VFL 2023 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Once the sub comes out of the side, there will be more top-up players in the side than AFL Listed players.

For context during the last 6 weeks of the VFL season last year when we made the finals, we had 4 or 5 top-ups playing. There isn't the experience in the VFL side that there was last year or even the availability of the same amount of AFL Listed players.
All true.

I was (clumsily) trying to make the point that the VFL side has plenty of AFL listed players now getting some continuity and we should be seeing improvement.

If we don’t see improvement, I think there’s cause to be concerned, particularly in regards some of the more recent draftees.

All true.

I was (clumsily) trying to make the point that the VFL side has plenty of AFL listed players now getting some continuity and we should be seeing improvement.

If we don’t see improvement, I think there’s cause to be concerned, particularly in regards some of the more recent draftees.

I understand that but for example, if Sheldrick is named the Sub tomorrow, that leaves Corey Warner and Caleb Mitchell as the only AFL listed midfielders to try and carry the side. When there is no midfield or Tall targets up forward visible improvement might not show through and will need to be viewed on a deeper level.

We do have a new tall this week.
Former basketballer Monty Velthuis from Sydney Uni.
23yo 206cm 108kg.

I believe he is on our VFL development list to cover for the circumstances we are currently in.
No great expectations but a big body.

His full first name is Montague.
Bit of a shame it's been shortened.

"Free kick to you Montague"
"Thank you umpire, very civil of you"

Interested to see how Owen goes against the crayfish today. It will be his first game as our number 1 ruck and it's against a quality opponent.

To be honest I am as interested in this game as the Seniors match.

Like bedford I am barracking for a Borough win but will be watching each of our players with great interest. Our mids minus Shipley, Stevo and Gus will be up against it. Hoping Wicksy builds on his promising return. Plenty of good players to watch in the Borough side inc The Cray.

Agree the match up between Owen and Sam will be interesting. I like Owen. He and Edwards have both shown a bit.

I understand that but for example, if Sheldrick is named the Sub tomorrow, that leaves Corey Warner and Caleb Mitchell as the only AFL listed midfielders to try and carry the side. When there is no midfield or Tall targets up forward visible improvement might not show through and will need to be viewed on a deeper level.
Your points are all well made & valid.

But I still feel a VFL side with a dozen or so AFL listed players, who mostly now have a few solid games under their belt, should be showing improvement - or at least certain individuals really showing progress.

Draftees only get a short period of time to prove themselves - we have quite a few that, on face value, aren’t exactly doing that just yet.

I am desperately looking for the deeper level you referred to - just not quite sure what it is!

Your points are all well made & valid.

But I still feel a VFL side with a dozen or so AFL listed players, who mostly now have a few solid games under their belt, should be showing improvement - or at least certain individuals really showing progress.

Draftees only get a short period of time to prove themselves - we have quite a few that, on face value, aren’t exactly doing that just yet.

I am desperately looking for the deeper level you referred to - just not quite sure what it is!
I really have issues with the coach

Nick Shipley ruled out for up to six weeks with a hamstring injury.

Toby Alker (shoulder) and Jake Veale (finger) ruled out for the season.

Also noticed that Haley is scheduled to play for Balwyn today

Nick Shipley ruled out for up to six weeks with a hamstring injury.

Toby Alker (shoulder) and Jake Veale (finger) ruled out for the season.

Also noticed that Haley is scheduled to play for Balwyn today
I wonder if we are almost at the point of not bring able to field 22 in the VFL and will have to forfeit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldnt have thought we had a VFL side currently with the amount of injuries - how many AFL listed players out there?

Watching this quarter, our defensive coaches have got our structures terribly wrong. This is a carbon copy of thevAFL side. Opposition go from defensive fifty to forward fifty so easily.

For some reason I am always surprised by how bad the vfl umpiring is.

Melican gets hit high then tackled around the neck and the umpire has the gall to tell Melican he imagined the high contact.

For some reason I am always surprised by how bad the vfl umpiring is.

Melican gets hit high then tackled around the neck and the umpire has the gall to tell Melican he imagined the high contact.
Wicks thrown to ground, next contest arms held so he can’t reach for the ball.

Then they find a free for them directly in front as I type.

Wicks thrown to ground, next contest arms held so he can’t reach for the ball.

Then they find a free for them directly in front as I type.
It can’t be coincidence can it…..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back