AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott not wanting to do anything to radical at the club straight away so the token senior list clogger position at the dons to be there in place of games for young talent, why change something that’s been the cornerstone of our success for the last decade?
hahaha but also

We spend all off season worrying about how we have so few leaders at the club, and then the couple we do have we don't want to actually play on the day.

🤔

Kids learn more when they have someone who knows the thing who can advise them when they're in the wrong spot, or how to deal with particular strategies from their opponent. Otherwise they just run around like headless chickens and lose all their confidence.

He always bounces back bigger and stronger, he'll be fine.
It’s hard not to be a bit pessimistic- struggled last year, looked really ordinary against GC….now the injury. It doesn’t bode well.

Whilst not a fan of his captaincy, love him as a bloke and rated him highly as a player. Hope he gets back and can find a meaningful role to play.

You have to feel for him.

I think this might make Scott’s job a little easier though - he’d have probably played him round 1, but now he’ll have an excuse to bring him back via the VFL.

Ayrton Wooley has given us another contender for longest article ever posted on the Essendon website;

Some interesting quotes as relates to Dyson Heppell:

Quote 1

Of course, it’s easier during the summer when there’s so much optimism ahead of a new season, under a new regime.

But with a practice match against Gold Coast looming, there’s still an edge about the work being done behind-the-scenes. By 8am, Dyson Heppell and Peter Wright are already seated at the players’ desks in the football department.

The coaches’ offices – including Scott’s – surround a lounge area and rows of computers that look more like your standard work office than the heart of a football club.

Heppell jokes he’s looking at Youtube highlights of himself. In truth, it’s vision that’s been ‘coded’ - clipped up - from the club’s match simulation at training a few days earlier.

The more-senior players have this personal time after being granted what fitness boss Sean Murphy describes as a “sleep in”. Their first official commitment is a 9.30am team meeting.

Quote 2

The remainder of the group is huddled around Murphy’s training notes, plastered on the wall of the indoor facility, which include certain markers every player is required to hit during the session.

Heppell, for instance, has already recorded enough high intensity efforts to cover an entire week of training – a number much higher than most of his team-mates.

It’s a product of his terrific work-rate and older body. Without the leg speed of his younger team-mates, the former skipper often needs to push that little bit harder.

“Dyson is an amazing athlete in terms of the ground he covers in drills,” Murphy says.

But he also has a focus on acceleration built into his program.

“It means, at times we need to manage him from a load perspective and take him out of some drills.”

Quote 3

Another team meeting awaits, this time around the logistics of the journey to the Gold Coast. With a big group upwards of 35 players heading North, some will need to share rooms.

Seniority has certain perks, so Heppell is pretty confident of avoiding any sort of room sharing.

Who would he most like to avoid?

“’Rids’ or Redman,” he quips. “Bloody annoying.”

“I’m happy to throw ‘Redders’ under the bus as well,” Wright concurs.

“He’ll always want to be doing things with you, and I prefer doing my own thing.”

On the rush hour;

Would be nice if they put the podcasts on the podcast apps... hasn't been updated since last June

• Not the skipper anymore, apparently has some suppressed energy from being in that role so long
  • Got engaged, stuff about weddings
  • Practice match, don't think it's representative of where they're at. Enjoyed the pre-season
  • About Brad Scott, JB having norf opinions, reckons Scott has a game plan that stacks up in September. They haven't had too much of a spray yet but both agree Scott has the personality that keeps the players on edge all the time
  • Ryder back, stoked and had him at his own property (building site) helping out a bit the other day
  • Playing on the wing this year, Billy giving him some stick about being slow and should play half-back, Hepp reckons he's found a yard, doesn't like being called old 🤣 'just hitting his peak'

No comment about the sprained foot...

Test to be available for round 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know right? Some of these miserable pricks are unbelievable.
yeah, we win over hawthorn and doubled their score, but I know what will get me likes… hanging s**t on an easy target!

Sadly my prediction looks to be wide of the mark. Can only hope he needs a game or two to find something as he was pretty plain today. Glad he got a goal late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back