AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

No mate, Laverde hasn't set the bar very high at all. One good quarter at AFL level in 2018. Aside from filling a critical need as the second ruck, McKernan had more of a significant impact at AFL level this year than Laverde and hence my comment.
Pretty easy to have more of an impact playing a key position role when your taller, older, stronger and haven’t had injuries galore.

If he inherited B. Caracella's footy nous along with those long sleeves, he'd be nigh on unstoppable.

Caracella was/is an absolute GUN. If he inherited 1/10 of his footy nous Laverde would be vastly better player.

Two year deal like Mckernan seems right. Injury free and he can become a valuable consistent contributor to our team. Needs to keep on learning and play the roles asked of him.

Laverde is amazingly overrated on here. He is judged more on his rig and what he might one day demonstrate rather than actual output!
Well people do tend gravitate to the extremes around here (or the extreme opinions are more vocal) the two main groups on Laverde seem to be:
a) He's awesome, why isn't he getting games?
b) He hasn't played enough games since we drafted him - he's s**t. Injuries are just excuses.
/hyperbole
The reality is in middle somewhere.

ps. my favourite piece of bigfooty logic is if one of our 45 listed players isn't currently best 22, then he's a waste of a list spot.

Well people do tend gravitate to the extremes around here (or the extreme opinions are more vocal) the two main groups on Laverde seem to be:
a) He's awesome, why isn't he getting games?
b) He hasn't played enough games since we drafted him - he's s**t. Injuries are just excuses.
/hyperbole
The reality is in middle somewhere.

ps. my favourite piece of bigfooty logic is if one of our 45 listed players isn't currently best 22, then he's a waste of a list spot.
That is is pretty accurate I think. With that in mind, if you were our list manager, how many years does he get?

Laverde is amazingly overrated on here. He is judged more on his rig and what he might one day demonstrate rather than actual output!
Ah, all players who haven't played many games are judged on what they might one day become. There's nothing wrong with that, as almost invariably players improve.
But if people believe he will become a very good player based on what they've seen, only time will tell if they're overrating him or you're underrating him.

1. Laverde has been injury every year since his first year, mostly significant time away
2. Laverde in the 2nd half of the year was being developed in the VFL exactly the same way that Langford and Francis have been
3. So many people were saying laconic Langford and unfit Francis wouldn't make it
4. All of you haters can go scramble when he gets a proper run at it

Are you legit comparing Laverde to a 28y/o player that seriously just started showing ANY form of consistency in his 9th year at his second club? He's only played more than 10 games once in his career (in his 2nd year at Adelaide).
I am comparing them from a list management perspective based on recent form - the points you raise are largely irrelevant.

1. Laverde has been injury every year since his first year, mostly significant time away
2. Laverde in the 2nd half of the year was being developed in the VFL exactly the same way that Langford and Francis have been
3. So many people were saying laconic Langford and unfit Francis wouldn't make it

Laverde is injury prone and is more or less the same player he was in his debut season, not sure why you (or anyone else for that matter) are so optimistic of him 'making it'.

Are you legit comparing Laverde to a 28y/o player that seriously just started showing ANY form of consistency in his 9th year at his second club? He's only played more than 10 games once in his career (in his 2nd year at Adelaide).
Seems a decent comparison for Laverde. If he can last that long in the system of course.

Physically he's the absolute prototype for what a modern forward should be and that game against Port illustrates exactly what he could become with a better run at it, nothing he did was any sort of surprise to me and nor should it surprise anyone else. I'm still of the belief that he's capable of being very good if we give him the chance to get there.

Call me crazy but I'd be inclined to give him a year more than what is probably reasonable to get there, at this stage that's 2, and it looks as if he's going to get that show of faith so I'm wrapped.

A work colleague plays at Port Melbourne. He's 188cm tall and this year played in every position on the ground. Forward, back, ruck and midfield. I was talking to him about long-term aims, whether or not he thinks he can get drafted. I was saying how he's a good size for a modern mid, but he was pointing out that while he's pretty much the same as a "good-sized" mid they are heavier than him. He brought up Laverde's game against Port this year. Said Jayden KILLED them in the middle. He was just too big, too strong and too fast.

I really hope we play him and we develop him to be 50/50 mid/forward. Myers played minutes forward this year and Stringer played minutes on the ball. We all know that Langford as played a fair bit forward over the journey too. Between the four of them, we have enough big bodied mids. We have Heppell and we have the terrier capabilities of Smith, Parish and Zerrett too. For mine, Jayden completes our contest ball team. He also has breakaway speed. He also brings an aerial capacity to the midfield. Also if he trains for the midfield the increased running capacity will also be an addition to our midfield.

Out of our recent draftees I have been most excited about him and Francis and marked both as potential superstars. I think it is pretty clear that Francis is going to be a that superstar barring injuries, well it is pretty clear to me. I still think that Laverde has it all. I am less enamoured than most by his game against Port because his first quarter goals had a sense of "getting on the end of a few" and then he faded away after that. However, I still see it all clicking for him if he developed as a midfielder who is strong overhead and plays a lot of minutes up forward.

My work has a heap of AFL influence now!! Ex-Essendon player, current VFL player and current AFL umpire (and is also the son of an ex-AFL coach who is currently an annoying media commentator).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am comparing them from a list management perspective based on recent form - the points you raise are largely irrelevant.

Laverde is injury prone and is more or less the same player he was in his debut season, not sure why you (or anyone else for that matter) are so optimistic of him 'making it'.
Haters gonna hate.
Laverde going great.
M8

On point 4 - us haters have the toughest job of all on here. Never get any credit when we are right. Expected to put our hands up when wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back