Current 9yo Charlise Mutten - Blue Mountains * Justin Stein charged with murder

Remove this Banner Ad

At 7:45 the police say they have no evidence to support anything other than the accused acting alone.

At 8:44 the police state that AFTER some phone calls between the mother and the fiance, the fiance bought sandbags and fuel then tried to float a boat. The cops aren't suggesting that the two colluded by talking about buying sandbags and fuel, only that there was a flurry of calls between the two that were electronically registered and went into the timeline in tracking his movements. The context of the phone calls between the two is the timeline, not what they talked about.

The mother when she finally talks to the police, might even say her and the fiance had a fight and she thought Charlise was with him. That those phone calls were her trying to find out what was going on and demanding to speak to her daughter.

Yeah, thanks for clarifying Kurve, I probably should have gone back through the reports again. I'm still not convinced the mother is at least culpable in all this - happy to be wrong, but her life decisions, including recent ones, don't exactly scream "responsible parent" to me. As for the accused, hopefully prison life is one of endless fear for him, although given he's been inside before, he probably knows what to expect. Except this time, as a child-killer rather than a drug trafficker, he might find it's a different experience entirely.

Yeah, thanks for clarifying Kurve, I probably should have gone back through the reports again. I'm still not convinced the mother is at least culpable in all this - happy to be wrong, but her life decisions, including recent ones, don't exactly scream "responsible parent" to me. As for the accused, hopefully prison life is one of endless fear for him, although given he's been inside before, he probably knows what to expect. Except this time, as a child-killer rather than a drug trafficker, he might find it's a different experience entirely.

Just waiting to see a reliable timeline of her movements and which should be verifiable. I'm thinking she's left Charlise with the fiance and when she got back, they're either not there or he's given her some kind of excuse for why she isn't there and then he's taken off.

Even if she went out Tuesday night to work or whatever, that's still a long way from reporting her daughter missing on the Friday morning.

In withdrawal?

Possibly this or a severe mental health type breakdown where the doctors wont allow her to be questioned until they are sure it wont cause her to have another severe mental episode (ie until she is more stable).

Just waiting to see a reliable timeline of her movements and which should be verifiable. I'm thinking she's left Charlise with the fiance and when she got back, they're either not there or he's given her some kind of excuse for why she isn't there and then he's taken off.

Even if she went out Tuesday night to work or whatever, that's still a long way from reporting her daughter missing on the Friday morning.
A para in the updating News.com.au article suggests the conversations with the mum were in the lead up to the body being found:

EF37F2B7-50EC-4B33-9D40-566EF0F741C0.jpeg If they have that right then the mum has some problems.

Daily Mail seems to report the same thing a bit differently. It omits the reference to the girl’s mother in the quote.

If they have that right then the mum has some problems.

Daily Mail seems to report the same thing a bit differently. It omits the reference to the girl’s mother in the quote.

They're quoting from the police presser where it's left a bit open to interpretation.

In one sentence they claim there's no evidence the mother was involved then a few minutes later, continue with a messy statement that might indicate she was.

A para in the updating News.com.au article suggests the conversations with the mum were in the lead up to the body being found:

View attachment 1313435If they have that right then the mum has some problems.

Yeah, that's what I thought the timeline originally was described in an article (there's so many now I can't recall which one). So phone conversations were after police became involved but before body was found. If that is the case, that excerpt still doesn't categorically state one way or another if police tapped his phone, but given they don't seem to have interviewed the mother as yet due to her medical episode, how else would they know the details of what was discussed in the calls?

I agree the mother has some problems, esp if she is discussing sand bags and fuel while her daughter is still 'missing', but the most culpable one for me is that she didn't report her daughter missing for three days. What could cause someone to wait 3 days? I'm betting it's because (a) she knew, before or after the fact doesn't matter, what had happened to her daughter, as she'd left the accused looking after her while she went somewhere, or (b) she was so out of it leading up the disappearance or wherever she went that she had no idea what had happened or that her daughter was even missing, or (c) he may have threatened her so she wouldn't reveal anything - he may have spun her some story as well.

I'm really interested to hear her account of why it took three days to raise the alarm that a 9yo was missing though. I think back to when my kids were around that age - if they'd been missing for an hour I'd be raising a hue and cry.

They're quoting from the police presser where it's left a bit open to interpretation.

In one sentence they claim there's no evidence the mother was involved then a few minutes later, continue with a messy statement that might indicate she was.

Yeah, the fact that she waited three days to alert anyone her 9yo daughter was missing will be an interesting explanation from the mother - I think that alone points to her probably knowing something, if not actually guilty of any physical action.

Maybe the presser was deliberately open to interpretation? Put the pressure on?

