Adrian Dodoro: Football’s Biggest Fraud IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I recall ITK's mentioning we wanted Taranto with our first ahead of the draft...ahead of SPS. Not sure about Setterfield but he was always going to GWS anyway.

Maybe you're right re: Taranto. I just don't remember that at all.

Think it's fair to say we were very keen on Setterfield given we put in the early bid for him, and chased him hard two years later.

The Blues ITK record is horrendous

No, it really isn't.

I’m still not sure why the McGrath decision is copping so much heat when you only have to go back one draft and see the Parish, Francis, Morgan picks that have really set the list back.

Unfortunately for McGrath he will always be compared to Taranto & McCluggage who were picked right after him...and for now they are doing better which is why the decision cops heat. But obviously McGrath was a consensus for being pick 1-2 region so can't blame Dodo for that. Plus McGrath might improve a lot over the years.

Parish & Francis picks have definitely set Essendon back instead of propelling them forward as you'd hope for picks 5 & 6 in the same draft. By now they should be key contributors to the team, but are still only fringe players. Both had question marks leading into the draft and those question marks remain and seem to be key reasons why neither have made it at AFL level yet.

And as others have mentioned, not drafting/trading in a highly rated inside mid for how many years now is pretty mind boggling. Not sure why he persists with the 'turn flankers into mids' thing. Also i feel Essendon should have drafted/traded in another key forward in the last few years when you look at the list balance. Someone to support Danniher, but also back up due to his injuries. Essendon only had OK support with the likes of Brown & McKernan who were cheap pick ups...when's the last time they used an early pick on a key forward or were seriously linked to trading for one (not including recent rumours of Cameron)?

I’m still not sure why the McGrath decision is copping so much heat when you only have to go back one draft and see the Parish, Francis, Morgan picks that have really set the list back.

I wouldn't hold the McGrath pick against him at all. Neither the Francis pick, I think he could've been a player barring the injuries.

I am quite critical of the Parish pick though, deserves some heat for that imo.

All 3 plus Saad are in our top 10 players so they were and are good pick ups. It's not like Cripps Danger or Dusty were available and we went with Shiel instead.

Dodo did well to land Saad, Smith & Stringer for the trade price he did.

Landing Shiel was big, even if he did cost a fair bit (i know Dodo got overruled on that one).

Still, ideally he would have been able to land a big bodied inside mid or a key forward in the last 5 years as they are much bigger needs. Sure, maybe there weren't any as readily available as the players above, but surely Essendon has the ability to pry one out from somewhere with the right offer.

Must be reading a different thread to the one I was during the Shiel and Congillio trade periods.

No, you're probably reading the right thread.

More likely I'd suggest is that you don't know which posters to take note of, and which to ignore. Which is understandable given you're a casual observer at best.

Even the best get things wrong. Some have plenty of credits in the bank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't hold the McGrath pick against him at all. Neither the Francis pick, I think he could've been a player barring the injuries.

I am quite critical of the Parish pick though, deserves some heat for that imo.
Why? What mistakes did he make with the Parish pick? Parish was rated the best midfielder for most of 2015 by many pundits and recruiters, only for Clayton Oliver to become the late bolter.

Actually i could see Essendon goign w
I roll my eyes now whenever i read/hear that player x 'has the potential to become a midfielder in time'.

Honestly how often does a guy who played mostly other positions like flanker in juniors become a gun AFL mid? I'd say it's a very, very small percentage.

A few recent examples would be Billings & Petracca. Both played mainly half forward type roles, but were said to be able to transition to midfielders. Well it's been long enough that we can safely say they'll never become full-time gun AFL mids...at best they still only pinch-hit in the midfield. I feel most flankers just don't have that 'midfield nous' to become AFL guns with the two-way running and 360 degrees nature of it...plus many don't have the endurance.

Also if you look at the top 30 mids in the comp, my guess is that all of them, except maybe only a few, were elite mids in their junior careers.

If you need a gun mid in your AFL team, just draft a gun junior mid...

Absolutely and it gets back to basic jnr footy principal that the best players always played midfield.. So if they were not playing midfield as a junior you really have to question how good they actually are.

Landing Shiel was big, even if he did cost a fair bit (i know Dodo got overruled on that one).

Still, ideally he would have been able to land a big bodied inside mid or a key forward in the last 5 years as they are much bigger needs. Sure, maybe there weren't any as readily available as the players above, but surely Essendon has the ability to pry one out from somewhere with the right offer.

How long has KPF been a big need for the club in the last 5 years?

