4th Ashes Test: Australia v England, Chester-le-Street, August 9-13.

Remove this Banner Ad

Individual England players have stood up in every test when the game was in the balance. Who has honestly done that for us consistantly? Harris is the only one to have done it in very test he's played. Hughes and Agar fleetingly kept us in the first test when hope looked gone, second test was a complete debacle, Clarke, Rogers and Harris were terrific in the third and again it was left to Rogers and Harris in the fourth. Instead of all the bitching and moaning that goes on here about luck and umpiring (which is understandable in the "matchday" thread in real time, but is just being a poor loser if you keep that chip on shoulder) recognise that as hateable as he is, Broad has bowled brilliantly this series and rises to the occasion every time England need him with the bat. Also, Bell has been terrific right throughout the series. Swann has been clearly the difference in the sides bowling attacks. Throw in cameos from Anderson, Pietersen and Cook who have had mixed form this series and thats why they are winning. Those cameos are the best we are getting from our cricketers at the moment, save for Harris and maybe Rogers.

Did you here what else Lehmann said;

"PLAY STRAIGHT"

Sing it from the rooftops - the basics of the game haven't changed in 140 years. Play Straight.

Funny, I was talking about this in the office about Ian Bell. We agreed he did three things the Australian batsmen mostly couldn't grasp.......

1. Play straight.
2. Play yourself in.
3. Make the bowler actually get you out.

Just pointing out that England have won 3 matches and Australia have not won any.

That makes it 3 nil, no matter how much hand wringing is going on.

Australia need to win the big moments in matches like they used to.

Yep and if we were an otherwise solid team that had missed opportunities just in this one series i could understand people saying we have been unlucky but having some bright moments and then some unbelievably shocking ones has been our pattern for years now.

Truth is we just can't find a way to win against quality teams who keep coming at us, against sri lanka at home or against the west indies you can have awful sessions and still win the match.

We have played 11 tests in the last 10 months vs the top 3 teams for 8 losses and 3 draws, thats not just down to bad luck.

Just pointing out that England have won 3 matches and Australia have not won any.

That makes it 3 nil, no matter how much hand wringing is going on.

Australia need to win the big moments in matches like they used to.

I note that this post was taken in the spirit in which it was intended. I read it back and thought to myself that I could be seen to be gloating.

As a pom, I actually want Australia to be a good side. I want England to get better and be back to the best in the world, which they held only briefly. But I want them to be beating good Australian sides, not just being better almost by default.

Individual England players have stood up in every test when the game was in the balance. Who has honestly done that for us consistantly? Harris is the only one to have done it in very test he's played. Hughes and Agar fleetingly kept us in the first test when hope looked gone, second test was a complete debacle, Clarke, Rogers and Harris were terrific in the third and again it was left to Rogers and Harris in the fourth. Instead of all the bitching and moaning that goes on here about luck and umpiring (which is understandable in the "matchday" thread in real time, but is just being a poor loser if you keep that chip on shoulder) recognise that as hateable as he is, Broad has bowled brilliantly this series and rises to the occasion every time England need him with the bat. Also, Bell has been terrific right throughout the series. Swann has been clearly the difference in the sides bowling attacks. Throw in cameos from Anderson, Pietersen and Cook who have had mixed form this series and thats why they are winning. Those cameos are the best we are getting from our cricketers at the moment, save for Harris and maybe Rogers.
1 test of good bowling = bowling brilliantly all series, and 1 50 (when he smashed to slip in the 30's) = rises to the occasion every time England need him with the bat...
OK

We have played 11 tests in the last 10 months vs the top 3 teams for 8 losses and 3 draws, thats not just down to bad luck.
Take the debacle of the Indian series out, and also look at the individual results, and our only really poor performance has been at Lord's. We have been competitive in all the other matches.

How many wickets did broad take in the 3 tests before this one? I'll give you a clue, not many.

Take the debacle of the Indian series out, and also look at the individual results, and our only really poor performance has been at Lord's. We have been competitive in all the other matches.

Trent Bridge would have been the same apart from two freakish last wicket partnerships .I don't see how anyone can think differently

So, looking at an 11 game series, if you take out 4 complete smashings, you've only been smashed once and still haven't won a single game and that's in some way an achievement?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

So, looking at an 11 game series, if you take out 4 complete smashings, you've only been smashed once and still haven't won a single game and that's in some way an achievement?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
We were never going anywhere in India. At least 1 of the Indian series was not a smashing also. And yes, I think being competitive in most matches vs top teams is something we can build on... rather than being continually smashed by an innings at home...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back