Traded Aaron Hall [traded to North Melbourne for pick 68]

Who won this trade?

• Gold Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd suspect that if NM land both Polec and Gaff that they will abandon their pursuit of Hall.
I imagine he is very much a fall-back option if one of the these deals doesn't eventuate, as he should be
Again, NM being very astute IMO
plan is all 3
we've made list room
gaff FA, Hall for token late pick

Maybe, but I would argue that north want him in the half forward role with a clear impetus on working hard defensively, as half forward and small forwards are an area of concern.
You guys would certainly know more than me on this.
Do you see a place for all three in your best 22? I really don't see it if Gaff and Polec both sign. I'm not sure he offers any more than Garner, Turner, Simpkin in that high half forward spot. Tarryn Thomas likely starts his career in a similar role too. I'd prefer to see NM chase a genuine small forward, perhaps try and shake the Richmond tree and see if Stengle or Bolton fall out

Gaff, Polec and Hall would be a huge off season.
Adding in Thomas and potentially Bailey Scott, North posters are even more buoyant and uppity than we normally are during trade season.

Last edited:
By definition the kangaroos are under pressure.
You cant keep openly trying to sign players and missing out and have no pressure.
How many other clubs missed out on those same players? Are they under pressure too?
The fact that NM got so close with some of those guys given their circumstances at the time is a credit to them

The only pressure being from BF posters and media numpties...

I dont think that's entirely true though is it?

Surely after a while a club has to question why they can offer a sum higher than other clubs and still get knocked back.

Similarly Adelaide should be asking the same question but around keeping players.

If the club doesnt feel under pressure after the goings on of the last few years then they arent in the right frame of mind.

My best 22 Round 1 2019:
B: Williams - Tarrant - EVW

HB: Wright - McKay - MacMillian

C: Gaff - Ahern - Polec

HF: Hall - Larkey - Simpkin

F: Ziebell - Brown - Wood

R: Goldstein - Higgins - Cunnington

IC: Turner (as a small defender), Garner, Scott/Clarke and Thomas

I wouldn't mind Stengle or Bolton, but they would cost a bit and we don't have the currency with Thomas, Scott, Polec trade, etc.
Would Stengle or Bolton cost any more currency than Hall?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many other clubs missed out on those same players? Are they under pressure too?
The fact that NM got so close with some of those guys given their circumstances at the time is a credit to them

Well not many, if any.

There werent really any other players in the game for those players, especially at the price.

It was pretty much North or their original club.

He missed games with injury. Hall has plenty of talent I think North would be extremely happy if they managed to only pay a 3rd rounder for him
I think he's talented too but he's also frequently dropped, turning 28 and only ever played one full season. The Suns chose not to offer him a contract over winter as well. All the ingredients for a trade steal imo.

What will he cost? I'll pick him up from the airport if he get him cheap
I think the main cost was finding his (dentist) wife a job. I dare say she'll be earning more than Aaron.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

But you'll have a fat shiny new McGovern to play with?
She changes teams every 2 months...
I dont think that's entirely true though is it?

Surely after a while a club has to question why they can offer a sum higher than other clubs and still get knocked back.

Similarly Adelaide should be asking the same question but around keeping players.

If the club doesnt feel under pressure after the goings on of the last few years then they arent in the right frame of mind.
Sure, there's internal questioning, as highlighted by the Gubby Allen appointment, but you have to look at the context of who we went after and then you can see why the pressure isn't exactly high now.

Dustin Martin, at the time he was the best player in the league and that deal went right down the wire. Guys like Donald McDonald said the deal was verbally done, but Richmond put enough money in the end to secure Dusty's signature. We got close, we weren't flat out refused straight away.

Kelly, again, one of the best players in the league and quite settled at his club like Dusty. Wasn't as close as the Dusty stuff, but North again came very close and by all reports (even large portions of the media are arguing the same) Kelly is North bound after his current contract is finished. Connors (his manager) played the loyalty card to GWS and the promise of a premiership (to retain his access to GWS and other club's players).

In both situations, North came close. As for Heeney, that was a shot in the dark more than anything else. As an academy pick, it was always going to be extremely difficult to pry him out.

