2nd Test Australia v India, Dec 26 - 30 at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need for the insults when you get proven wrong champ.

You said the Aussies were "racist AF", but cannot back it up other than hearsay on a 11 year old article.
Ignore him.

This is the bloke who had a go at me for getting "personal" - my crime was to call his comments smart-arse & condescending.

As you can see, he doesn't seem to have a problem dishing it out himself. :)

Champ lol. Nice comeback from a typical moron. I gave you two examples and my words were "racist AF back then" which we were. If you can't keep up you'll need to post somewhere else.
You've provided nothing apart from a grainy YT video which shows nothing and a 11 year old unnamed article.

The Aussies were foul mouthed but not racist.

You can read lips as well:rolleyes:

I'm sure if he called him black, it wouldn't have ended there.

I actually like Merv but its pretty clear what he called him.

Gordon Greenidge was essentially English, he played for Hampshire as a kid before he'd even represented Barbados. I'd say his reaction to that sort of insult would be a lot less incendiary than someone who had spent their whole life in the Caribbean. Not that there's a rule for how you take racial epithets but from the gentlemanly school of English cricket he would be a lot more likely to subscribe to the 'what happens in the middle stays there' approach than some of his teammates who wore their hearts on their sleeves and took any perceived or real insult as a major insult.

Ignore him.

This is the bloke who had a go at me for getting "personal" - my crime was to call his comments smart-arse & condescending.

As you can see, he doesn't seem to have a problem dishing it out himself. :)
Good advice.

He's a puerile one that's for sure.

He makes these grand statements and if anyone bothers to challenge him, he's gets personal
because he can't back it up.

Gordon Greenidge was essentially English, he played for Hampshire as a kid before he'd even represented Barbados. I'd say his reaction to that sort of insult would be a lot less incendiary than someone who had spent their whole life in the Caribbean. Not that there's a rule for how you take racial epithets but from the gentlemanly school of English cricket he would be a lot more likely to subscribe to the 'what happens in the middle stays there' approach than some of his teammates who wore their hearts on their sleeves and took any perceived or real insult as a major insult.
We will have to agree to disagree.
I can't believe Greenidge would just cop that if he called him black.

My main point though, is that he kept banging on about how racist the Aussies were and he pulls a couple
of dodgy examples over a 30 year period.

Just more examples of old blokes losing their mind at their glory days being anything but glorious. I mean DK kicking miandad what a nasty act. But I'm sure it was just in good fun

Good advice.

He's a puerile one that's for sure.

He makes these grand statements and if anyone bothers to challenge him, he's gets personal
because he can't back it up.
Clearly I just gave you an example. One that you asked for. If you can't accept evidence than maybe there is something going on that you don't want to confront about us back then? Or is it just that having made your stance clear you won't be budged from it?

Just more examples of old blokes losing their mind at their glory days being anything but glorious. I mean DK kicking miandad what a nasty act. But I'm sure it was just in good fun
There's literally dozens of examples of poor sportsmanship in cricket over the years.

To your surprise you will find they all weren't done by Aussies.

Clearly I just gave you an example. One that you asked for. If you can't accept evidence than maybe there is something going on that you don't want to confront about us back then? Or is it just that having made your stance clear you won't be budged from it?
"Aussies were racist AF" and you gave 2 dodgy examples.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In your opinion.

Mate that's not opinion. He wasn't calling him a 'fan of the block? Arsewipe.'

I think the reputation of our cricketers in comparison to how racist our actual country has been, is quite disproportionate. Bradman played against West Indies and Indian players and even though he was a bit of a dick, always preached a culture of respect. The 60-61 series against the West Indies further imbued the Aussie team with an ability to play the man and not the colour. But there are still occasional isolated incidents. While not 'racist' as such, Warner's exhortation to Rohit Sharma to 'speak English' was fairly ignorant.

Greenidge is a really interesting surname in West Indian cricket.

Three Greenidges made their debut for the West Indies in the 70s - Geoff, Gordon & Alvin. No Greenidges played for the WI either prior to or subsequent to those three.

I have a feeling that Geoff Greenidge was the last white man to play Test cricket for the Windies until Brendan Nash appeared for them.

I recall they had a fast bowler named Richard Edwards who played just prior to Geoff Greenidge who was also white.

Gordon Greenidge is unrelated to Alvin - the latter got his start in the side when the WSC players were prevented from playing Test cricket in 78 on the Australian tour.

Mate that's not opinion. He wasn't calling him a 'fan of the block? Arsewipe.'

I think the reputation of our cricketers in comparison to how racist our actual country has been, is quite disproportionate. Bradman played against West Indies and Indian players and even though he was a bit of a dick, always preached a culture of respect. The 60-61 series against the West Indies further imbued the Aussie team with an ability to play the man and not the colour. But there are still occasional isolated incidents. While not 'racist' as such, Warner's exhortation to Rohit Sharma to 'speak English' was fairly ignorant.
Well you show me one article where it says he racially abused him?

Cannot believe if he said that, it has never been mentioned in a book or a news article.
Of course it's opinion.

That's what I'm saying though, there has been isolated incidents but hardly an an avalanche of racial abuse
as he said.

PB seems to think it's only the Aussies who dish it out.

"Aussies were racist AF" and you gave 2 dodgy examples.
Hang on, two minutes ago you've just said I provided no examples, now I've given you two, three with the uthapa example. Can't have it both ways saying I make grand statements with zero evidence when you're doing that exact thing.

Well you show me one article where it says he racially abused him?

Cannot believe if he said that, it has never been mentioned in a book or a news article.
Of course it's opinion.

That's what I'm saying though, there has been isolated incidents but hardly an an avalanche of racial abuse
as he said.

PB seems to think it's only the Aussies who dish it out.

I don’t need to I literally just watched it. As I said there’s probably a fairly logical reason as to why it didn’t degenerate into a diplomatic incident.

I’m not suggesting for a second this was regularly happening.

I'm not going to get into a sidetracked "everyone else was racist not just us so there" argument. That's straw man stuff. We still struggle with containing racism on our own streets to this day, we've been poor in the past on field and I just called it out. If the two old blokes here have an issue with that I could care less.

Also , while I'm definitely sympathetic to Symonds if he did in fact get called that name by harbajan, it didn't do him any favours to label robin utthapa a baby gorilla. Basically shows he's a hypocrite https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/817418/the-gorilla-in-symonds-midst/
"If he did get called a gorilla"?
3 or 4 Aussies testified they heard it, but OK.

I'm not condoning what Symonds said.
Again there have been some incidents but not all by Aussies.
You're making it sound like it was a common occurrence.

You seem to be unable to have a balanced debate.
This was shown in your PC V Lillee diatribe when people didn't agree with you.

I'm not going to get into a sidetracked "everyone else was racist not just us so there" argument. That's straw man stuff. We still struggle with containing racism on our own streets to this day, we've been poor in the past on field and I just called it out. If the two old blokes here have an issue with that I could care less.
Again, showing your lack of intelligence.

Why not just say "If 2 blokes don't agree", rather than saying old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back