Team Mgmt. 2024 Best 22 (or 23)

Remove this Banner Ad

B - A McGrath B McKay J Ridley
HB- M Redman Z Reid N Cox
C - N Martin D Parish Z Duursma
HF - B Hobbs H Jones A Perkins
F - K Langford P Wright J Gresham
R - S Draper Z Merrett J Caldwell
INT - J Stringer, E Tsatas, T Goldstein, D Shiel (sub S Durham)

Reserves-
B - J Laverde L Hayes Luamon Lual
HB - Arch Roberts K Baldwin J Kelly
C - N Hind W Settlefield T Wangan
HF - N Caddy S Weideman J Menzie
FF - A Davey J Hunter J Davey
R - N Bryan D Heppell M Guelfi
Int - Vigo Visentini, Emerson Jeka, Xavier O’Neill & Jackson Hately

Reid named to play unless injured🤞🏻, otherwise Laverde comes in.
Was unsure on a backs rotation for the bench, possibly Heppell in some where.
My team would have...
I think Baldwin has played better than Reid.
Hind in for Cox.
Durham in over Duursma. (mainly due to being jacked)
Bryan in over Goldstein.
Setterfield has to start, I'll take out Stringer.

At least there is some competition when everyone is fit.

Firsts :

B: McGrath McKay Laverde
HB: Ridley Reid Redman
C: Duursma Parish Martin
HF: Gresham Jones Hobbs
F: Stringer 2MP Langford
Foll: Draper Merrett Setterfield
B: Perkins Shiel Caldwell Durham
Sub : Hind

*Durham 7th Def.

Seconds:

B: Kelly Baldwin Roberts
HB: Cox Hayes Lual
C: A. Davey Tsatas Heppell
HF: Menzie Weideman J.Davey
F: Goldy Caddy Guelfi
Foll: Bryan Hatley (vfl) ..........
B: Wanganeen Visentini Hunter ...........

McGrath Mckay Lav
Red Baldwin Ridley
Duz Merrett Martin
Stringer 2MP Menzie
Davey Langford Perkins
Draper Parish Setterfield

Duursma, Caldwell, Hobbs, Cox (Shiel)

Next in line - Reid, Gresh, Caddy, Jones, Goldy, Bryan, Hep, Kelly, J. Davey, Wanga,

That was hard.

Edit - forgot Tsatas and Guelfi

Ridley McKay Redman
Heppell Lav McGrath
Martin Merrett Duursma
Perkins 2MP Gresham
Stringer Langford Menzie

Draper Hobbs Parish

Caldwell Shiel Durham Goldstein
Hind

B- Cox McKay McGrath
HB- Redman Reid Ridley
C- Martin Parish Duursma
HF- Gresham Jones Perkins
F- Menzie Wright Langford
FOLL- Draper Caldwell Merrett
I/C- Hobbs, Stringer, Tsatsas, Goldstein
Sub- Durham

VFL
B- Kelly Baldwin Laverde
HB- Roberts Hayes Lual
C- Heppell Durham Hind
HF- A.Davey Hunter Wanganeen
F- J.Davey Weideman Caddy
FOLL- Bryan Guelfi Shiel
I/C- Visentini

With all the silly season done (mostly)
How i think the coaches pick rd1 assuming most are fit that are expected to be;
Ridley - mckay - mcgrath
Redman - laverde - heppell
Duursma - setterfield - martin
Gresham - langford- caldwell
Stringer - Wright- menzie
Goldstein- parish - merrett
Tsatas - durham - bryan - shiel

Hobbs, perkins, cox could all get look ins as sub
I'd like to see Reid grab 2nd kpd this year.
Not too bothered with the mid squeeze

Building some depth

Last edited:
I thought I heard that the AFL have dumped the sub and are going with a straight 23 players.
Has anyone else heard that?
Not sure if it is official yet but yes there has been talk of it 🙂

Pretty much impossible to this right now - too many unknowns. A few early thoughts…

- Play all of Setterfield, Hobbs and Caldwell each week. I like that physicality in our midfield.

- Consider using Merrett off half-back. We can use his decision making and ball use there.

- I think Alwyn Davey will surprise people. He’s got some real quality. I think he plays lots of footy in 2024.