I still think this whole Essendon need an inside midfielder thing is blown way out of whack. Essendon need more midfield talent. I’d take any of Whitfield, B.Hill, Gaff over any of Wines, Crouch brothers.

You are right on this.. Parish & Francis at draft picks 5 & 6 is horrendous.. Hopper went after them but besides Charlie Curnow and Harry Mckay there is not a lot going after them in what looks a pretty lean draft year.

Unfortunately for McGrath he will always be compared to Taranto & McCluggage who were picked right after him...and for now they are doing better which is why the decision cops heat. But obviously McGrath was a consensus for being pick 1-2 region so can't blame Dodo for that. Plus McGrath might improve a lot over the years.

Parish & Francis picks have definitely set Essendon back instead of propelling them forward as you'd hope for picks 5 & 6 in the same draft. By now they should be key contributors to the team, but are still only fringe players. Both had question marks leading into the draft and those question marks remain and seem to be key reasons why neither have made it at AFL level yet.

And as others have mentioned, not drafting/trading in a highly rated inside mid for how many years now is pretty mind boggling. Not sure why he persists with the 'turn flankers into mids' thing. Also i feel Essendon should have drafted/traded in another key forward in the last few years when you look at the list balance. Someone to support Danniher, but also back up due to his injuries. Essendon only had OK support with the likes of Brown & McKernan who were cheap pick ups...when's the last time they used an early pick on a key forward or were seriously linked to trading for one (not including recent rumours of Cameron)?

I suppose Stringer was supposed to be that backup for Daniher, but then as soon as he got to the club in typical Essendon style all that was talked about Stringer was turning him into a midfielder.

You are right on this.. Parish & Francis at draft picks 5 & 6 is horrendous.. Hopper went after them but besides Charlie Curnow and Harry Mckay there is not a lot going after them in what looks a pretty lean draft year.

I’m more pissed about the Morgan pick tbh. Essendon been fairly good at selecting talent in the 20s over the years and we decided to draft a bloke with bad hamstrings and motivation issues.

Parish is the one I’m not too annoyed at. It’s fairly well known we wanted Oliver and Parish was the next best pure mid available by a considerable margin. He also isn’t a bad footballer he’s a just weird mix of attributes. Good pace, poor kick, great hands inside, poor body size.

Francis just doesn’t make sense with modern footy being so aerobic and him having a poor tank/poor training standards.

I am certain there was a fair bit of Ego... beating Carlton to Shiel which made the Bombers pay up big for him.. In saying that I was devastated when we missed him, I would have happily given up pick 1 (sam Walsh :eek:) .. and still think Shiel can be one of the premier mids in the comp with the right midfield set up around him.

Parish is the one I'm bullish on TBH. He's a midfielder who's been shoved into a flanker and still average 20 touches a game over his career. And his disposal is fairly good.

Putting him into the middle and letting his natural game take over should see his impact increase. But the issue is if he starts averaging 25/26 touches a game is that good enough for a pick 5/6?

I dunno, I'd say yes based on the rest of the draft class but I can also understand why some would say no.

I’m more pissed about the Morgan pick tbh. Essendon been fairly good at selecting talent in the 20s over the years and we decided to draft a bloke with bad hamstrings and motivation issues.

Parish is the one I’m not too annoyed at. It’s fairly well known we wanted Oliver and Parish was the next best pure mid available by a considerable margin. He also isn’t a bad footballer he’s a just weird mix of attributes. Good pace, poor kick, great hands inside, poor body size.

Francis just doesn’t make sense with modern footy being so aerobic and him having a poor tank/poor training standards.
TBH I dont know enough about Morgan to form an opinion, but wont be the first club to miss on a pick in the 20s.. Also when you have picks 5 & 6, I reckon you have a bit of a licence to take a risk with your next selection expecting the early picks to come good.

TBH I dont know enough about Morgan to form an opinion, but wont be the first club to miss on a pick in the 20s.. Also when you have picks 5 & 6, I reckon you have a bit of a licence to take a risk with your next selection expecting the early picks to come good.

I would of thought Francis was enough of a risk. A positionless player with a bad tank who has the upside of having dominated all over the ground at champs

I would of thought Francis was enough of a risk. A positionless player with a bad tank who has the upside of having dominated all over the ground at champs
While I agree Francis isn't currently the player Dodoro told us he'd be. I think his lack of development does come from his offield issues in the first couple of years.

And tbh can't say I blame Aaron for lacking motivation and interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back