Team Mgmt. 2024 Best 22 (or 23)

Remove this Banner Ad

From our list, if we’re about to play a final next year, I want Shiel at his best in the 22. I also want the potential of our most gifted youngsters to be somewhat fulfilled by then. From these initial thoughts my team would be;

McGrath McKay Ridley
Cox Reid Redman
Durham Parish Martin
Perkins Jones Stringer
Gresh Wright Langford
Draper Tsatas Merrett
Shiel Hobbs Caldwell Goldstein
Setterfield (Hind would be the better strategic choice but I rate Setterfield higher)

Duursma sounds nice on paper but I’m not sold on him yet. Has he plateaued? Has he lost confidence? Has he done enough in his short career to demand immediate best 22 talk? I’ll wait until I’ve seen him show what he’s got to offer in red and black first.

Heppell, for a final, might be too hard to ignore if he’s in good form but his career trajectory suggests that if our gifted youngsters start realising their potential it will be best for our club if he is forced out by the natural progression of the team.

From our list, if we’re about to play a final next year, I want Shiel at his best in the 22. I also want the potential of our most gifted youngsters to be somewhat fulfilled by then. From these initial thoughts my team would be;

McGrath McKay Ridley
Cox Reid Redman
Durham Parish Martin
Perkins Jones Stringer
Gresh Wright Langford
Draper Tsatas Merrett
Shiel Hobbs Caldwell Goldstein
Setterfield (Hind would be the better strategic choice but I rate Setterfield higher)

Duursma sounds nice on paper but I’m not sold on him yet. Has he plateaued? Has he lost confidence? Has he done enough in his short career to demand immediate best 22 talk? I’ll wait until I’ve seen him show what he’s got to offer in red and black first.

Heppell, for a final, might be too hard to ignore if he’s in good form but his career trajectory suggests that if our gifted youngsters start realising their potential it will be best for our club if he is forced out by the natural progression of the team.
That forward line just doesn’t work in modern footy

I think one of the most exciting things headed into next season is how competitive it will be to get a best 22/23 spot.

Locks are

Def: McKay, McGrath, Ridley, Redman
Wings: Martin, Durham, Dursma*
Mids: Merrett, Parish,
Front half talls: Draper, Wright,
Forwards: Langford, Gresham, Perkins

That leaves 9 spots left
2 defenders 3 mids 1 tall and 3 medium/small forwards

Its pretty exciting to see how much competition there is for spots

1x Tall Def: Laverde, Baldwin, Cox, Reid, Hayes,

1x Tall forward Bryan, Goldy, Jones, Caddy

3x Mids: setterfield, Stringer, Sheil, Caldwell, Hobbs, Tsatas

1x SF Menzie, Guelfi, Davey

3 flex spots

That forward line just doesn’t work in modern footy
If you mean, in terms of more defensive pressure, I get it. But, unless you’re making Guelfi a guaranteed best 22 then I’m preferring to hope that our most talented forwards can bring greater defensive discipline until we find a more worthy forward danger than Guelf.

If you mean, in terms of more defensive pressure, I get it. But, unless you’re making Guelfi a guaranteed best 22 then I’m preferring to hope that our most talented forwards can bring greater defensive discipline until we find a more worthy forward danger than Guelf.
Too slow. One of the biggest reasons sides run the footy the length of the field against us is we have generally been too slow in the front half. There will be a squeeze on but we simply have to be playing two small forwards minimum if we are actually going to change in my view.

More speed both ways, You’ve got to be playing a minimum of 2 small forwards on the field, who can run the ground. Having a set up of Jones, Wright, stringer and langford, plus Perkins as a mid sized player is way too slow. Gresham is not an aerobic beast and doesn’t cover the ground that well either, we would get destroyed if we use that forward mix next season.

More speed both ways, You’ve got to be playing a minimum of 2 small forwards on the field, who can run the ground. Having a set up of Jones, Wright, stringer and langford, plus Perkins as a mid sized player is way too slow. Gresham is not an aerobic beast and doesn’t cover the ground that well either, we would get destroyed if we use that forward mix next season.
We haven’t got that type of player who commands a spot in our team as yet. Menzie is not really that type of player. A Davey might be trialled off half back. Wanganeen is behind the 8-ball. Shiel would need to re-invent himself. Do you play Caldwell forward? I can’t see the players you’re looking for. Menzie seems to be in a lot of teams but I’m struggling to see how him, Gresham and Perkins are going to provide anything much in that department. We just don’t have the players on our list ready to play that role adequately.

The only way might be to use Hind in that role.

McGrath McKay Ridley
Durham Reid Redman
Martin Setterfield Duursma
merrett Stringer perkins
gresham wright langford
Goldstein parish caldwell
Laverde Hobbs Menzie jones tsatsas

i reckon Draper will be injured or in recovery and Bryan will have an interrupted preseason
i think wright or jones can play second ruck
merrett to play Jack viney high half forward
setterfield gives us a point of difference in the midfield
reid playing round one is taking a punt and I love the idea of two big defensive talls who free up ridley

By the end of this year I hope this is our best 22 barring injury and assuming 5 player interchange, no sub.

