Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Career has to be at the crossroads now. I'm sure someone will give him a lifeline . Just not working for him at North. One of the worst performing teams ever and he cant get a consistent game from week to week.

Seems to be held to a different standard than some others in the team. Multiple players have had multiple games that would generously be described as garbage yet keep getting selected. If Will is only serviceable, he's back in the magoos.
7577969923, can you honestly see him in a midfield with McKercher, Jy and Wardlaw?

Seems to be held to a different standard than some others in the team. Multiple players have had multiple games that would generously be described as garbage yet keep getting selected. If Will is only serviceable, he's back in the magoos.

Probably speaks to how he's rated generally and the expectation of him long term.

He can only play as an inside mid, which is hurting him at this stage. If he was able to play forward as well, he’d be in the side. But as an inside mid, he isn’t banging the door down.

I think for this week we have Simpkin earmarked for extra minutes in the middle. LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Powell. You can see how Will gets pushed out.

He’s up against it

There is a concern about job security.
He is out of contract and well down the pecking order for spots in one of the worst teams of all time.
Confidence is low.

If he was promised a run of 4-6 games in the seniors to hone is craft, get comfortable with LDU, Wardlaw, Powell etc and build some synergy then that may be the catalyst that sees him nail down a spot.
He did deserve to be dropped after the Adelaide game however. There is still a lot of confusion on the gameplan and frustration as to why Tucker, McDonald, Corr etc are locks.

I reckon he turns himself into a tagger. Try something different.
What do we have to lose?
Oh Lordy.

This is going to test the relationship between player and coach me thinks.

Was surprised he got a recall last week after an uninspiring performance against Sandringham.
But the revolving door selection process continues.

I would not have wanted to have been in the room this week when he was told he was dropped again.

Oh Lordy.

This is going to test the relationship between player and coach me thinks.

Was surprised he got a recall last week after an uninspiring performance against Sandringham.
But the revolving door selection process continues.

I would not have wanted to have been in the room this week when he was told he was dropped again.
He’s cooked at North.

He’s cooked at North.
Kid was heart and soul a year ago but he’d be frustrated as hell right now.

By all means pick players on merit but justifying other senior blokes continued selection whereas he may have an average game and get dropped - confidence is truly shot.

If he’s not given a run of the games in the seniors then it’s over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kid was heart and soul a year ago but he’d be frustrated as hell right now.

By all means pick players on merit but justifying other senior blokes continued selection whereas he may have an average game and get dropped - confidence is truly shot.

If he’s not given a run of the games in the seniors then it’s over.
Some of the potatoes that take the field each week would leave him scratching his head.

Some of the potatoes that take the field each week would leave him scratching his head.
Clarko does mark him harder because he knows him personally away from the footy club.
And it means there’s extra pressure as well as living up to the pick 3 price tag.
Feels like he’s owes the club but nothing is working right now.

Not as fit as he should be. Little too muscly. Low on confidence and knows he’s not part of the alpha core and on the outer as a best 22.

Just a really toxic place to be with his footy right now and an exit for a fresh start seems likely from the outside looking in.

Kid has been completely mismanaged. Did a job on Rowell and played an important link up role in the middle. Another top pick out the door. Ridiculous.
No dispute on the top pick, unfortunately into his 4th year not a top player in a team that is stone motherless last. So will need to ply his trade at another club if he can get picked up.

Just spitballing here but maybe his tagging job on Rowell in the heat left him totally cooked and he hasn’t had his usual energy during the week. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case, given his history and all. Him being a slower type, plus being one of the more affected players post Darwin, and playing a slick * outfit on the hard and fast Marvel deck………I can see why he’d be omitted in THAT case.

Hypothetical I know.

Clarko does mark him harder because he knows him personally away from the footy club.
And it means there’s extra pressure as well as living up to the pick 3 price tag.

Not as fit as he should be. Little too muscly. Low on confidence and knows he’s not part of the alpha core and on the outer as a best 22.

Just a really toxic place to be with his footy right now and an exit for a fresh start seems likely from the outside looking in.

He doesn't owe the club anything. Has given it his best crack and is an unfortunate victim of our recruiting picking way too many in his position.

Grew up playing his footy at clubs that prize defensive efforts, can understand why he doesn't understand selection policy when we have so many midfield locks when straight up refuse to run the other way.

Just spitballing here but maybe his tagging job on Rowell in the heat left him totally cooked and he hasn’t had his usual energy during the week. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case, given his history and all. Him being a slower type, plus being one of the more affected players post Darwin, and playing a slick * outfit on the hard and fast Marvel deck………I can see why he’d be omitted in THAT case.

Hypothetical I know.
I actually think this might be close to the mark. We all know his conditioning isn't 100% so I wonder if he trained this week and i he hasn't recovered sufficiently to play on a fast track at Marvel.

He doesn't owe the club anything. Has given it his best crack and is an unfortunate victim of our recruiting picking way too many in his position.

Grew up playing his footy at clubs that prize defensive efforts, can understand why he doesn't understand selection policy when we have so many midfield locks when straight up refuse to run the other way.
Let's be real here, WilPhil hasn't been great with his defensive stuff outside of the stoppages as well.

Officially the new revolving door with Lazzaro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back