- People are sleeping on Hayes. He’s 200cm but with a genuine AFL rig (big shoulders, lean muscle) and decent speed. Physically, he’s our best tall defensive prospect - projects better than any of Cox, Reid or Baldwin for me.

Pretty much impossible to this right now - too many unknowns. A few early thoughts…

- Play all of Setterfield, Hobbs and Caldwell each week. I like that physicality in our midfield.

- Consider using Merrett off half-back. We can use his decision making and ball use there.

- I think Alwyn Davey will surprise people. He’s got some real quality. I think he plays lots of footy in 2024.

- People are sleeping on Hayes. He’s 200cm but with a genuine AFL rig (big shoulders, lean muscle) and decent speed. Physically, he’s our best tall defensive prospect - projects better than any of Cox, Reid or Baldwin for me.
Have not had a look at training yet but I think Hayes will still have a lot of development to go and while I suspect he may well play some games I do not see him featuring a lot unless his VFL for improves by 100% on this year. He started last year at 84kg. Will be interested to see where he is at now. Personally I think his trajectory will be similar to BZT as far as development goes and it will be more year three and four that you see the AFL level improvement.

Have not had a look at training yet but I think Hayes will still have a lot of development to go and while I suspect he may well play some games I do not see him featuring a lot unless his VFL for improves by 100% on this year. He started last year at 84kg. Will be interested to see where he is at now. Personally I think his trajectory will be similar to BZT as far as development goes and it will be more year three and four that you see the AFL level improvement.
If you look at photos from last few weeks - I reckon he’d be closer to 95kg now. He’s a very different shape to Reid and Cox - big, wide shoulders and a classic V torso. Strong through the legs. Really strong, athletic physique. His height and reach are significantly better than BZT’s. Good speed too at his size - I remember him shutting down a scorching hot Bailey Humphrey at 2022 U18 Nationals.

I need to see more of him but he has the physical attributes to, at least, play a stopping role on quality big forwards.

If you look at photos from last few weeks - I reckon he’d be closer to 95kg now. He’s a very different shape to Reid and Cox - big, wide shoulders and a classic V torso. Strong through the legs. Really strong, athletic physique. His height and reach are significantly better than BZT’s. Good speed too at his size - I remember him shutting down a scorching hot Bailey Humphrey at 2022 U18 Nationals.

I need to see more of him but he has the physical attributes to, at least, play a stopping role on quality big forwards.
I did say similar trajectory to BZT and not he is like BZT. Personally I do not go on photos. I like to see with my own eyes. Plus there is the simple fact he has to find a couple of levels on what he did in the VFL . If being big was the go then Brand would have made it. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did say similar trajectory to BZT and not he is like BZT. Personally I do not go on photos. I like to see with my own eyes. Plus there is the simple fact he has to find a couple of levels on what he did in the VFL . If being big was the go then Brand would have made it. :)
Disagree - think he is a bigger, better athlete than BZT so will have an accelerated trajectory comparatively. Having the physical traits to do the job is half the battle….BZT gave away a lot of size, Hayes won’t (and is quicker).

Let’s see what happens- I’m not saying he’ll play every game in 2024, just that I think people overlook his potential at times. I think he’s a good prospect as a shut down key defender. Sounds like I’m a little more bullish on him than you are - all good.

I wouldn’t say he’s 95kg yet, I’d say high 80s maybe 90 max. He’s still got a long way to go in his body’s development

i think i generally agree with a lot of the various best 22s posted, a few things that i would be interested in us trying out.

1) using Ridley as a running half back flanker - obviously this mightn't be his preferred position, but i recall a couple of times last season before he went down that his delivery up the ground was absolutely elite, and i think this could work in a pinch, though i still personally believe that his best work is done in the full back line as an interceptor.

2) play duz in the back 6/forward 6 - i generally think he gets the job done fairly well on the wing, but i think his marking ability (and attack on the ball) is the best part of his skill set. there's been a couple of times where he's taken important marks for us and i wonder if he'd be able to play up either end of the ground as another option for us in the long term, especially if we opt to play Duursma on the wing (and make the right decision to keep nic martin on the other wing) because i think he'll be a good long term prospect for us.