FB: McGrath McKay Ridley

CHB: Redman Reid Cox

C: Durham Merrett Martin

CHF: Langford Jones Gresham

FF: Menzie Wright Davey Jr

R: Draper Parish Setterfield

Int: Hobbs, Tsatas, Perkins, Duursma, Bryan

We haven’t got that type of player who commands a spot in our team as yet. Menzie is not really that type of player. A Davey might be trialled off half back. Wanganeen is behind the 8-ball. Shiel would need to re-invent himself. Do you play Caldwell forward? I can’t see the players you’re looking for. Menzie seems to be in a lot of teams but I’m struggling to see how him, Gresham and Perkins are going to provide anything much in that department. We just don’t have the players on our list ready to play that role adequately.

The only way might be to use Hind in that role.
Menzie is almost a lock in the starting 22 goal sense and can run all day, that’s exactly what we need. Him and Gresham will both be in our front half at a minimum. Then it’ll be we whether Davey has gone to another level and we want to play him aswell, I can see Guelfi being played as the sub for a lot of
2024 and come on and give us 30 minutes of fresh legs to run and chase.
, along with hind.

Leaving out Stringer, Shiel & Draper at this point but - all are no doubt best 22 and come in when fit...
Right now I have us lining up as follows;-

Laverde McKay Redman
Heppell Ridley McGrath
Martin Parish Durham
Perkins Langford Caldwell
Caddy 2MP Gresham

Goldstein Setterfield Merrett

Bench: Hobbs Menzie Hind Bryan
SUB: Guelfi

Cox, Jones, Tsatas & Baldwin next on list

Last edited:
Menzie is almost a lock in the starting 22 goal sense and can run all day, that’s exactly what we need. Him and Gresham will both be in our front half at a minimum. Then it’ll be we whether Davey has gone to another level and we want to play him aswell, I can see Guelfi being played as the sub for a lot of
2024 and come on and give us 30 minutes of fresh legs to run and chase.
, along with hind.
We all have our views on where players are at I guess but Menzie is a long way off being a lock. In fact, I’d be inclined to give Davey a long run ahead of him (with Gresh and Perk/resting mid) if he shows some pre-season form seeing as he is more dynamic and is important to our future. Not saying that Menzie hasn’t got attributes that can work for us but if it’s a choice between the two I know who I’m in for. If Menzie can’t run down players to regain possession and isn’t scoring 1.5-2 goals per game as well then he isn’t a lock. Hopefully he can do that consistently and prove me wrong.

Seems Davey is being moulded into a running defender going by training reports anyway which might sure up Menzie’s position forward.

We all have our views on where players are at I guess but Menzie is a long way off being a lock. In fact, I’d be inclined to give Davey a long run ahead of him (with Gresh and Perk/resting mid) if he shows some pre-season form seeing as he is more dynamic and is important to our future. Not saying that Menzie hasn’t got attributes that can work for us but if it’s a choice between the two I know who I’m in for. If Menzie can’t run down players to regain possession and isn’t scoring 1.5-2 goals per game as well then he isn’t a lock. Hopefully he can do that consistently and prove me wrong.

Seems Davey is being moulded into a running defender going by training reports anyway which might sure up Menzie’s position forward.
would be unwise to not pick our second leading goalkicker (23) in my opinion. he might be a little limited defensively but he has a hunger & goal sense we desperately need

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would be unwise to not pick our second leading goalkicker (23) in my opinion. he might be a little limited defensively but he has a hunger & goal sense we desperately need
Fit and playing full seasons you would have Stringer, Wright, Langford and Gresham all out-scoring him. You’d have hopes that Jones can kick more than a goal a game and same with Perkins. 23 goals in a season is not the amount you want from your second best goalkicker. If we’re picking him in the hope he is that player then we’re in all sorts of trouble because 4 or 5 of those 6 I’ve just mentioned would need to have average seasons.

It might sound like I’m bagging Menzie. I’m not at all. He just isn’t a lock, and he isn’t the type of player we are missing that makes other teams forward lines so good. I hope I’m wrong.

It’s good that there’s going to be a bit of competition for spots now we’ve got a bit of depth. I think Guelfi probably gets the sub vest a lot of the time, or maybe Hind.
I reckon there's a good chance Shiel and/or Heppell have a couple of goes in the vest as well.

Feel a bit sorry for Guelfi. When he's on he can be a team lifter - courageous and willing to put in the extra efforts to block, smother, chase, tackle etc. Reminds me of Ambrose in that respect. He had a decent crack as a bit of an everywhere man but the squeeze is on now. I'll be happy if he gets his 100th game.

I reckon there's a good chance Shiel and/or Heppell have a couple of goes in the vest as well.

