB and Wing?

Ash Hansen on Dow ...

Audio:-

What are we thinking folks - over the next few weeks we aim for:

- Cottrell for Ed.
- Motlop for Honey.
- Owies for Fisher.
- Boyd the sub.

That's as close as we're getting to full strength, I think.

I reckon Binns gets a few games to rest/manage Hollands at some point. Works for both of them - Binns gets a taste of senior footy, Hollands gets a spell and comes back fresh for the second half of the year.

What are we thinking folks - over the next few weeks we aim for:

- Cottrell for Ed.
- Motlop for Honey.
- Owies for Fisher.
- Boyd the sub.

That's as close as we're getting to full strength, I think.

I reckon Binns gets a few games to rest/manage Hollands at some point. Works for both of them - Binns gets a taste of senior footy, Hollands gets a spell and comes back fresh for the second half of the year.
Owies for Fisher.?
Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Owies for Fisher.?
Season 6 What GIF by The Office

When Owies is fit, Owies gets picked. The history is there. Not sure who else comes out of the forward mix.

Newman, Weitering, Kemp
Saad, McGovern, Docherty
Acres, Cripps, [Hollands/Binns]
Pittonet, Cerra, Walsh
Motlop, Curnow, Cottrell
Durdin, McKay, JSOS
I/C: Young, Cincotta, [Hewett/Kennedy], Owies
Sub: [Boyd/Kennedy/Hewett/Fisher]

Coaches comments indicated they've been really impressed with Kemp at reserves level, so hopefully he's in for a good while now.

Binns has been one of the most consistent
performers and hardest workers, but I think he and Hollands are sharing one spot this season.

Cottrell brings plenty to the forward mix.

Boyd gives us drive and disposal which we sorely lack, but with Kemp and Cincotta in the backline is already a little overstocked now, if anything.

Is there anyone else in the reserves demanding selection?

When Owies is fit, Owies gets picked. The history is there. Not sure who else comes out of the forward mix.

Newman, Weitering, Kemp
Saad, McGovern, Docherty
Acres, Cripps, Hollands/Binns
Pittonet, Cerra, Walsh
Motlop, Curnow, Cottrell
Durdin, McKay, JSOS
I/C: Young, Cincotta, Hewett/Kennedy, Owies
Sub: Boyd/Kennedy/Hewett/Fisher

Coaches comments indicated they've been really impressed with Kemp at reserves level, so hopefully he's in for a good while now.

Binns has been one of the most consistent
performers and hardest workers, but I think he and Hollands are sharing one spot this season.

Cottrell brings plenty to the forward mix.

Boyd gives us drive and disposal which we sorely lack.

Is there anyone else in the reserves demanding selection?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back