Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't get to pick 2 by being not good enough.

You can certain turn pick 2 into a dud by not developing him good enough.
Those same qualities that made you good in underage football don't always translate to being good at AFL level.

Dylan Stephens went pick 5. To Sydney. They certainly develop their players good enough. He just wasn't. It happens. You move on.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

We're not getting a second rounder for him though
No shlt!!!
Seriously, what would any other club offer us, to bring in a slow, undersized mid who can’t get a game in a winless team?????
On the other hand, If he was at another club, there’s no doubt Rawlings would offer up a 2nd round pick based purely on the fact he was a Top 10 pick.

No shlt!!!
Seriously, what would any other club offer us, to bring in a slow, undersized mid who can’t get a game in a winless team?????
On the other hand, If he was at another club, there’s no doubt Rawlings would offer up a 2nd round pick based purely on the fact he was a Top 10 pick.
Pick 69? :stern look

Dylan Stephens went pick 5. To Sydney. They certainly develop their players good enough. He just wasn't. It happens. You move on.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Errrr we gave him a 5 year contract to come over so he's probably good enough to do a job.

We haven't even developed phillips to anywhere near stephen's level.

Once again, development team have not done their job well enough.

Our team has been very unprofessional for the better part of last 2 decades.

We have been in the 1970s mindset of let just wait for a bunch of good players to come and then throw money for a few other players. This kind of shit kept on going even into the late 2010s.

Logan macdonald is a shithouse pick 4.. delist the campaigner
Swans fans don’t rate McDonald, and he has the luxury of hiding in that stacked Swans forward line. Loves a Joe De Goose. Kicked 2 points out of their 117 tonight. Lots of talk about he is going to be a star, and WA offering big $’s to come home. But I reckon McClean and Amartey are better players at this stage and offer value to the team.

Last edited:
I’m way past blaming any of these kids for not reaching expectations
I feel sorry for all of them
We’d turn Albert Einstein into a labourer
To be fair the 2020 draft so far hasn’t been kind to many of the earlier picks.

Phillips, McDonald and Grainger-Barrass all very slow burns.

Personally I’ve seen little improvement in DGB and I am wondering if he even makes it… Just like many of you are with Phillips.

2020 was a tough year on the kids due to Covid.

Maybe a change of environment for DGB & Will could the answer?

I will trade you DGB for Will.
😊

Last edited:
Need to stop the angst on this guy. He is one of 44 players on the list. He has shit to work on. Would love to see him find a second position.

Stop the overreactions to him being dropped. Our future won’t pend on his success. It’d would be nice if he did make it and hit a vein of form, he - just like the club - have been through a lot.

Look for positives. Hope he really makes something of himself during this stint in the VFL.

Errrr we gave him a 5 year contract to come over so he's probably good enough to do a job.

We haven't even developed phillips to anywhere near stephen's level.

Once again, development team have not done their job well enough.

Our team has been very unprofessional for the better part of last 2 decades.

We have been in the 1970s mindset of let just wait for a bunch of good players to come and then throw money for a few other players. This kind of s**t kept on going even into the late 2010s.

Absolute nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans fans don’t rate McDonald, and he has the luxury of hiding in that stacked Swans forward line. Loves a Joe De Goose. Kicked 2 points out of their 117 tonight. Lots of talk about he is going to be a star, and WA offering big $’s to come home. But I reckon McClean and Amartey are better players at this stage and offer value to the team.
As you say, the Swans have McLean, Amartey, and also Hayward offering them plenty of fire power up forward and each of them currently offers more than McDonald. The comparisons between Phillips and McDonald are inevitable, and certainly being unable to secure a place in the bottom team is a worse marker of career potential than holding a place in the top team. However, not being able to impact the score sheet when you have that midfield delivering to you is not a ringing endorsement either. But if the two players were to switch places, Phillips still wouldn't be getting a game in the Swans midfield, whereas McDonald would be playing for us and probably not kicking any goals, which we would blame on our poor midfield delivery. So they'd both be exactly where they are now.

To be fair the 2020 draft so far hasn’t been kind to many of the earlier picks.

Phillips, McDonald and Grainger-Barrass all very slow burns.

Personally I’ve seen little improvement in DGB and I am wondering if he even makes it… Just like many of you are with Phillips.