If JS was involved in some high level criminal activity; drugs, theft, child exploitation stuff or associated with people who were, his phone may have already been under surveillance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm really interested to hear her account of why it took three days to raise the alarm that a 9yo was missing though. I think back to when my kids were around that age - if they'd been missing for an hour I'd be raising a hue and cry.

Towards the end of that presser which is now looking like the dogs breakfast, the cop says there's some evidence that she was still alive on Wednesday but that may be challenged.

Maybe the presser was deliberately open to interpretation? Put the pressure on?

If JS was involved in some high level criminal activity; drugs, theft, child exploitation stuff or associated with people who were, his phone may have already been under surveillance.
Or they twigged almost immediately that he was likely the culprit when they met him and they moved fast.

Seems like this guy’s brain is well and truly cooked so it wouldn’t surprise if he slipped up royally while under surveillance.

Yeah, that's what I thought the timeline originally was described in an article (there's so many now I can't recall which one). So phone conversations were after police became involved but before body was found. If that is the case, that excerpt still doesn't categorically state one way or another if police tapped his phone, but given they don't seem to have interviewed the mother as yet due to her medical episode, how else would they know the details of what was discussed in the calls?

I agree the mother has some problems, esp if she is discussing sand bags and fuel while her daughter is still 'missing', but the most culpable one for me is that she didn't report her daughter missing for three days. What could cause someone to wait 3 days? I'm betting it's because (a) she knew, before or after the fact doesn't matter, what had happened to her daughter, as she'd left the accused looking after her while she went somewhere, or (b) she was so out of it leading up the disappearance or wherever she went that she had no idea what had happened or that her daughter was even missing, or (c) he may have threatened her so she wouldn't reveal anything - he may have spun her some story as well.

Maybe denial and drugs? I assume she came back Wednesday but maybe she didn't come back until Thursday.

If she arrived home Wednesday maybe she was strung out. Maybe he told her she ran away in a huff after he told her off. He tells KM not to call the cops because then she'd have to explain her absence, her partying. Both could be drug tested. Both could end up back in prison, she will turn up.

Or he told her CM was staying with his brother, a friend, whatever and KMs in love with this guy from a wealthy family who wants to marry her, so despite her misgivings she believes him.

Maybe they fight about it Thursday night and he takes off at 4.30 to get rid of the body or check on it and then keeps going in the direction of Penrith (going back to his home) and at 8am KM realises his gone, something terrible has happened, and she calls 000 at 8.20 to report CM missing and that her fiance is now also missing/has been acting suspicious and police intercept JS on his travels and direct him to the nearest station that happens to be Penrith.

Or they twigged almost immediately that he was likely the culprit when they met him and they moved fast.

Seems like this guy’s brain is well and truly cooked so it wouldn’t surprise if he slipped up royally while under surveillance.

After he was at Penrith police station and his car was seized he was released right? Because he was arrested some place near Sydney?

Was he stupid enough to phone KM and tell her what he'd done in attempts to get rid of the body? That the sandbags, boat etc didn't work?

After he was at Penrith police station and his car was seized he was released right? Because he was arrested some place near Sydney?

Was he stupid enough to phone KM and tell her what he'd done in attempts to get rid of the body? That the sandbags, boat etc didn't work?
Regardless, it seems they spoke while she was in too much of a state to give a statement to police…

What was this animals motive?
If he's still using my guess is she was was violently beaten in a drug fuelled rage, probably over something minor, he probably hated the fact that his fiance's kid was staying with them and tensions were up from the get go, my theory. My first impression from his pic is that he's a violent POS.

It was developed into a wedding venue by Justin’s brother James Stein Jr and his husband Keegan Buzza, who until last May worked as a senior media adviser for then minister for industry, science and technology Karen Andrews.

Keegan is the brother of Wylie Buzza and former radio newsreader. Lovely guy and he must be feeling devastated that this poor girl lost her life at the hands of his deadshit brother in law.

'Stein had been medicated for mental health issues at “high dosages” for “many years” and Magistrate Robert Williams agreed the medication should continue while he was on remand in jail.'

More detail published tonight on exactly what medications.
Antipsychotics: Seroquel and Risperidone.

'How police tracked missing girl’s alleged killer'

'The court heard Mr Stein was “under long-term care for mental health problems”, with his lawyer saying he has been prescribed Seroquel and Risperidone, both antipsychotic medications, at “high dosages” for “many years”.'

More detail published tonight on exactly what medications.
Antipsychotics: Seroquel and Risperidone.

'How police tracked missing girl’s alleged killer'

'The court heard Mr Stein was “under long-term care for mental health problems”, with his lawyer saying he has been prescribed Seroquel and Risperidone, both antipsychotic medications, at “high dosages” for “many years”.'
I guess the question now is was he taking his medication?

