Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Gonna be a few years yet but I cannot wait til this bloke explodes onto the scene.
A few years still? Wills a 6ft midfielder with a mature body not a 6ft6 key position prospect. 3rd year in the system is his time to start making us some hay. Im not expecting a dominant year, but do expect to see multiple games of 20+ possessions in 2023

A few years still? Wills a 6ft midfielder with a mature body not a 6ft6 key position prospect. 3rd year in the system is his time to start making us some hay. Im not expecting a dominant year, but do expect to see multiple games of 20+ possessions in 2023
Yep, a few years. Two injury and illness riddled years + covid in his final junior year. Not setting expectations too high for next year and the year after, but boy it'll be good after that.

LDU is a big bodied mid and only started to explode this season, 5 years post drafting.

Gonna be a few years yet but I cannot wait til this bloke explodes onto the scene.
I just love that we have so far had a glimpse at the composure, vision and kicking skills. His manic attack on the ball/man, 30 metre handballs to a running man and speed out of a contest have not yet been sighted really. Exciting times ahead if he can pull it all together in future.

And a functioning defence unreliant on playing Ziebell as a KPP, and I think we can win a few next year.
yeah, reckon don't under estimate the inclusion of Logue (and tucker) and it might not be a popular view in these parts but I'm interested to see what Dawson can do this season with a bit of time under his belt in a professional environment.

I just love that we have so far had a glimpse at the composure, vision and kicking skills. His manic attack on the ball/man, 30 metre handballs to a running man and speed out of a contest have not yet been sighted really. Exciting times ahead if he can pull it all together in future.

He showed a bit of that in his first game. Was incredible how he ran flat out and smashed into one of his first ever contests at the level.

Yeah, inside mids take time. Year 4 is fairly normal for that type. And like LDU, who showed signs in year 4 and really broke out in year 5, he’s basically lost a year to illness/injury. Wait for him to get past 50 games.

Yeah, inside mids take time. Year 4 is fairly normal for that type. And like LDU, who showed signs in year 4 and really broke out in year 5, he’s basically lost a year to illness/injury. Wait for him to get past 50 games.

And realistically he is restarting his 2nd year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst all this is true I reckon Phillips should be able to come on a touch earlier than LDU, he is more about using his spread and constant movement to complement his clean skills. LDU's game was (and is) built around power and explosiveness and was always going to take good time to be a threat at AFL level.

Whilst all this is true I reckon Phillips should be able to come on a touch earlier than LDU, he is more about using his spread and constant movement to complement his clean skills. LDU's game was (and is) built around power and explosiveness and was always going to take good time to be a threat at AFL level.
Tend to agree Will should be moving from contest-to-contest and accumulate

Mate of mine does PT with Will. He mused on the weekend that people have VERY short memories.

Said Will's character is top of the tree amongst AFL guys he's worked with and he's ahead physically where he expected to be a few months back... fully expects him to make fools of the naysayers this year.

NB - He's also worked with GW and said his ground level physicality is insane. Crazy hops too. Apparently he was a bigger kid in early juniors so some thought he'd come back to the pack as others grew past him but nup, he's just an absolute animal.

Last edited:
yeah, reckon don't under estimate the inclusion of Logue (and tucker) and it might not be a popular view in these parts but I'm interested to see what Dawson can do this season with a bit of time under his belt in a professional environment.
Nah not at all, he could be a real smokey.

Mate of mine does PT with Will. He mused on the weekend that people have VERY short memories.

Said Will's character is top of the tree amongst AFL guys he's worked with and he's ahead physically where he expected to be a few months back... fully expects him to make fools of the naysayers this year.

NB - He's also worked with GW and said his ground level physicality is insane. Crazy hops too. Apparently he was a bigger kid in early juniors so some thought he'd come back to the pack as others grew past him but nup, he's just an absolute animal.
Some friends of ours saw a lot of Will through junior footy and described him as a beast who just bullied his way through games. While he probably has more of a contested/distributor game than LDU-type power game, which ought to help him contribute now, the physical side will absolutely be part of his growth over the next couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back