2020 was a tough year on the kids due to Covid.

Maybe a change of environment for DGB & Will could the answer?

I will trade you DGB for Will.
😊

Sometimes they don’t make it. Despite all the teeth gnashing, the bullshit arguments, and the excuses, thems just the facts.

Get real. That draft was a mess because the Vic kids all missed the year through Covid.

Will did well in his underage year as support behind Rowell and Anderson. Many assumed that he would step up the following year when he would have lead the midfield at Oakleigh. More likely he would have slipped down the rankings if he had played, as many have done in the past.

As you say, the Swans have McLean, Amartey, and also Hayward offering them plenty of fire power up forward and each of them currently offers more than McDonald. The comparisons between Phillips and McDonald are inevitable, and certainly being unable to secure a place in the bottom team is a worse marker of career potential than holding a place in the top team. However, not being able to impact the score sheet when you have that midfield delivering to you is not a ringing endorsement either. But if the two players were to switch places, Phillips still wouldn't be getting a game in the Swans midfield, whereas McDonald would be playing for us and probably not kicking any goals, which we would blame on our poor midfield delivery. So they'd both be exactly where they are now.

And he might have already requested trade by the end of 2023 back to WA.

And he might have already requested trade by the end of 2023 back to WA.
And if he goes Sydney will be handsomely rewarded, Phillips will be delisted after no interest. He may be rookied by someone. Logan and Sydney are way ahead of us and will.

He’s meh.

Too slow and not evasive enough.

Can’t kick over a jam tin.

Pick 3 was a huge waste.
That draft was bizarre - we took 4 guys 6 foot and under - Powell, Spicer, Phillips and Lazarro……. That’s just absolute negligence right there. We wanna scream out for AFL assistance? If I was the AFL, I’d tell us - this mess is your own doing.

I’m way past blaming any of these kids for not reaching expectations
I feel sorry for all of them
We’d turn Albert Einstein into a labourer
I was watching last yesterday the Saints play aka Yooralla I think that's what they called themsleves.
And Darcy Wilson apparently put on power speed and 9kgs in the offseason as he prepared for the rigours of AFL life.

If Phillips doesn't make it. It is on him no one else. It blows my tiny mind watching these young footballers of ours be non competitive. If Phillips could run all-day he'd be half a chance of being successful. L. Neil is the perfect example of an average footballer who uses his amazing fitness base to be successful. You don't get that fit training Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. It takes months/years of grind.
Dedication is the word I'm looking for. These guys must notice how fit their opponents are. Do they not think that maybe they too should get that fit .

It is the most basic of sports in many ways. So simple and more than likely if you're fitter than your opponent you'll run over the top of him.

I don't buy the north can't develop players line. I never have fwiw.

I was watching last yesterday the Saints play aka Yooralla I think that's what they called themsleves.
And Darcy Wilson apparently put on power speed and 9kgs in the offseason as he prepared for the rigours of AFL life.

If Phillips doesn't make it. It is on him no one else. It blows my tiny mind watching these young footballers of ours be non competitive. If Phillips could run all-day he'd be half a chance of being successful. L. Neil is the perfect example of an average footballer who uses his amazing fitness base to be successful. You don't get that fit training Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. It takes months/years of grind.
Dedication is the word I'm looking for. These guys must notice how fit their opponents are. Do they not think that maybe they too should get that fit .

It is the most basic of sports in many ways. So simple and more than likely if you're fitter than your opponent you'll run over the top of him.

Given me Mason Wood feels. Will go somewhere else and actually train more than 45 minutes twice a week and be a jet.

On this and Phillips I agree - that's his only real pathway at AFL level. He is very clean by hand and foot, good vision, smallish, mid paced. If he can motor around at 90% speed all day long for longer than his opponents those are attributes that can work at AFL level.

And if he goes Sydney will be handsomely rewarded, Phillips will be delisted after no interest. He may be rookied by someone. Logan and Sydney are way ahead of us and will.
As each week goes by, that reward becomes less handsome. I doubt that West Coast hands over a first round pick, so maybe a second rounder from them. He wouldn't get a game in Freo's forward line so it wouldn't be a highest bid auction. As for Will, someone will take him as a delisted free agent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back