Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Pinching this bit from Chadwiko.

It looks like WilPhil has been focusing on the defensive side of his game in the 2's, which is ideal because that's where we are severely lacking at the moment.

I know everyone wants him to get 30+ touches in the vfl, but he's obviously adjusting his game on the direction of clarko. 13 tackles against one of the best midfields in the VFL is extremely encouraging.

I think he comes in this week, would love to see our midfield mix with a bit more attack/defence balance, and he could be the answer.
Can they please set the same expectation/standard with the 20 or so “best 22” players who have shown zero desire to be defensively accountable?

It seems actually ludicrous if Will is being kept out due to his defensive side. I could imagine a player in his situation becoming slightly resentful watching the defensive capitulation of our 1s week on week.

4 kicks 17 handballs at VFL level is not banging the door down.
I don’t mind if he plays but I also expect someone who fancies himself as an elite AFL midfielder (or aspires to be) to dominate VFL games at this stage of his career. Glandular fever can’t be used as an excuse at this point

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Those numbers would translate perfectly to our game in the AFL.

It seems that ball ups are an important component to our “game plan” over the first 5 weeks. We had a quarter of free flowing run and gun football, but that quickly turned to slowing the ball down and winning the ball through ruck contests around the ground.

Those 12 tackles and 17 handballs represent a perfect fit for this. Imagine Will getting in there, protecting space, dishing the ball to mobile playmakers or bringing down the opposition should they themselves win it…

Those numbers would translate perfectly to our game in the AFL.

It seems that ball ups are an important component to our “game plan” over the first 5 weeks. We had a quarter of free flowing run and gun football, but that quickly turned to slowing the ball down and winning the ball through ruck contests around the ground.

Those 12 tackles and 17 handballs represent a perfect fit for this. Imagine Will getting in there, protecting space, dishing the ball to mobile playmakers or bringing down the opposition should they themselves win it…
If u remember Ben10 would have these numbers also on quite a few occasions.
Obviously I’m not comparing WilPhil to him in any way but as long as you are extracting from stoppages in any form either be by hand or foot . It does not matter.
I haven’t been a fan of WilPhil but what the hec,what have we got to lose at this stage . Let’s see what he’s actually got .
Bring him in

I love Will and want him into the side badly.

I'm not setting any expectations for him to help turn our defensive fortunes around though. We are weak in the clinches because I think we fall down in stoppage structure rather than defensive intent. He could help with that, because he has a brain, but not when he's down on confidence fighting for his place in the side.

Where the defensive intent is severely lacking is on transition and out of the stoppage (e.g.a midfielder being outworked by their opponent offensively and defensively), which I'm not sure he'll help with.

But if it's a reason to get him into the side then I say I'm onboard.

If u remember Ben10 would have these numbers also on quite a few occasions.
Obviously I’m not comparing WilPhil to him in any way but as long as you are extracting from stoppages in any form either be by hand or foot . It does not matter.
I haven’t been a fan of WilPhil but what the hec,what have we got to lose at this stage . Let’s see what he’s actually got .
Bring him in

When Ben went back to the vfl his numbers were ridiculous, something like 35+ and kicked goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah nah, he needs to back that up week in, week out. Until he manages 50+ for at least 6 weeks in a row, etc.
Im gunna need wiphi to come round and restump my house before he gets a look in the 1's.

Getting 40 touches isn't going to get him a look in anyway, such a simplistic way to look at performance.

We actually need some blokes to structure up defensively, apply immediate pressure, win clean first possession.

Has he actually been doing that? NFI but who cares about possession count as far as barriers to getting into the team.

Surely its about clearance structures. We have no pure inside mid and xerti taps it close or grabs it so ldu is spending a lot of time in very close at stoppage which limits him outside. He looks confused at times.
We need an inside distributor - cunnington was the prototype - wardlaw does it but thats not powell or simpkin or lazzaro. Its a waste of what ldu brings. Wardlaw is better used to hunting around the contest - loose balls, pressure and creating turnovers. Agree could be damaging up forward at times - pretty good overhead, manic pressure. Powell is pretty much outside too.
So phillips is the only player we have well suited to that role - it will benefit the others to change that mix.

I don’t mind if he plays but I also expect someone who fancies himself as an elite AFL midfielder (or aspires to be) to dominate VFL games at this stage of his career. Glandular fever can’t be used as an excuse at this point

If most of those 17 handballs result in an effective kick from a team mate then that's pretty good right?

We lost the clearance 38-31 and centre clearances 16-10 against the Cats, but the quality of our clearance was disgusting in comparison. Under pressure hack kicks and moving the ball backwards and sideways with pressure on. The Cats on the other hand seemed to have an easy handball to player in space moving forwards for the majority of their clearance work. I really struggle to understand how we allow oppo teams so much time and space when they have possession and we're lucky to have enough time to flick out a handpass to someone with a oppo playee already hanging off them.

If Will can make our clearance just that little bit cleaner and put a bit of defensive pressure on the opposition's clearances he's well worth putting into the team in the guts.

We don’t need him to have 125 kicks and 15 handballs a game. If he can get the clearance and handball to create space for LDU George and Powell then that’s his job done.

We don’t need him to have 125 kicks and 15 handballs a game. If he can get the clearance and handball to create space for LDU George and Powell then that’s his job done.
What we need is balanced mids. 4 and 17 in the second tier is not balanced. Can't spread and unable to play/rest anywhere else on the ground are the reasons why he's not playing.

I would bring Will in and have him placed under Xerri's feet.

X isnt the best tap ruckman, going around, but what he does do is bring the ball to ground.

This is where player like Will, with his quick hands can do some real damage, getting the ball out to LDU and George and even Sheez and Colby.

Is there a chance he will get in Tom's way?

Yes. but we are 0-5. What have we got to lose?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back