List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

Given there seems to be a clear top eight "open" prospects, I'd be surprised if two of our later teens picks is the best Geelong could do by draft night.

Im thinking we will be dipping into the our F2 for this deal.

Maybe a swap of F2's + 17, 18

Then 2 + 15 will be on the table until the point WC pick.

I think Brady wants 3 picks in the top 10 + 15 or Red + 2 x top 10 picks.

Exactly and that's why it isn't good enough. If we have an injury, especially to LDU or Jy, then we don't have the depth and/or experience to cover them yet.
I'm not against giving guys like Phillips and Powell another run at it if their vfl form warrants or injuries force us to. I think they are much better back up than what we have as talls. Larkey is our legit tall, the rest are either injured, injury prone or vfl standard. This is what we should concentrate on fixing, fortunately we have a hand stacked with picks and a draft stacked with talls to do it.

Honestly if Eagles didn’t take him and we could would be a perfect fit for us.
If Walter was on the open market we'd have been resting more players in the last round IMO...

Soldo isn't a hack, and we need a decent ruckman.
Sweet and Fullarton aren't established but they've been in the system so they're not starting from zero. Given the high picks they went for, I would have liked to see us have a throw at the stumps.
No - just no. You don’t have a throw at the stumps with 5 picks inside the top 18. The other problem you have is - NOT ONE of them wanted to come to North. Hold those picks.

My guess on any activity now is:

2 + 17 + (maybe) F2 or F3 <> 1

15+18 <> 8

Leaves us with 1, 3, 8 + the later picks.

These are predictions not preferences. I can see the allure of Reid but would love to just go to the draft with our current hand.

Those 3 teens picks would be fascinating, the range where you get slightly more speculative players like JVR, English or Goater slipping into.

I'd be horrified if we sacrificed three first rounders to get hold of #8 after all the good work that went into getting the current 5 first rounders.

Yes it was very astute trading by Brady dealing our 2024 pick 20 for this years… what, pick 18 which in reality is 22/23 after F/S academy players.

Yes it was very astute trading by Brady dealing our 2024 pick 20 for this years… what, pick 18 which in reality is 22/23 after F/S academy players.

Don't agree mate.

Someone ( might've been travelli ) used a term like 'draft wash' to describe what we needed to do with our 'priority' picks. I agree with that premise and thought we smartly cashed them out pronto.

IMO our trading in recent years has ranged from poor (Brown, CJ) to pretty good (the final JHFF recovery deal).

So far our 2023 trading has been excellent. Converted all the assistance picks into 'clean' collateral, worked our way up the board and communicated to the market in a fashion that encouraged Band 1 compensation for a RFA. (the decision to not sign McKay is a separate football decision)

Plus landed our trade targets without giving up much and signed up list needs players more or less for free.

Anyone who expected us to work our way through the Stephens and Fisher deals and come out with ANOTHER 1st round pick is a flat out liar. That was really clever.

My guess on any activity now is:

2 + 17 + (maybe) F2 or F3 <> 1

15+18 <> 8

Leaves us with 1, 3, 8 + the later picks.

These are predictions not preferences. I can see the allure of Reid but would love to just go to the draft with our current hand.

Those 3 teens picks would be fascinating, the range where you get slightly more speculative players like JVR, English or Goater slipping into.

Ha. Nice try. If you think 2+17 will be enough to entice us, you’re obviously delusional. You forget that we have all the bargaining power here. We said no to Hawthorns 4 and a future first. Most likely anywhere from 2-7. Why would we take that deal?

s**t. Sorry. I don’t know what happened. I just read a good suggestion and instantly responded as Mop. Weird.

Ha. Nice try. If you think 2+17 will be enough to entice us, you’re obviously delusional. You forget that we have all the bargaining power here. We said no to Hawthorns 4 and a future first. Most likely anywhere from 2-7. Why would we take that deal?

s**t. Sorry. I don’t know what happened. I just read a good suggestion and instantly responded as Mop. Weird.
You forgot the "Tooooooo N Freeeeeeeee"

Where do you think the 2024 pick #20 is ging to end up after Academy and F-S picks, as well as potential compo picks? Try around the mid 20s at best. If you're going to mount one half of an argument a certain way you need to also do it for the other half. Pick 18 is a genuine first round pick that comes before Band 2 compo picks, but anything that comes after it is not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im thinking we will be dipping into the our F2 for this deal.

Maybe a swap of F2's + 17, 18

Then 2 + 15 will be on the table until the point WC pick.

I think Brady wants 3 picks in the top 10 + 15 or Red + 2 x top 10 picks.
this is exactly what we should do.

Haha. I'm sure we can come up with a deal like 2,3,4,5,6,7 and a BJ for Rohan O'Brien that might entice them then.

Given the focus we've seen on run and carry, and our rumoured interest in McKercher and Duursma, I wouldn't be shocked if Darcy Wilson was our target if we traded up to Geelong's pick.

That's been my hope, but I feel the recruitment of Stephens and Fisher mean we're more likely to go key position than another outside runner.

Also why I love the idea of Freijah with one of those late teens picks, but I'm not sure we'll look his way.

The top 8 is what the media want you to believe

It’s deeper more even than that across the first round

I said they will probably get better offers. Tbh unless they get offered massive overs (which 15+18 isnt) then they may even just wait until their pick is live to see who is there. It would only take Sanders or Curtin sliding for someone to offer big.

I said they will probably get better offers. Tbh unless they get offered massive overs (which 15+18 isnt) then they may even just wait until their pick is live to see who is there. It would only take Sanders or Curtin sliding for someone to offer big.
I’d be surprised if anyone offered more than 15 and 18

Most clubs don’t have multiple first rounders to bundle up

Crows would be one option but I can’t see them being desperate to move up 2 spots from 10

I’d be surprised if anyone offered more than 15 and 18

Most clubs don’t have multiple first rounders to bundle up

Crows would be one option but I can’t see them being desperate to move up 2 spots from 10

If the Crows like who is there at 8 then they could easily offer 10 and either 14 or 20, maybe getting 25 back. That already trumps us.

Sydney or St Kilda could also offer a f1 with their pick and back themselves to improve next year.

Geelong would be stupid to trade it now just to get an extra pick. Someone will get desperate at some point if theiy hold their nerve.

If the Crows like who is there at 8 then they could easily offer 10 and either 14 or 20, maybe getting 25 back. That already trumps us.

Sydney or St Kilda could also offer a f1 with their pick and back themselves to improve next year.

Geelong would be stupid to trade it now just to get an extra pick. Someone will get desperate at some point if theiy hold their nerve.
Yep crows could beat us but my point is I highly doubt they bother just to move up 2 places

I’m not concerned about them

I also don’t see another club offering their first and future first but if they do those then fine we just add on our future second to 15 and 18 with a future third coming back to trump it but again I doubt they do

Would Gold Coast part with picking Jed Walter if a godfather offer was tabled?
And if so what would we have to give?

Would Pick#2 and #3 plus our F1st get it done?

I am not sure this can happen.

are you asking if we can trade picks for GC to not match a bid? surely that would be tampering.

unless you are talking that we trade for him once he is on GC's list in which case it would need to be next year. Then we'd be paying through the nose for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back