Player Watch #41: Blake Drury - 17d/2 goals vs Geelong - keeps his spot vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the rookie draft is for small blokes with no athletic upside...
Rookie picks should be some big swing for the fence on someone with at least one elite trait or some big ceiling.
Patch Adam’s was a rookie pick with limited athletic upside.

It didn’t turn out too bad for him.

I have no issue with us taking a kid at a Rookie spot to see if he can make the transition.

I more worried about taking then in the National Draft.

Im sure there is a stat that a lot of rookie picks don’t make the grade.

He’s 12 months in the system. It wouldn’t be unusual for them to re-rookie him to see how much he can improve over the next 12 months.

I have no issue with us taking a kid at a Rookie spot to see if he can make the transition.

I more worried about taking then in the National Draft.

Im sure there is a stat that a lot of rookie picks don’t make the grade.

He’s 12 months in the system. It wouldn’t be unusual for them to re-rookie him to see how much he can improve over the next 12 months.
He was a good size and a good contested player. Don’t see the comparison apart from the hair.

He was a good size and a good contested player. Don’t see the comparison apart from the hair.
Patch wasn’t a big bloke.

After a few years in the system he bulked up, but he was never big height wise.

I actually looked it up they are the same height @ 176 cm.

Patch was 5kg heavier but Drury can add size.

After 3 years Patch had played 8 games with a season lost to an ACL in 2008.

My point is that people are writing off Drury very quickly, especially since he was a young kid coming off the rookie list. I don’t think the club selected him expecting much senior AFL level footy this year.

Patch was scragging Paul Curtis behind the goals before last week's game - giving him a bit of stick to prime him for the game, so I yelled out, "Slam him Patchy" to play it up a bit. Curtis looked up into the crowd and I'm sure he was thinking, "Hey mate, shut the heck up!!".

I reckon Patch could have had PC on toast.

Patch was scragging Paul Curtis behind the goals before last week's game - giving him a bit of stick to prime him for the game, so I yelled out, "Slam him Patchy" to play it up a bit. Curtis looked up into the crowd and I'm sure he was thinking, "Hey mate, shut the heck up!!".

You are comparing a grown man to a kid.

Drury is 18/19 and has plenty of time to bulk up.

This is Patch in his U19 year. Hardly any bigger than Drury.

1692703305768.png

PC would destroy Patch.

The kid is freakishly strong.

I think someone had said he nearly benches the most at the club currently.

PC would destroy Patch.

The kid is freakishly strong.

I think someone had said he nearly benches the most at the club currently.
Hey, it was a training drill yet it appeared to me that Patch was getting under PCs skin (obviously that's why they were doing the drill). Curtis didn't appear to like the hard checking. If the intention was to have him break away and lead out for a mark then that didn't happen.

Hey, it was a training drill yet it appeared to me that Patch was getting under PCs skin (obviously that's why they were doing the drill). Curtis didn't appear to like the hard checking. If the intention was to have him break away and lead out for a mark then that didn't happen.
Curtis doesn't appear to like anything that requires him to break a sweat. I hope to God he gets his tank to an acceptable standard one day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He kept getting concussed and ended up being chicken winged by Judd, I don't think it turned out too great for him either. Was a gutsy player though.

Know a bloke that played on him first year and he was raving the next day about his strength
So PC can bench 140. His last couple of games were certainly good and I'm definitely in the camp that hopes he can become a genuinely fantastic power forward. If Patch can get a bit of aggression going in Paul then I think it might be happening.

Locked in.

Rawlings said the club looked forward to seeing what Dawson, Drury and Free could achieve next season.

“We are equally excited to have Kallan, Blake and Hamish on board for 2024 to see what they can do with another AFL pre-season under their belt,” he said.

“Blake offers some versatility being used at both ends of the ground this year, and Kallan (defence) and Hamish (ruck) provide more tall options for us.

“All three players have impressed with their willingness to work hard and improve, and we know they will be eager to make the most of their opportunities next season.”

I actually looked it up they are the same height @ 176 cm.

Patch was 5kg heavier but Drury can add size.

After 3 years Patch had played 8 games with a season lost to an ACL in 2008.

My point is that people are writing off Drury very quickly, especially since he was a young kid coming off the rookie list. I don’t think the club selected him expecting much senior AFL level footy this year.
Seriously, even if Drury becomes another Patch Adams, that's the bloody last thing we need.

needs more C3PO

doomed-star-wars.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back