Feel a bit sorry for Guelfi. When he's on he can be a team lifter - courageous and willing to put in the extra efforts to block, smother, chase, tackle etc. Reminds me of Ambrose in that respect. He had a decent crack as a bit of an everywhere man but the squeeze is on now. I'll be happy if he gets his 100th game.
I find it extremely hard to believe he won't barring injury.

Back 7: Ridley, Mckay, Lav, N.Cox, Hind, Redman, Mcgrath

Mid 8: Draper, Parish, Zerrett, Shiel, N.Martin, Durham, Hobbs, Setterfield

Fwd 7: 2MP, H.Jones, Stringer, Langford, Menzie, Caldwell, Gresham

Emg: Heppell, Perkins

Would be close to what I am thinking. If we no injuries players will need to be in form.

Fit and playing full seasons you would have Stringer, Wright, Langford and Gresham all out-scoring him. You’d have hopes that Jones can kick more than a goal a game and same with Perkins. 23 goals in a season is not the amount you want from your second best goalkicker. If we’re picking him in the hope he is that player then we’re in all sorts of trouble because 4 or 5 of those 6 I’ve just mentioned would need to have average seasons.

It might sound like I’m bagging Menzie. I’m not at all. He just isn’t a lock, and he isn’t the type of player we are missing that makes other teams forward lines so good. I hope I’m wrong.

I’d say you’re wrong on that last point. We aren’t missing him because he’s on the team. If he wasn’t on the team we’d be saying we need that type of player.

Feels like there’s two types of players team have. Floor raisers and ceiling raisers . Menzie is a floor raiser. Menzie isn’t a dynamic player who makes everyone else’s job easier.

However every top team has a Menzie like player as their 3rd SF because someone who will get you a goal a game just through being busy improves every team they are in

Last edited:

Out: Shiel, Hind, Cox
In: Duursma, Kelly, Heppell

I reckon Heppell has got one more solid year in him and gets selected ahead of Cox. If we're selecting best 22, then Cox might need a little more time to develop.

I'm also backing Kelly to return to form as our #1 lock-down general defender. I think 2024 could see Hind fall right off the radar and behind Roberts and Lual in the pecking order.

For me its looking something like this:

McGrath McKay Laverde
Duursma Ridley Redman
Durham Parish Martin
Perkins Jones Stringer
Gresham Wright Langford
Draper Hobbs Merrett
Shiel Tsatas Caldwell Caddy

l'd like to play only 1 ruck but Wright can be uncompetitive in there and Jones and Caddy don't have the size. It may be our only option has having a team with Draper, Goldstein and Wright is too top heavy. GoldStein to come in when the likes of Jones, Wright and Stringer are missing.

One glaring hole is the small forward with serious pace. Gresham is the AFL version of Menzie and we need another one with pace that can play.

I've got Caddy in there as he seems to have a bit of ** about him and I'd like to get him games. If he has that little bit of factor about him he may actually be a legitimate best 22 and not just something I'm wishing for.

Heppell - even though he was quite good last year, this is the year he gets replaced. I think(hope) Duursma can be that guy.
Kelly and Hind - only if we hit the wall with injuries should these guys get a look in.
Reid and Cox - no idea where these guys bodies are at or where they're at. Toil away at VFL until you start knocking on the door for a game.

Setterfield - I have about 5 others in front of him and then Tsatas for me gets games. VFL and backup.

Bryan - surely can take another leap next year and look to stake a place in the best 22.
Guelfi - might be the guy that comes in for Perkins if he doesn't start to fire.
Menzie - not sure if he has the tricks at AFL level but not discounting him and he could surprise.
Davey - long way to go, needs a strong VFL year, not sure of his best position.
Weidemann - break glass in case of emergency.

Hopefully someone from left field puts their hand up and says "I'm best 22"

B McGrath McKay Kelly
HB Redman Laverde Ridley
C Durham Setterfield Martin
HF Gresham Jones Langford
F Stringer Wright Menzie
R Draper Parish Merrett
INT Goldstein Hobbs Duursma Caldwell
SUB Guelfi

B Hind Hayes Heppell
HB Roberts Weideman Cox
C Lual Tsatas Perkins
HF Wanganeen Caddy ADavey
F JDavey Hunter Reid
R Bryan Hately Shiel
INT Visentini Baldwin O'Neil

The list is evening out to the point that form, health and attitude should be critical to get a game in the AFL. I cant see a lot of obvious deadwood at this stage either, healthy competition just to keep a senior list spot

The list is definitely evening out and will be tough competition for senior spots. Our senior team might climb up a position or two on the ladder, but I think our reserves team will definitely improve significantly - possible reserves team could look like;-

Kelly Reid Hayes
Cox Baldwin Laul
Duursma Shiel ADavey
Caddy Weideman Wanga
Bryan Hunter JDavey

Goldstein Tsatas Hately

Bench: Roberts Visneti O'Neil etc....

Seniors;-

Ridley McKay Redman
Heppell Lav McGrath
Martin Parish Durham
Perkins Jones Gresham