VFL 2023 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheldrick, Hickey, HHK and maybe McAndrew are the only of our players that have a chance of playing senior footy. The rest would struggle to stand out in an SFL side.
I don’t think Vickery is ready for senior footy but I thought he had some good passages and probably his best outing so far.

Sheldrick, Hickey, HHK and maybe McAndrew are the only of our players that have a chance of playing senior footy. The rest would struggle to stand out in an SFL side.
Didn't see the whole game but thought Sheather played decently although I am still not sure why he is playing in defence given how good he looked in his first year playing forward.

Sheldrick 35 disposals 5 marks 6 tackles 2 goals just put his own magnet on the board next week

The rest largely did nothing to put pressure on senior players
Definitely looked a level above most other players out there and would have more of an impact than Cunningham.

Do you think Hickey play enough minutes to come into the seniors next week?

Sheldrick 35 disposals 5 marks 6 tackles 2 goals just put his own magnet on the board next week

Good all round game from Gus. Against him is Horse supports minimal possessions from his midfield.

I hope they give him some time on ball - maybe take some of Parker’s cba’s? As we desperately need that extractor if Mills isn’t in there

McAndrew from what I did see of the game looks like a genuine prospect and could at a pinch play seniors this year if we have any more injuries.
Sheldrick was good should be a chance for next week.
Very scrappy disposals and getting rushed in possession. Hickey will probably be up for senior selection hopefully he can replace McLean.

Not been a great weekend for Swans fans. :( (and having turned over to the Haw/Adel game, bloody Hawks are in front). EDIT; THANKS CROWS (well except for that whole Dawson thing).

If Sheldrick plays in the seniors next week, as I hope he does, it must be on-ball.
Wins the contested ball without any difficulty and his handballing is fine, but lacks poise/precision with his kicking.
Mind you our ball use across the team was poor.

McAndrew had a height advantage, but I liked his tapwork and had a very nice connection with Gus.

As mentioned by MisterB far too often we did not take the first option. Need to recognise when under pressure and understand the pace of the game and the space available.

Be interesting if Hickey is promoted next week. Had very limited minutes in the 2nd half.

Cleary had more disposals than Kirk, but I liked the latter's game. Unsurprisingly hard nosed, but decent ball use and he can get up in the air.

Warner was decent. Hard at it, nice pace, but needs to settle before kicking.
A few other players had occasional moments
But IMO only Hickey, Sheldrick & Warner would come under seniors consideration next week.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely looked a level above most other players out there and would have more of an impact than Cunningham.

Do you think Hickey play enough minutes to come into the seniors next week?
Given McAndrews did a lot of the ruck work, particularly in the second half, I would think his return has been managed and he will need another week.

Didn't see the whole game but thought Sheather played decently although I am still not sure why he is playing in defence given how good he looked in his first year playing forward.
Sheather seems to be the most under rated player in the side.
He has far the best disposal by hand or foot, especially his 30m handballs to advantage.
When playing forward he is a good goalkicker from all angles. He reads the play well and has excellent speed and stamina.
His injury is the only reason he has not already debuted.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sheather seems to be the most under rated player in the side.
He has far the best disposal by hand or foot, especially his 30m handballs to advantage.
When playing forward he is a good goalkicker from all angles. He reads the play well and has excellent speed and stamina.
His injury is the only reason he has not already debuted.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
💯This is seen particularly if you are watching the game live and not on tv.

If the swans listened to the experts on these threads, especially after a loss, there would be 18 players dropped from the AFL team and 10 delisting from the squad. People need to take a breath and settle down. You are not going to get any superstars by delisting the young players in the vfl team. I would say most only watch the games on tv and would have no idea what the players are told and what their roles are. Not everyone is going to have 20+ disposals. You need a mix of A graders, good players and role players to make a champion team. It is not like there is a plethora of players who are not in the system that would do a better job then the players we have in there now.

If the swans listened to the experts on these threads, especially after a loss, there would be 18 players dropped from the AFL team and 10 delisting from the squad. People need to take a breath and settle down. You are not going to get any superstars by delisting the young players in the vfl team. I would say most only watch the games on tv and would have no idea what the players are told and what their roles are. Not everyone is going to have 20+ disposals. You need a mix of A graders, good players and role players to make a champion team. It is not like there is a plethora of players who are not in the system that would do a better job then the players we have in there now.
The Swans VFL side exists to prepare players for AFL football.

Today we were towelled up by a side that hasn’t won a game in years & not long ago was beaten 191-10 (by Werribee).

At this stage, the VFL side isn’t competitive - suggesting we have very few players ready to step up if needed.

And that is a problem.

Last edited:
I would say that both the AFL and vfl sides would be the youngest sides running out for the last two weeks.

The Swans VFL side exists to prepare players for AFL football.

Today we were towelled up by a side that hasn’t won a game in years & not long ago was beaten 191-10 (by Werribee).

At this stage, the VFL side isn’t competitive - suggesting we have very few players ready to step up if needed.

And that is a problem.
AFL players unavailable: P McCartin, T McCartin, D Rampe, L Franklin, J Amerty, S Reid
VFL players unavailable: S Wicks, L Melican
You can also now add M Roberts to the list of unavailable players.
With at least 7 listed players unavailable for selection it is going to have a massive effect on both the AFL and VFL teams.
If these players were available or at least half of them it would be a different story.

AFL players unavailable: P McCartin, T McCartin, D Rampe, L Franklin, J Amerty, S Reid
VFL players unavailable: S Wicks, L Melican
With at least 7 listed players unavailable for selection it is going to have a massive effect on both the AFL and VFL teams.
If these players were available or at least half of them it would be a different story.
You don't know that ! who is amerty , have you lost a key

Remove this Banner Ad

Back