Not concerned one iota, the Gubby appointment has helped sure up any lingering concerns I have about the process.

Would Stengle or Bolton cost any more currency than Hall?
Pretty much what DS said below:
Weirdly they probably cost more at the trade table and less at the chequebook.

She changes teams every 2 months...

Sure, there's internal questioning, as highlighted by the Gubby Allen appointment, but you have to look at the context of who we went after and then you can see why the pressure isn't exactly high now.

Dustin Martin, at the time he was the best player in the league and that deal went right down the wire. Guys like Donald McDonald said the deal was verbally done, but Richmond put enough money in the end to secure Dusty's signature. We got close, we weren't flat out refused straight away.

Kelly, again, one of the best players in the league and quite settled at his club like Dusty. Wasn't as close as the Dusty stuff, but North again came very close and by all reports (even large portions of the media are arguing the same) Kelly is North bound after his current contract is finished. Connors (his manager) played the loyalty card to GWS and the promise of a premiership (to retain his access to GWS and other club's players).

In both situations, North came close. As for Heeney, that was a shot in the dark more than anything else. As an academy pick, it was always going to be extremely difficult to pry him out.

Not concerned one iota, the Gubby appointment has helped sure up any lingering concerns I have about the process.

Pretty much what DS said below:

Good response.
I guess if you'd been down the bottom this year there would be a lot more pressure, but a good first half of the year released the pressure in that way.

Its amazing what a few wins does.

No mention of preseason camp when we were 4-2, when it would've been relevant. However somehow when we have a bunch of long term injuries to key players, start losing, then it then becomes an issue.

Sounds like you're in the box seat to secure some names this year. Personally I think value for money you'll do better out of Gaff/Polec than Kelly.

I didnt think many others were really chasing, or had the currency to chase either or both of those guys.

Not to be a dickhead but getting close is as good as getting nowhere when it comes to recruitment.

Sounds like theres a couple headed for the blue and white stripes next year anyways.

Gaff, Polec and Hall would be a huge off season.
Its effectively MacMillan, McDonald and Wright out and Gaff, Polec and Hall in.
They will supplement Cunnington, Jacobs, Anderson and Ahern well.
Weve been begging for quality outside users for 2 decades.

My best 22 Round 1 2019:

C: Gaff - Ahern - Polec

IC: Turner (as a small defender), Garner, Scott/Clarke and Thomas

I wouldn't mind Stengle or Bolton, but they would cost a bit and we don't have the currency with Thomas, Scott, Polec trade, etc.
Decent effort that, mate, but you did forget Jacobs and I would have Dumont ahead of at least 5 of the guys in that side.

Anyway, on Hall, I'm pretty excited about what he could add. He's got some elite attacking qualities, but there are areas of his game that will need significant work. Hopefully the rejuvenation of playing for a new team will go a long way in addressing some of those issues.

Gaff, Polec and Hall would represent a great off-season. It would address issues that really have been plaguing us for years as a football side, but I would have some concerns over the defensive application that all three of them are capable of.

Decent effort that, mate, but you did forget Jacobs and I would have Dumont ahead of at least 5 of the guys in that side.

Anyway, on Hall, I'm pretty excited about what he could add. He's got some elite attacking qualities, but there are areas of his game that will need significant work. Hopefully the rejuvenation of playing for a new team will go a long way in addressing some of those issues.

Gaff, Polec and Hall would represent a great off-season. It would address issues that really have been plaguing us for years as a football side, but I would have some concerns over the defensive application that all three of them are capable of.
I always forget a few when I do best 22's in the off-season, I'll have another crack:

C: Gaff - Jacobs - Polec

IC: Turner (as a small defender), Ahern, Dumont and Thomas

I always forget a few when I do best 22's in the off-season, I'll have another crack:

C: Gaff - Jacobs - Polec

IC: Turner (as a small defender), Ahern, Dumont and Thomas
Haha I know what you mean.

It's always a great sign when you leave good players out though because it means we might actually have some bloody good depth next season.

By definition the kangaroos are under pressure.
You cant keep openly trying to sign players and missing out and have no pressure.

That's like saying Adelaide live under constant pressure because of how many players have the "go home" factor.

Is that also an accurate statement?

Back