Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll be filthy if he is sub.

The midfield mix isn't working at the moment, and we are putting too much workload into Wardlaw. Rotate more heavily and get Simpkin and Phillips in there.

I actually think George could be rested this week.

I agree with you on Simpkin and Phillips. Has to happen.

I'm sorry but this entire handling is idiotic from a few angles.

1. He's clearly good enough to be playing AFL, see last year. I wont hear otherwise, statistically he was actually in our best 6 and as good as the current captain.

2. The season is already completely ****ed. Over. Finished. It's all about personal development in individual players and getting experience into them

3. If Clarko genuinely doesn't rate him, the absolute worst thing you can do is leave him in the reserves. Especially in a season like this where there is absolutely nothing to lose. If Clarko has stamped his papers he needs to be extracting maximum value for the good of the club. No club is paying anything of value for a midfielder that can't get a spot in a 2-3 win team. They might in a midfielder who averaged 20+ touches a game at AFL in that season though.

This just reeks of total mismanagement again.

Last edited:

1. He's clearly good enough to be playing AFL, see last year. I wont hear otherwise, statistically he was actually in our 6 and as good as the current captain.

2. The season is already completely ****ed. Over. Finished. It's all about personal development in individual players and getting experience into them

3. If Clarko genuinely doesn't rate him, the absolute worst thing you can do is leave him in the reserves. Especially in a season like this where there is absolutely nothing to lose. If Clarko has stamped his papers he needs to be extracting maximum value for the good of the club. No club is paying anything of value for a midfielder that can't get a spot in a 2-3 win team. They might in a midfielder who averaged 20+ touches a game at AFL in that season though.

Might be a bit alarmist. Is it possible he’s working on very specific things in the VFL? Obviously Clarko is not infallible but every one complained about Dawson last year and then he came in and hasn’t looked back. Ford you could say similar: long VFL apprenticeship, comes in and at the level immediately.

Now Philips is a different proposition but I doubt he’s been written off. I think they are giving him every chance to actually hold his spot when he comes in. He needs to be fitter and blowing up in the third quarter doesn’t help a team that’s already shithouse.

Also: the season is five rounds old. We need to develop team cohesion, not just individual players.

Having watched him closely in the vfl for the first month, he has definitely focused in on being the defensive sweeper mid in clearance situations. I get the mismanagement calls, but I do not fully agree with them.

Laz needed to be rewarded for better preseason form and we/Clarko needed a month to see if Laz can play the defensive mid role, regardless of form for developmental reasons. Laz’s form was better than Wills. Phillips really struggled offensively against Carlton’s vfl midfield and looked really low on confidence. Even last week, his confidence in his ability to spread offensively was down.

I think we seen enough from Laz now that he isn’t the development answer, so I am happy that Will has tackled his way into the team, even if he’s not 100% confident.

I think people forget how much Clarko actually loves him, as displayed on his first day back at the club when they ran into each other.

I suspect he’s playing the long game with Will.

1. He's clearly good enough to be playing AFL, see last year. I wont hear otherwise, statistically he was actually in our best 6 and as good as the current captain.

Oh, I see it is a fully-fledged turn against Clarko.

I look forward to a flood of posts from you saying basically the same thing. I'm sure everyone else does too.

He will be playing. Which is great news for the young fellow.

Have heard the same (that he's playing).

Although tbf the same person told me Phillips would be playing round 1 and then he didn't... so...

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

Saw the last five minutes of training (lol) and he and Laz were practicing handballing on their opposite after everyone else went in. Not for ages, but for a bit. Fwiw. Not much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he plays he should be getting 50% CBA minimum and I'd be switching him and Wardlaw from the bench into the midfield throughout the game, with the rest of their time as high half forwards coming up to the stoppage.

If he starts as a sub we're wasting everyone's time.

Last year, we probably played our best football with this set up. We weren't winning, but the confidence was growing. Its bewildering why this combination hasn't played together. Even in the praccy games, Will was in the yellow jumper. Very strange...

Hopefully we get to say to ourselves "what the hell were they thinking" this Sunday. Give them Hell Will!

Very much looking forward to seeing some much needed hard ball gets with accurate handballs to advantage around the stoppages.

Think Ben Cunnington.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back