Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s the only campaigner on our list that has produced a kick like the one he did for Sleevo.
Not saying others aren’t capable but every single mid would have pumped it long inside 50.
Actually I reckon both TT and Jai hit up similar kicks last week… streaming out of the middle but pulling the kick to hit a short option just inside 50.
Pointing this out because there seems to have been a total change in mindset when we win a centre clearance - both in terms of what we do with it and how we set up our forwards.

It's kinda surprising too because reading the scouting reports last year, I didn't anticipate that his disposal and decision making would be this good. I mean, obviously I didn't think there would be faults with it, but I didn't realise it would be as elite as it is.

Another one that when he starts getting it ~25 times a game he's going to be so damaging.

It's kinda surprising too because reading the scouting reports last year, I didn't anticipate that his disposal and decision making would be this good. I mean, obviously I didn't think there would be faults with it, but I didn't realise it would be as elite as it is.

Another one that when he starts getting it ~25 times a game he's going to be so damaging.
I was a biiiiiig fan of him in his draft year and was delighted that we chose him over McDonald. His decision making and execution has always been really, really good, especially by hand. His kicking has never been the kind to catch the eye, you know, sharp, driven penerating kicks but he plays within his limitations and looks to have improved in its consistency over the year.

You can tell that he is still not 100% comfortable at the level, not 100% in tune with the pace but i have zero doubt that will come with fitness, strength and game time. He is a wonderful little footballer.

Hate to be a nark but Will did look at stages a bit slothful.

Kicks inside 50 like from few weeks ago were very good.
He's not there yet physically.

He will be one of those that when it clicks for him he will go from looking off the pace to running to show pretty quickly.

Hate to be a nark but Will did look at stages a bit slothful.

Kicks inside 50 like from few weeks ago were very good.
At the moment he is rather one paced.. but feck he is impressive for a first year kid who didn’t play any footy last year. You know he will get the best out of himself because he is very professional. Can’t wait to see him with a big pre season under his belt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Literally an in and under mid, with good skills, we got one here

He's not there yet physically.

He will be one of those that when it clicks for him he will go from looking off the pace to running to show pretty quickly.
From what we have heard about Phillips he won’t leave any stone unturned to make the improvements he needs to.

Building very nicely. The best thing is that he doesn’t need to step up and be our gun mid straight away, plenty of time for him to hone his craft.

People forget that players like Simpkin and TT weren’t spending anytime in the middle in their first year.

The fact that Noble has been giving these first years time in the middle will be invaluable in a few years time.

I can't wait for him and Tom Powell (the forgotten man) to turn up.

We have sooo many options now. The future is bright!
Powell has gone out of everyone’s minds except us supporters.

Before his injury Powell was looking the goods which is downright scary.

Our midfield rotation in 3-5 years time could be Simpkin, Thomas, Phillips, Powell, Horne. All while learning off Cunners for a few more years. That’s potentially 5 A Grade mids rotating through there.

History will tell us that someone drops off, but it’s a good base to build from.

Edit - As rightly pointed out by AnEmptyChair I missed LDU.

It’s obscene the talent we could have in the middle of the ground.

Last edited:
Powell has gone out of everyone’s minds except us supporters.

Before his injury Powell was looking the goods which is downright scary.

Our midfield rotation in 3-5 years time could be Simpkin, Thomas, Phillips, Powell, Horne. All while learning off Cunners for a few more years. That’s potentially 5 A Grade mids rotating through there.

History will tell us that someone drops off, but it’s a good base to build from.
Haha and you forgot LDU.

The thing is that all of them are top 12 picks, and three or four of them are top 5 picks. We've invested so much in our midfield already and I don't think many people have fully cottoned onto that yet.

Haha and you forgot LDU.

The thing is that all of them are top 12 picks, and three or four of them are top 5 picks. We've invested so much in our midfield already and I don't think many people have fully cottoned onto that yet.
s**t I did LOL

6 A Grade mids is a downright scary proposition for any team to come up against.

He had 12 disposals and was rated 2nd best on ground. Not only shows how much impact his disposals have, but how good he’ll be once he gets his fitness/strength/experience up to standard.

Last edited:
From what we have heard about Phillips he won’t leave any stone unturned to make the improvements he needs to.

Building very nicely. The best thing is that he doesn’t need to step up and be our gun mid straight away, plenty of time for him to hone his craft.

People forget that players like Simpkin and TT weren’t spending anytime in the middle in their first year.

The fact that Noble has been giving these first years time in the middle will be invaluable in a few years time.
TT did spent a fair bit of time there in his first year, relative to Jy. But not heaps of time cos he didn't have much of a tank.

He had 12 disposals and was rated 2nd best on ground. Not only shows how much impact his disposals have, but his good he’ll be once he gets his fitness/strength/experience up to standard.

Mate I’ve never seen you make a grammatical error.

RUOK?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back