Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

The kick to Larkey was obviously brilliant. But I liked the 5-6 seconds he held the ball before the kick. Most young players would feel under pressure to dispose of it quicker.

If you actually went back and compared I’d have WAP comfortably ahead of LDU, Thomas and Simpkins first years.
this, this a thousand times this.

Maybe you haven’t been watching things like the composure to hold the ball until the opportune moment, the PRECISION on his disposals (hand and foot) and the fact that he’s pretty much just walked into senior football this way? Compare that to LDU, TT and Simpkin who we’re all jizzing about now.

But I have him significantly ahead of them as first year players. Significantly.

As a half Kiwi, half South African North fan might say, that is some kak hectic nixt livil s**t.

this, this a thousand times this.

Maybe you haven’t been watching things like the composure to hold the ball until the opportune moment, the PRECISION on his disposals (hand and foot) and the fact that he’s pretty much just walked into senior football this way? Compare that to LDU, TT and Simpkin who we’re all jizzing about now.

But I have him significantly ahead of them as first year players. Significantly.

As a half Kiwi, half South African North fan might say, that is some kak hectic nixt livil sh*t.

Half of him wants to get drunk the other half doesnt want to pay for it .........

iu

The little General, Napoleon Phillips

Last edited:
There's a lot of Sam Mitchell in the way he twists and turns making space, and will pop a safe kick sideways or back to maintain possession.

There's a lot of Sam Mitchell in the way he twists and turns making space, and will pop a safe kick sideways or back to maintain possession.
His kicking reminds me of GAJ, never tries to kick the cover off it just bobs it up in the perfect place..
it’s that momentary thing of thinking he has kicked it to high, then watching hit the player perfectly where no player could seriously get across.

watching Powell and Phillips for the next few years is going to be like watching those guys throwing three pointers off buildings.

Last edited:
His kicking reminds me of GAJ, never tries to kick the cover off it just bobs it up in the perfect place..
it’s that momentary thing of thinking he has kicked it to high, then watching hit the player perfectly where no player could seriously get across.

watching Powell and Phillips for the next few years is going to be watching those guys throwing three pointers off buildings.

Who did he barrack for growing up do we know?

The way he twists and turns when in traffic is pure kid pretending to be Sam Mitchell in the back yard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell with a splash of the dominator.

There's even a few little similarities to Boomer. Doesn't have the same hunger on the outside, but again he's a lot more inside than Boomer at his age.

Gaz giving him a lot of love for his ability to kick i50 - "How baby roo Will Phillips is setting an example"

That kick to Anderson was absurd. His outside work has been a bit of a surprise considering it’s his inside game that had him so highly rated.
He's been playing on a flank so his ball use is being emphasised in that context. His bread and butter is inside though which will shine through when he gets time there.

He's been playing on a flank so his ball use is being emphasised in that context. His bread and butter is inside though which will shine through when he gets time there.

Couple of preseasons will see that. At the moment he’s a bit too slight, with a decent body check seeing him being taken off his feet. He’s already got big legs so it won’t take long. We’re building a ominous midfield. WAP, Powell, Simpkin, LDU, Thomas, Stephenson and can add Anderson who is is only 26.

Unless King is quoting statistics prepared by someone else or commenting on a player that a blind man can see is great ie Tarryn, his insight is limited in my opinion.
Completely agree. He hides his lack of insight by using lots of buzzwords and catch phrases. His analysjs is revered by lots of my mates that support other teams. Sh*ts me to tears.

FWIW Kane on The Sporting Capital with Rendell, proceeded to say he doesn't rate Phillips & that he's too small. Rendell said he's the same size as Rowell. Kane disagreed and said he's small.

Will Phillips - 181cm, 80kg
Matt Rowell - 180cm, 78kg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back