Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

If most of those 17 handballs result in an effective kick from a team mate then that's pretty good right?
People are obsessed with metres gained these days. If a player gains 500 metres doesn't seem to matter if 300 went to an opponent. Meanwhile Diesel and Cunners types win the hard ball, pump out 20 handballs releasing teammates, with no turn overs but are apparently no good because of low MG.

Reckon he will play this week and hopefully it frees up LDU.

I think our midfield has got the right idea-ish and it works in patches, but Wardlaw is an explosive type being forced to defend, LDU doesn't have the required defensive characteristics, Powell can be a contested beast but is best used to distribute but Phillips is ultra-good in heavy congestion which I think is what we're missing.

Get him in.

People are obsessed with metres gained these days. If a player gains 500 metres doesn't seem to matter if 300 went to an opponent. Meanwhile Diesel and Cunners types win the hard ball, pump out 20 handballs releasing teammates, with no turn overs but are apparently no good because of low MG.
And if either of them played a VFL game in their fourth year I'd bet they'd poll a coaches vote. Spare me, take off the rose coloured glasses.

If most of those 17 handballs result in an effective kick from a team mate then that's pretty good right?

My point is those were VFL numbers where in theory it should be easier to shake off an opponent and get enough time for an effective kick. If his numbers are 4 and 17 at VFL level they may be slightly less in the AFL.

You’d want someone in his position to really dominate at VFL level

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And if either of them played a VFL game in their fourth year I'd bet they'd poll a coaches vote. Spare me, take off the rose coloured glasses.
Wtf has that got to do with the metres gained obsession? And what rose coloured glasses? I've barely said a word about Phillips. Just sick of metres gained rubbish.

Last edited:
I haven’t been a huge fan of WilPhil but at this stage & from what we’ve seen he clearly deserves a go . Let’s face it , he can’t be anywhere worse than Tucker , Stephens , Lazzaro , Sheils etc .

And place a pair of pitch black ones on, add a white cane and speak blindly with the same tired old vitriol that refuses to add the current facts to the situation. What did he do to you mate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t been a huge fan of WilPhil but at this stage & from what we’ve seen he clearly deserves a go . Let’s face it , he can’t be anywhere worse than Tucker , Stephens , Lazzaro , Sheils etc .

You seem to be forgetting Lazz’s fabled pre-season and that Stephens went pick 5 in a draft, causing extreme distress in COLA-land due to our god father 4 year offer for a guy stuck behind a dozen 1st and 2nd year players. That earnt both a free hit for the first half of the season….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point is those were VFL numbers where in theory it should be easier to shake off an opponent and get enough time for an effective kick. If his numbers are 4 and 17 at VFL level they may be slightly less in the AFL.

You’d want someone in his position to really dominate at VFL level

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You need to appreciate one thing. Our VFL team is playing to the exact same game plan as our AFL team. Players are playing in roles that they are being primed to play in the AFL. So, for instance, if Eddie Ford plays AFL this year, unlike in the past, he is not playing as the key forward just because there are no better forwards in the team, as that would not be his role at AFL level. And in the case of Will Phillips, I've only seen limited vision, but he appears to be playing a defensive inside midfield sweeper role in the VFL, so it makes no sense for him to be shaking off opponent and chasing kicks as that is presumably not going to be his role when he is elevated to the AFL team. I could be wrong about that and it's possible that the coaches are telling him he needs to rack up 40 possessions with a lot of them being kicks. But the prima facie evidence says otherwise.

You seem to be forgetting Lazz’s fabled pre-season and that Stephens went pick 5 in a draft, causing extreme distress in COLA-land due to our god father 4 year offer for a guy stuck behind a dozen 1st and 2nd year players. That earnt both a free hit for the first half of the season….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why the need to exaggerate? Neither of these players have a free hit that is keeping Will out.

Lazz did have a good pre-season but the form didn't carry so he was dropped and then back as sub.

Stephens is a true winger but too soft. He got dragged for that a couple of games ago, but I assume they are persisting because a true winger will be valuable when the game plan comes together better.

I'm a WilPhil fan but we've heard from someone who knows him that he is struggling a bit. Having said that, I'd be shocked if he's not in the team this week.

Why the need to exaggerate? Neither of these players have a free hit that is keeping Will out.

Lazz did have a good pre-season but the form didn't carry so he was dropped and then back as sub.

Stephens is a true winger but too soft. He got dragged for that a couple of games ago, but I assume they are persisting because a true winger will be valuable when the game plan comes together better.

I'm a WilPhil fan but we've heard from someone who knows him that he is struggling a bit. Having said that, I'd be shocked if he's not in the team this week.

Struggling in what way?

Who makes way for Will?

None of this "bailey scott for Will" rubbish please. One is a skinny running wing (being forced to play def) while the other is an inside bull.

Realistic options?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back