3) give nick bryan more time in the f50 - this might be a bit of a dream but once he gets his goal kicking action down he'll become a very handy forward for us. i think he's got some underrated hands (amongst big men) and can take a good contested grab (from memory, though this might be incorrect) and i'd be interested if he'd be able to convert more shots on goal if he had more opportunities down there.

i'm excited and interested to see where we go next season.

Those action shots when tensing through exercise can be misleading
Wish Reid or Cox would mislead me like this….

Rule of thumb a lot of clubs use is that your weight should be circa height in cm minus 100. I.e at 200cm you should be aiming for 100kg….so at 95 kg he’s still got some size to put on. But I’ll say it again, he’s a big boy.

IMG_0467.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpeg
    IMG_0467.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 38
Don't know much about the draftees, going to assume they aren't plug and play yet

Ridley McKay Baldwin
Redman Reid Merrett
Martin Parish Durham
Gresham Langford Perkins
Menzie Wright Jones
Draper Hobbs Setterfield

Shiel McGrath Tsatas Goldstein
Sub: Stringer

Emerg: Caldwell Duursma Bryan Cox

Regulars not picked
Heppell Laverde Kelly Hind

Don't know much about the draftees, going to assume they aren't plug and play yet

Ridley McKay Baldwin
Redman Reid Merrett
Martin Parish Durham
Gresham Langford Perkins
Menzie Wright Jones
Draper Hobbs Setterfield

Shiel McGrath Tsatas Goldstein
Sub: Stringer

Emerg: Caldwell Duursma Bryan Cox

Regulars not picked
Heppell Laverde Kelly Hind

I'd like us to get either Reid and/or Baldwin into a key defensive post by the years end - but they have only played 8 senior games each in the last 3 years...
For me (baring pre-season iniury) Laverde is a lock round 1, and Heppell very likely

We're going to go from having no 200cm+ defenders to having Mckay, Reid, Hayes, Cox. One of them has to get traded or make it as a forward. Not to mention Baldwin and Ridley.
Time will tell but it'll be interesting to see what our backline looks like in a few years. Should be of a very high quality.

Not to mention our midfielders, rucks and forwards. Dodo has left us with a good list.

Wish Reid or Cox would mislead me like this….

Rule of thumb a lot of clubs use is that your weight should be circa height in cm minus 100. I.e at 200cm you should be aiming for 100kg….so at 95 kg he’s still got some size to put on. But I’ll say it again, he’s a big boy.

View attachment 1861240
There is the issue of actual form. He was okay in the VFL this year but not AFL level most weeks. I agree he is much better developed than Reid or Cox but I do not think Reid will be a genuine KPD and Cox will play more flank / intercept than KP. He has to have a strong start in the VFL . He was a level down from Baldwin last year and Baldwin was not at week in and week out AFL level. For mine he has to actually start taking the match ups Baldwin took this year and prove he can play on the bigger VFL forwards . This year he often go the second or third forward. Looks good in the pictures and I do not disagree that he looks like he will fill out well but pictures do not play football. If he is in the side by the end of the season it will be great for sure. :cool:

We're going to go from having no 200cm+ defenders to having Mckay, Reid, Hayes, Cox. One of them has to get traded or make it as a forward. Not to mention Baldwin and Ridley.
Time will tell but it'll be interesting to see what our backline looks like in a few years. Should be of a very high quality.

Not to mention our midfielders, rucks and forwards. Dodo has left us with a good list.
Cox can easily make it as a half back flank. He is mobile, good at ground level and intercepts well. He does not have to be KP.
Nothing wrong with having four of them. Reid has to actually get on the field and then actually find some form. He was bloody horrible this year when he played. Injury did not help that but the form was very plain indeed. Brand played better the year before and he got delisted. Reid has to actually play plenty of VFL and show some form to match the potential.

B- A.McGrath B.McKay J.Ridley
HB- S.Durham Z.Reid M.Redman
C- N.Martin D.Parish X.Duursma
HF- A.Perkins H.Jones J.Gresham
F- J.Menzie P.Wright K.Langford
FOLL- S.Draper B.Hobbs Z.Merrett
I/C- J.Caldwell, E.Tsatsas, J.Stringer, T.Goldstein, W.Setterfield

Emerg-Shiel, Baldwin, Hind, Cox, Guelfi

Remove this Banner Ad

Back