AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

My first response was “here we go….avoiding the hard calls again.”

But on reflection….the easy call is probably to stand Heppell down and insert Merrett or McGrath. Many would view both of them as potential skippers and as strong leaders and there would be little controversy if we went down that path.

But while I’m no fan of Heppell as skipper, I’m even less convinced those two are captaincy material. Looks like the club agrees - rolling Heppell out again is an indictment of our next level of leadership and sends a clear message.

I imagine Merrett likely thought the captaincy was just a formality - I will. be glad if that’s not the case.

Is Hep an on field leader? Cos I don’t see it, what’s the point of playing a guy who’s not good enough to get a game of football merit and brings SFA leadership game day. We can’t keep hiding him on the field, he’s not in at the center bounce, he’s not general organizing defense he’s hiding on a wing or flank we’re they are trying for him to have the least negative impact on the side, that’s not a leader

Is Hep an on field leader? Cos I don’t see it, what’s the point of playing a guy who’s not good enough to get a game of football merit and brings SFA leadership game day. We can’t keep hiding him on the field, he’s not in at the center bounce, he’s not general organizing defense he’s hiding on a wing or flank we’re they are trying for him to have the least negative impact on the side, that’s not a leader
Plenty of leaders who have had success aswell might i add have been on a flank

But yes Heppell does provide leadership onfield

So him being fitter than he has been for 5 years and totally injury free does not compute ? I am telling you the word from inside the club is he is in the best condition he has been for 5 years. Where that ends up is a question but he is fitter than he was last year.

It doesn't not compute, I just don't think fitness is going to make a huge difference to the enormous flaws in his game. He absolutely butchered the footy last year with his rainbow kicks and was painfully slow. Fitness/conditioning isn't going to fix that. I'd be willing to be his play on the field this year is no better than last year.

It doesn't not compute, I just don't think fitness is going to make a huge difference to the enormous flaws in his game. He absolutely butchered the footy last year with his rainbow kicks and was painfully slow. Fitness/conditioning isn't going to fix that. I'd be willing to be his play on the field this year is no better than last year.
We will see how it goes. I have made a prediction . It may not come off but there is some confidence from inside the club that he will be okay. I may be off the mark and I was one that said he was gone last year but I have also seen players regain some decent form when they are not playing injury free.

We will see how it goes. I have made a prediction . It may not come off but there is some confidence from inside the club that he will be okay. I may be off the mark and I was one that said he was gone last year but I have also seen players regain some decent form when they are not playing injury free.

Here's hoping. It's easy to forget how good he was not too long ago, I just hope it's all managed the right way this year.

I guess another angle to this is Scott wanting a year with the team as a whole to work out who he would prefer as captain moving forward. A summer of training is a good start, but his own personal leanings might change after season proper.

Brad Scott has twice raised the prospect of co-captains, once with the Dorothy Dixer interview from Timmy and again in the press conference in Bendigo when it wasn’t specifically prompted, he corrected himself to say captain or captains.

I think my money is on Merrett as captain, and Heppell as co-captain if he wants it, some sort of vice/LG position if he chooses to step down. McGrath as vice, and some combination of Redman, Langford, Laverde, Hobbs, perhaps Shiel or Parish as leadership group, depending on how big the group is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he's fitter, but still one-paced, I don't think he'll be all that much more useful than he was last year.

He works hard, covers a lot of ground, offers a marking target, and with pressure on the ball carrier is a very good reader of the ball in flight to intercept mark. But his speed off the mark meant he couldn't cover a man defensively.

My first response was “here we go….avoiding the hard calls again.”

But on reflection….the easy call is probably to stand Heppell down and insert Merrett or McGrath. Many would view both of them as potential skippers and as strong leaders and there would be little controversy if we went down that path.

But while I’m no fan of Heppell as skipper, I’m even less convinced those two are captaincy material. Looks like the club agrees - rolling Heppell out again is an indictment of our next level of leadership and sends a clear message.

I imagine Merrett likely thought the captaincy was just a formality - I will. be glad if that’s not the case.

I constantly keep reverting back to the decision to drop Merrett from the leadership group a few years ago. Does anyone recall the reasoning for that, or what the word surrounding that was? Was that an indictment on Merrett, or just appallingly bad decision making?

Because I constantly think about this when Merrett's name gets raised to be skipper. Anyone remember the general reasoning behind this?

I constantly keep reverting back to the decision to drop Merrett from the leadership group a few years ago. Does anyone recall the reasoning for that, or what the word surrounding that was? Was that an indictment on Merrett, or just appallingly bad decision making?

Because I constantly think about this when Merrett's name gets raised to be skipper. Anyone remember the general reasoning behind this?

Think it was a bit of both. I believe the decision was made by his peers to do with his ability to deliver feedback, but probably also appalling decision making if it wasn't addressed by his peers/coaching staff during that year.

I can't imagine he would be the only person to be dropped from a leadership group to then comeback as the captain down the track. It's just an easy talking point for the media.

He didn't get the votes.

Or, to be more specific, the voting system isn't a straight popularity vote for who you want to be captain. Every player rates all of their teammates on 4-5 criteria which align to the "Essendon values", and the values the year he got dropped were changed from the previous year to emphasise something that Hurley did better than Merrett, which meant that Hurley came into the leadership group and Merrett was dropped.

The Essendon values changed to 4Cs (care, commit, compete, celebrate) when Rutten officially took over running the whole program in 2021, but before that they had something else that was never made explicit under Worsfold, so we don't know exactly what Merrett wasn't doing that got him dropped.

The general assumption is that he's more introverted than Heppell, and less... easy for his teammates to talk to, confide in, harder to ask for support?

Think it was a bit of both. I believe the decision was made by his peers to do with his ability to deliver feedback, but probably also appalling decision making if it wasn't addressed by his peers/coaching staff during that year.

I can't imagine he would be the only person to be dropped from a leadership group to then comeback as the captain down the track. It's just an easy talking point for the media.
Interesting. Maybe he's learnt to laugh off the team's numerous * ups by now though?

Screenshot_20220629-141805.png
'We had fun. That's the only win you can truly have"

330969033_884257646162132_1837707554104120267_n.jpg

Steps down as Captain after 6 years
Officially stood down as captain - please let this be the end of the easy pot-shots. He has genuinely tried his guts out despite the clusterf#ckeroos the last 10 years.

Hasn't been a perfect captain/player by any means, but seems like he put his heart into it when we didn't have any other options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back