Ablett Discontent at Suns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Gaz asked to be traded back to the Cats but the Suns said no and more news on this breaking now.....

Cochrane: We want a fair deal, and I won't back down. I don't bluff, just google me and you'll see. We are requesting Selwood, Dangerfield, Menzel, the bloke who cried during that TV interview when he left, Bill Brownless and the 2007 premiership cup. If not he is going to the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think everyone feels discontent toward the Suns.
Not me. All I feel for GCS is apathy, and I can't even be bothered with that half the time.

I think it's unfair to label them plastic/fake/soulless etc. but it's hard to take a club that takes a drug-taking rugby league party-boy who'd never heard of AFL as their marquee player seriously, and if that wasn't bad enough now they've hired some random guy from a nursing home (and his grandkids) to coach them.

And they're absolutely diabolical on-field as well.

Suck s**t Gary. Suck s**t.

Last edited:
I've said it so many times.... it was a horrible decision.

It's really robbed him of half a career.

He should have been playing and dominating finals for years more, and perhaps cementing a spot as the best player in history... instead he spent two years with a virtual TAC Cup team that were a practice match for others, and the rest with just a rabble.

Hope the cash was worth it. I wonder what the $ boiled down to in the end.

Lol there are some real flogs on here sometimes, that the rhetoric out of their mouth is just shut the place down constantly, come up with something new.

Anyway, I don't know why he would sign a 3 year contract in 2015 if he wanted to leave. So I don't know how credible the source is. However, if true, it is disappointing and I'd rather play someone that wants to be there.

Lol there are some real flogs on here sometimes, that the rhetoric out of their mouth is just shut the place down constantly, come up with something new.

Anyway, I don't know why he would sign a 3 year contract in 2015 if he wanted to leave. So I don't know how credible the source is. However, if true, it is disappointing and I'd rather play someone that wants to be there.
It's completely true, he wanted out of there.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...g/news-story/a2199232f48b1072ad8d0a1cb97d84e4

GARY Ablett asked Gold Coast to be traded back to Geelong this month.

But Geelong says the Suns instantly rejected that bid and Ablett will honour the final two seasons of his lucrative deal.

The Cats confirmed tonight Suns captain Ablett was keen to return home over the trade period if a deal could be struck.

He was keen to return to Geelong to be closer with his family, despite having $2 million and two years still remaining on his current deal.

Cats head of football Steve Hocking says the Cats would have loved to have Ablett back, but never seriously felt it was viable prospect given the Suns’ commitment.

“Gold Coast was very clear on the fact he was their player and will continue to be their player.

He had just signed a three-year deal earlier in the year,’’ Hocking told theHerald Sun.

“They were very clear on that and shut it down very quickly to Gary. We respected their opinion right from the word go.

“It was him looking to come back to the club and it was all to do with him and the Gold Coast. It didn’t drag on too long, it was shut down by the Gold Coast.”

Geelong has some salary cap space but not enough to afford Ablett’s $1 million a year deal.

If he was to move to the Cats he would need to take a massive pay cut or have Gold Coast pay much of his remaining salary.

It is the latest blow for the Suns, who have just lost Jaeger O’Meara and Dion Prestia to Melbourne clubs.

Ablett will likely lose the captaincy outright over the off-season, likely to share it with Tom Lynch or potential allow him to take it over.
Once he retires I reckon he'll try to quickly forget he ever played for the Queensland franchise.

There was too much smoke for there to not be a fire on this. Pickering has obviously been pushing it for a while. The only surprising this is that it wasn't leaked during the trade period.

If only we were as tough on Caddy honouring his contract as GC were on Ablett...

Last edited:
Gaz wanting out and O'Meara gone. No wonder they played hard to stop Jaeger Bomb going to the Hawks. Losing both would have been huge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back