Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Was quite disgraceful seeing how many of you were writing off Will in the match thread after one bad game. Hang your heads in shame! He’s a promising talent and needs to work on his fitness in the off-season.

Crikey, is there actually people writing him off? LOL…

Was quite disgraceful seeing how many of you were writing off Will in the match thread after one bad game. Hang your heads in shame! He’s a promising talent and needs to work on his fitness in the off-season.

That’s why I don’t event the GD thread - ppl are bad enough when there isn’t a game on

I am not writing him off but I do worry that he is too similar to the rest of the midfield mix and a lack of acceleration will limit his flexibility. Has good vision though and is a neat kick. Let’s see why a pre season brings.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I am not writing him off but I do worry that he is too similar to the rest of the midfield mix and a lack of acceleration will limit his flexibility. Has good vision though and is a neat kick. Let’s see why a pre season brings.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think he actually has decent acceleration and is nippy around the contest. I think his problem at the minute is a combination of being tentative about what to do when not directly involved in the contest and not quite being at the pace of the game yet. If you watch his junior stuff you see a guy who can read how a contest is unfolding from the outside who can skirt in, grab the footy cleanly and dish out to a team mate, then keep moving to get the handball receive and deliver further down the ground. It seems to me that Will is just not sure when to go at this level yet. He seems unable to have that part of his game click. That pickup that led to his goal yesterday is indicative of his ability to rove ground balls, super clean, quick and sums up the situation super quickly. I think I recall commenting on his draft vids last year that he is instinctive when he wins the ball in the contest, so much so that he chooses the right handball, with the correct hand, every single time when he wins the pill under pressure. Its nuts.

Found myself yelling at him early in the game for competing but no second chase. Just seemed to be half hearted, almost disinterested. Then I realised it was most of the team in the same mind set. I think he has skills and will be an excellent player for us. Let's see where his place ends up..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is very much down the order in terms of mid field rotations

- first - Cunners, TT, Jy
- second - Jed, LDU, Powell
- third - Horne, Phillips, Stevo

Given this position he will need to develop other parts to his game - such as that goal he got yesterday.

He has shown glimpses this year of good vision, tackling and disposal skills - but he has also shown that he has areas to work on such as his overall contribution outside of the centre square.

Borderline best 22 atm though plenty to work with - we will know alot more about Phillip's ceiling in a years time.

I think we will have to wait and see what his impact is in the off/preseason before people can make a call. If he can drive the training standard and become to leader of the first and second year players then I think that many will be happier with the decision.

One thing that I have noticed is that a lot of our higher-quality leaders are going to be finishing up at the end of next year and we really need leaders within each faction of the playing group to emerge. If Jy is to be a standalone captain next year/2023, then he, as shown previously, will capitulate from the pressures of trying to do too much if there aren't people around him that he can trust. I think WAP can be one of them.

Sometimes i get Greg Williams vibes, sometimes i get David Calthorpe vibes though. Looks one paced, but does find space. I need to see some high possesion games over the next 2 years before im all in. The fact that hes fully developed at 19 does concern me, that his ceiling may not be too much higher than it allready is

He didn't catch my eye as a concern yesterday. Handled it pretty cleanly while a few slightly more seasoned youngsters seemed to all pick the one same day to crap themselves.

Concur KC no concern for me as yet, Will has played a handful of games in two years.

Overall its still very much an evolving game plan and list, it will take a while yet but I reckon I've seen enough to be quietly confident going fwd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back