Player Watch #42 Robbie Fox - The Fantastic Mr Fox

Remove this Banner Ad

DAvciZcK.jpg

Robbie Fox

Player Profile

Capable of playing as a defender, shifting forward or pinch-hitting in the ruck, Robbie Fox is a versatile option for Sydney Swans coach John Longmire. The Tasmanian is also one of the best endurance runners at the club and can take a strong contested grab. Sydney rookie-listed Fox in November 2016 and he’s since fought hard to become a regular member of the Swans’ best 22. He played 11 senior matches in 2019. Draft history: 2017 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 34.

Robbie Fox

DOB: 16 April 1993
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Burnie Dockers (Tas)/Coburg Lions (VFL)

Last edited:
A few people seem surprised by the Robbie Fox delisting, why in particular? Was it a particular skill set thing or was it more a "he's 27 and not in our future" thing?

Essendon have lost a heap of experience from our defensive group with Saad and McKenna gone and Fantasia also out, we are stuck with very little in the way of small defensive depth. We do have room for one DFA (unless we decide to hit the middle parts of this national draft) and Robbie seems to fit what we should be looking for.

What could we hope for?

A few people seem surprised by the Robbie Fox delisting, why in particular? Was it a particular skill set thing or was it more a "he's 27 and not in our future" thing?

Essendon have lost a heap of experience from our defensive group with Saad and McKenna gone and Fantasia also out, we are stuck with very little in the way of small defensive depth. We do have room for one DFA (unless we decide to hit the middle parts of this national draft) and Robbie seems to fit what we should be looking for.

What could we hope for?
A competent footy player that will give you all of his ability. He will never do anything flash but rather simply be solid. He has a limited ceiling and he has reached that.

That is not derogatory just factual. In a bottom 4 side like us he was fine. In a structured backline like ours - fine.

He might get shown up in a less structured setting but you will get a guy that has a crack and there is a lot that can be said for that.

I can fully understand keeping or losing him - it matter little. You would hope a highish draft pick like we have in Gould with a year in the system overtakes him easily.

He has a nice mo as well so yeh - take him over the metrosexual bun wearers for sure.

A competent footy player that will give you all of his ability. He will never do anything flash but rather simply be solid. He has a limited ceiling and he has reached that.

That is not derogatory just factual. In a bottom 4 side like us he was fine. In a structured backline like ours - fine.

He might get shown up in a less structured setting but you will get a guy that has a crack and there is a lot that can be said for that.

I can fully understand keeping or losing him - it matter little. You would hope a highish draft pick like we have in Gould with a year in the system overtakes him easily.

He has a nice mo as well so yeh - take him over the metrosexual bun wearers for sure.
Is he quick enough to play on the Charlie Cameron's, Tom Papley's?

Is he quick enough to play on the Charlie Cameron's, Tom Papley's?
Not many are. He'd do OK, if not dominant.
I'd add a bit to Mark's post. Fox played midfield in the ressies and was virtually captain. He is good tactically and a leader. Has good voice.
Well organised, what I would call compact. Unlikely to ever be a star but IMO a damn good pickup for a bag of chips.
We had too many defenders and he drew the short straw, but his age counted against him in a rebuild.

I'd add a bit to Mark's post. Fox played midfield in the ressies and was virtually captain. He is good tactically and a leader. Has good voice.
Well organised, what I would call compact. Unlikely to ever be a star but IMO a damn good pickup for a bag of chips.
We had too many defenders and he drew the short straw, but his age counted against him in a rebuild.
We've some reasonable defenders capable of running the ball so we'd be on the hunt for a more lock down defender with Matt Guelfi our #1 man at the moment which is a worry for our list.

Fox could obviously fill that void for us, even if it were for two years, that's all I would look for personally.

We've some reasonable defenders capable of running the ball so we'd be on the hunt for a more lock down defender with Matt Guelfi our #1 man at the moment which is a worry for our list.

Fox could obviously fill that void for us, even if it were for two years, that's all I would look for personally.
I doubt he would let you down.

He is the perfect part of a 28 man senior list - can do a job at either end competently and costs sfa.

Why did we get rid of him then.....we have heaps of those guys that are younger with higher ceilings is all and are costing about the same right now. I also will hasten to add he is probably a casualty of the reduced list sizes - I reckon he stays with us for 2 years if times were normal as part of that best 28 set up.

If you do happen to jag him he is a perfectly good foot soldier that will just keep on chugging.

HEY GET YOUR STINKING HANDS OFF ROBBIE HE IS OURS (again)....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Gardiner is a Machiavellian despot with mind control powers over the entire coaching and recruiting staff. It can be the only answer!

Footage of Charlie Gardiner inspiring the troops.

Interesting points about his leadership. What I like about him especially in season 2020 is his decision-making. Not flashy, but takes good options. Glad he's been thrown a lifeline.

Interesting points about his leadership. What I like about him especially in season 2020 is his decision-making. Not flashy, but takes good options. Glad he's been thrown a lifeline.
I watched carefully during set ups like boundary throwins after Rampe was injured. Fox was doing most of the talking and pointing. Same in Ressies. He is definitely an on field leader.

What's your thing against Charlie? Seems like you hate him no matter what he does?

Don't hate Charlie Corporate. I am however totally mystified why out of 1000's of corporate lawyers without any experience or apparent acumen in Footy Depts he was selected. I have seen zero that would suggest he adds value.

Don't hate Charlie Corporate. I am however totally mystified why out of 1000's of corporate lawyers without any experience or apparent acumen in Footy Depts he was selected. I have seen zero that would suggest he adds value.
What have you seen that suggests that he isn't as valuable as any other in the league?

Who would you take instead?

What have you seen that suggests that he isn't as valuable as any other in the league?

Who would you take instead?

Neil Balme by streets. But really I think the role is designed for wise experienced former coaches or assistant coaches, ie people with a lot of experience in Clubland. In our situation I think it important we have a FD head who is tough and wise enough to take on the CEO and hold senior Footy Dept staff to account when this is necessary. The role also requires some media management abilities inc crisis management.

People like Alan Richardson and even Vossy would have been great.

Neil Balme by streets. But really I think the role is designed for wise experienced former coaches or assistant coaches, ie people with a lot of experience in Clubland. In our situation I think it important we have a FD head who is tough and wise enough to take on the CEO and hold senior Footy Dept staff to account when this is necessary. The role also requires some media management abilities inc crisis management.

People like Alan Richardson and even Vossy would have been great.
And probably much more expensive & with greater exposure/pressure which we may not want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back