Another possible scenario is perhaps seen as there was obviously some very potent drugs around the place and that through what ever means CMs death was caused by an overdose. Which would put them straight back in the firing line...

With 100kg of sand and an empty barrel, Justin Stein allegedly attempted a cover-up

By Sally Rawsthorne, Daniella White and Megan Gorrey

On the banks of the Colo River on Sydney’s north-west fringe, with 100kg of sand and an empty barrel, Justin Stein allegedly attempted a brazen cover-up.
Police say between last Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, Mr Stein allegedly murdered his fiancee’s nine-year-old daughter, Charlise Mutten, who was visiting the lavish grounds of his family’s remote Blue Mountains estate Wildenstein.

To hide what he had allegedly done, Mr Stein towed a boat from the Mount Wilson property and tried to dump the schoolgirl’s body in the Hawkesbury River, but was unable to start the vessel.
So he drove his ute to the Colo River, where he allegedly planned to cast Charlise into the water inside a barrel filled with the sand he had bought from a Bunnings hardware store last Thursday afternoon. But it was all too heavy for him to shift, forcing him to allegedly leave it on the water’s edge.

Last Friday morning Charlise’s mother Kallista Mutten and Mr Stein reported her daughter missing, saying they had last seen the girl on Thursday. It sparked a five-day search involving hundreds of police and thousands of volunteers in the bushland surrounding the property.
But police were running a separate homicide investigation, examining the possibility Charlise had met with foul play. Many of Mr Stein’s movements in the 24 hours before Charlise was reported missing had been captured on CCTV and through the GPS on his mobile phone.
That led police to Charlise’s remains on Tuesday night with detectives arresting Mr Stein, 31, at a Surry Hills apartment a short time later, charging him with her murder.
Deputy Police Commissioner Dave Hudson said police were still working on a motive and were waiting on an autopsy to determine the cause of death.

“Obviously we start off these searches with a lot of hope, but unfortunately, we always have in the back of our minds the worst,” the commissioner said.
“That’s why lessons from previous investigations have taught us that we don’t just need to conduct a missing person search but also in parallel to that an investigative search which revealed rewards last night.”

A man is behind bars, accused of murdering a nine-year-old girl whose body was found in a barrel by the Colo River.
Court documents say Mr Stein murdered Charlise between 7pm last Tuesday and 10am on Wednesday.
Charlise had been living with her grandmother on the Gold Coast.

The nine-year-old was a student at Tweed Heads Primary School on the NSW-Queensland border but had spent the January holidays reunited with her mother at the Blue Mountains property, which is often rented out as a high-end wedding venue.
Police on Wednesday said they had not yet spoken to Kallista Mutten at length as she was under health supervision and had been “difficult to approach and contact”.

“The investigation will be ongoing. At this stage we have no evidence to support anything other than the accused acted alone. However it is still early days in the investigation,” Hudson said.
Detectives’ suspicions about Mr Stein grew after he allegedly gave them two differing versions of the events leading up to the time of Charlise’s supposed disappearance. He was first spoken to by police on Friday afternoon at Penrith where his red ute was also seized for forensic testing.

Mr Hudson said as the investigation progressed detectives soon allegedly uncovered a “number of anomalies” in relation to his whereabouts in the days before Charlise was reported missing.

Through electronic means, through CCTV, through GPS tracking we were able to establish certain facts about the vehicle he was driving and those movements and also certain suspicious behaviour that escalated our scrutiny about his potential involvement,” Hudson said.

That behaviour also allegedly included a series of phone calls made to his fiancee while buying the sandbags and his purchasing of fuel for the boat at a local petrol station.

Wearing a grey Everlast hoodie, Mr Stein briefly appeared in Central Local Court via audio-visual link from Surry Hills police centre on Wednesday. The court heard he suffers from “long term” mental health problems.

He did not apply for bail and it was formally refused with his lawyer asking for him to be held in solitary confinement in prison because he fears for his safety. Magistrate Robin Williams refused to make the order, saying that was a matter for Corrective Services.
Police prosecutor Liam Edwards asked for additional time before the matter returned to court, citing the “complexities of this matter [and] the evidence gathered” by the police.
Mr Stein will be transferred to Silverwater Prison where he will undertake two weeks quarantine before appearing in court again in March.
Mr Stein’s parents James and Annemie Stein are well-known antique dealers with a shop in the Queen Victoria Building, which they describe as offering “world-class antique jewellery, bespoke jewellery and objects d’art”. Martin & Stein was closed on Wednesday.
The family has owned Wildenstein for more than two decades, transforming the 12-hectare site into a popular wedding venue, described by its owners as the site of “some of Australia’s most breathtaking and memorable events”. It hosted the nuptials of AFL player Lance “Buddy” Franklin and former model Jesinta Franklin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back