Autopsy 24 pt loss to the Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be fair to say Taberner, given he's battling well with the delivery, would probably get 30+ goals at another club. 17 goals to show for his hard work is pretty unfair. So yep agree with you, our forwards at other clubs would excel given the improved delivery they would get.

Completely agree, the Pressure he is under and what he has achieved is very commendable, it's a shame as he deserves a better run as a developing forward and put in impossible circumstances at times where breaking even or even just holding the ball up is considered a win.

The same useless players were useless, nothing new there.
My issue is starting to be with the coaches. I've seen no change/development at all this year. I have no idea what the plan is. Maybe I shouldn't but to think we were playing the most dynamic football I've ever seen for the first 10 rounds last year and now we serve up this.
That Sutcliffe/Mzungo fiasco sums us up. We're playing a high skill game with players who don't have skill.
Hoping the boys can put in a better effort next week, although Ross will talk it down saying he'll be dissaponted if the players lift for this game over any other.

Completely agree, the Pressure he is under and what he has achieved is very commendable, it's a shame as he deserves a better run as a developing forward and put in impossible circumstances at times where breaking even or even just holding the ball up is considered a win.
That's why it's pretty exciting that with Apeness and McCarthy coming in next season plus another pre-season, Taberner can only improve and have more chances. He has developed a fair bit anyway, given the injuries happening all around him.

I thought D Pearce was quite good in the forward line in the first half. Not sure why he was moved to the backline because he was useless there

D.pearce and mayne really AfL quality , but the problem is both will block youngster mature in their position if they keep playing. The likes of mitchell and hodge dont play every single game.

Would be fair to say Taberner, given he's battling well with the delivery, would probably get 30+ goals at another club. 17 goals to show for his hard work is pretty unfair. So yep agree with you, our forwards at other clubs would excel given the improved delivery they would get.
If Tabs v May was umpired the same as Dawson v Lynch it would have been a quite different game. Tabs has 7 frees for this season. It quite amazing how little he is infringed in marking contests.

If Tabs v May was umpired the same as Dawson v Lynch it would have been a quite different game. Tabs has 7 frees for this season. It quite amazing how little he is infringed in marking contests.

Its the same for every Freo forward though (and most players tbh). Totally different interpretation to the rules depending on the jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 free kick every 3 games is probably still better than Pav's ratio though. Yeah, it's total bullshit.

The umps really hammered us today I thought. What have we done to piss off the umpiring dept so much that we can't even get parity against a nothing team like GC?

And it extends all the way to the 4th ump - I swear that 'touched' score check would have been overruled for most other teams. How the * could anyone call that confirmed touched?

And it extends all the way to the 4th ump - I swear that 'touched' score check would have been overruled for most other teams. How the **** could anyone call that confirmed touched?
Like the one Dawson clearly touched against Port (Amon goal). They didn't even give that one a proper review.

The umps really hammered us today I thought. What have we done to piss off the umpiring dept so much that we can't even get parity against a nothing team like GC?

And it extends all the way to the 4th ump - I swear that 'touched' score check would have been overruled for most other teams. How the **** could anyone call that confirmed touched?

We're just an unpopular team unfortunately and always have been (and probably always will be IMO) and that extends to not only supporters and media but to AFL officials, MRP, tribunal and umpires.

Like the one Dawson clearly touched against Port (Amon goal). They didn't even give that one a proper review.

If its the one I'm thinking of its because the field ump didn't call touched at the time. Today's one did. I'm not sure why they didn't review it after our players told the field ump (Razor IIRC) though.

Walters, Neale, Hill in the first half was solid. Collins did well, Spurr tried, Dawson's wheels came off at half time.

Mzungu is cooked, Deboer should've been playing in his place, lacked leg speed to be an outside mid yet lacked the willingness to be a contested inside mid.

Suban, Sutcliffe, Pearce were terribly bad, especially with disposal. Its as if the mentality is that it's someone else's problem once i give them a chance of getting the ball. The damn high ball down the line, into the forward line is getting to the disgusting diabolical stage now. We have no Key position forward like a Peter Wright, Tom Lynch, Josh Kennedy so why continue to put it high? At least a chaos ball inside 50 gives a 50-50 contest to someone like Walters and Yarran who are generally a good chance of beating their opponent.

Mundy lacks the leg speed to be a one on one defender. Ibbotson should've gone to Day from the start and Mundy should've been the loose man to mop up with his disposal.

Youngsters did ok, Weller needs to take shots if he is inside 50m and on the run, Langdon was good in patches, Blakely wasn't as solid as the last few weeks but kept at it and took a nice inside 50 mark.

Yarran is a ready made player, give him another year with a full preseason and he'll be good depth at the very least. He is a silky player, I almost thought it was Bennell out there.

My Biggest Gripe is definitely the person who came up with our forward structures, it is easily the worst in the comp, We get picked off and intercepted so easily by backmen its unbelievable. May and Malceski had 24 possesions each, beating their direct opponent whilst rebounding play, last week Enright and Mackie had 26 and 30, against Melbourne Grimes and Tom McDonald had 32 and 30 possesions. Most of our mids look up and see our forwards flat footed so they kick a high ball in and hope for a mark. There is no leading into space, half our forwards aren't even in the forward line so when a mid actually breaks the line they have to hold up play. We seem to get opposition defenders into the votes with our forward structure and it kills us, especially on the turnovers as the Suns could slingshot the ball forward without our defence setting up in time giving Lynch and Day a simple one on one with space. Disgusting.
Forwards Coach Mark Stone

If its the one I'm thinking of its because the field ump didn't call touched at the time. Today's one did. I'm not sure why they didn't review it after our players told the field ump (Razor IIRC) though.
But they "review" every goal from the box. The fool in their should have called for a proper review.

Forwards Coach Mark Stone

Probaby could say I've jumped the gun as it squarely directed at him, as the stifled forward line could be a by product of poor transition, the pressure game we apply, or what not, but i gotta be honest Im not impressed, but judging by his CV, he has alot more experience as a stoppages coach. Maybe we need a former bonafide forward who can guide the forward line into a direction that yields a bit more than the good old long bomb from 80m out.

Doesn't need to. He will be in the Freo team running out with Pav for his 350th.
You're a great buddy and defend him mercilessly, but you can't honestly believe he deserves to be there next week. He probably will be because, pressure acts, but his only decent efforts this year have been once the game has been lost and the pressure valve has been released.

Yarran blew him out of the water on debut under-cooked, barely fit and off zero pre-season.

You're a great buddy and defend him mercilessly, but you can't honestly believe he deserves to be there next week. He probably will be because, pressure acts, but his only decent efforts this year have been once the game has been lost and the pressure valve has been released.

Yarran blew him out of the water on debut under-cooked, barely fit and off zero pre-season.
Unfortunately you're both right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back