AFL Grand Final AFL 2021 GRAND FINAL - Demons v Dogs Sat September 25th 7:15pm EST / 5:15pm WST (Optus) Congratulations Demons! 🍾🏆 Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 132 36.4%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 108 29.8%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 50 13.8%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 33 9.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 9 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate of mines is a WA dees supporter and he missed out, was cat 3(?), he's losing his sh*t on Facebook right now.
He had up until last Monday to upgrade his memberships for a guaranteed ticket, cost about an extra $230. I did it as a neutral supporter if I was a diehard fan, zero chance I wasn’t guaranteeing myself a prio 1 ticket.

Round 1 v Freo was a horrible game

I remember stoked we won but realistically thought it would be a long year as both teams were comical at times

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
The crowd was booing the team during the fourth quarter when we were 20 points up. It was the most Melbourne crowd I think I’ve ever seen

made a quick spreadsheet to compare the two games, some clear trends are noticeable.

Dogs won clearances in both games, R9 +9, R19 +3.
However, of these, Dees won center clearances both times (+2, +3) while dogs won stoppages (+11. +6)

we saw how damaging both sides could be generating scores from these areas, so you can bet the Dees will focus on stoppages big time in an effort to even that out.

For interest sake in the PFs Dees went -4 (LOL) to the dogs +9, so bizarrely, winning clearances are not as crucial to the dees as you would expect.

Dogs won inside 50s in both games (+6, +4).
R9 dees conversion (scoring shots/inside 50s) was 47.8% to the dogs 36.5%.
R19 dees went 39.2% to the dogs 36.4%.
Dees dropped significantly, Dogs remained stable. Obviously both will want to improve this, especially the Dogs.

For interest sake in the PFs Dees went 54.5% to the dogs 59% - obviously both ridiculously high and unlikely to be repeated in the GF. Dees with some upside here with this small sample size, but a sign both def are strong.

Accuracy (goals/scoring shots) saw a wild swing between games.
R9 dees 59% to 42.1% dogs.
R19 dees 45% to dogs 65%

This will be a huge factor in deciding this game, without taking a deep dive this is the most glaring area that lead to either sides win (on paper).

For interest sake in the PFs Dees went 63% to the dogs 55%.

Disposals:
Un Cont = WB R9 (+73) R19 (+16)
Cont = Dees R9 (+18) R19 (+23)

anyway thats a blurry water colour overview.
Pick apart, and would love to see a deeper dive (goals from set shots, set shot conv, intercept marks, goals from turnover, goals from stoppage)

I'd say your accuracy in the first game was mainly from us handing you the ball on a platter from turnovers out of the backline. We really ****ed up that first game.

Weirdly, we've played the Demons twice this year but Stef Martin, Adam Treloar and Josh Dunkley are yet to face them.
Sweet was absolutely murdered by Gawn the first game, English destroyed by Gawn the second game.

Stef should fare better against Gawn however he's not fully fit and only managed 68% TOG in the prelim, meaning English will have to spend a decent amount of time in the ruck. Timmy normally does well against the second ruck but Luke Jackson is a different beast alltogether, easily the best second ruck in the competition.

Macrae has been our best both games - averaging 37 disposals and 8 tackles over the games

Weirdly, we've played the Demons twice this year but Stef Martin, Adam Treloar and Josh Dunkley are yet to face them.
Sweet was absolutely murdered by Gawn the first game, English destroyed by Gawn the second game.

Stef should fare better against Gawn however he's not fully fit and only managed 68% TOG in the prelim, meaning English will have to spend a decent amount of time in the ruck. Timmy normally does well against the second ruck but Luke Jackson is a different beast alltogether, easily the best second ruck in the competition.

Macrae has been our best both games - averaging 37 disposals and 8 tackles over the games
English did ok in the second game but the rain helped.

There are arguments either way for who benefits most from the lead up (which probably tells you it’s pretty even).

Dogs have had a tough run and now get to rest, whereas Melbourne have had a soft run since the qualifying final and two breaks.

Then again, Melbourne get an extra week out of quarantine and played this oval recently.

The good news is both sides go in close to full strength because of the break. No excuses. Hope it’s a cracker (but with us ending up on the right side, and not with the result in doubt until the dying seconds).

Yes he has, director of football so he's there and ready. It has to be him, if needed. Played a role in bringing Beveridge to the club a few years back, and is an absolute club great.

A few years ago, I won a book here on BF called, The Phoenix Rises, it's about Ross Oakely, it came with a bookmark that is based on the Up Yours, bumper sticker the was around at the time of what looked like Footscray's demise.

I was living residential in an outback mining town in WA at the time I won the book. I took it up to camp with me on a Sunday night, ready to start work Monday morning. After I'd knocked off on the Monday, I was sitting in the mess eating dinner, when I looked out the front windows and saw a silhouette behind the tinted windows, which as a footy fan could have only been on person, Chris Grant. I finished my meal, went back to my room, had a shower, got dressed, grabbed the book and walked back down to see if he was still there, he was. I had a chat with him for about half an hour, he signed the Up Yours Oakley bookmark and we parted company.

What an absolute fluke for him to be there, 3,500km from Melbourne in the middle of bum * nowhere the day that I took the book up to camp to read it. I still have it and the bookmark and still haven't read it.

It turns out he was working for Spotless who had the contract to run our camp.

Last edited:
There are arguments either way for who benefits most from the lead up (which probably tells you it’s pretty even).

Dogs have had a tough run and now get to rest, whereas Melbourne have had a soft run since the qualifying final and two breaks.

Then again, Melbourne get an extra week out of quarantine and played this oval recently.

The good news is both sides go in close to full strength because of the break. No excuses. Hope it’s a cracker (but with us ending up on the right side, and not with the result in doubt until the dying seconds).
Exactly. Whatever happens there are no excuses. It’s the best two teams of the year, both almost full strength. Neutral ground. Best team on the day will get the choccies, and the runners up will bust a gut over summer to reverse the result

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never heard of a Bigfooty dude who wasn’t adverse to polishing their own halo…
Pfft, I spent most of my teens doing that well before I'd even heard of BigFooty

A few years ago, I won a book here on BF called, The Phoenix Rises, it's about Ross Oakely, it came with a bookmark that is based on the Up Yours, bumper sticker the was around at the time of what looked like Footscray's demise.

I was living residential in an outback mining town in WA at the time I won the book. I took it up to camp with me on a Sunday night, ready to start work Monday morning. After I'd knocked off on the Monday, I was sitting in the mess eating dinner, when I looked out the front windows and saw a silhouette behind the tinted windows, which as a footy fan could have only been on person, Chris Grant. I finished my meal, went back to my room, had a shower, got dressed, grabbed the book and walked back down to see if he was still there, he was. I had a chat with him for about half an hour, he signed the Up Yours Oakley bookmark and we parted company.

What an absolute fluke for him to be there, 3,500km from Melbourne in the middle of bum fu** nowhere the day that I took the book up to camp to read it. I still have it and the bookmark and still haven't read it.

It turns out he was working for Spotless who had the contract to run our camp.
That's awesome, cool story. Have had the pleasure of chatting with him a few times myself, what a top bloke he is. Was far and away my childhood idol.

The dogs have just confirmed he will present the cup if we win the big one. Great choice.

I think it should be a cracking game. Unfortunately, I've thought that on a number of occasions in the lead-up to recent Grand Finals, and the match itself has disappointed. But it's hard to remember two GF participants in recent memory that play a collectively more attractive brand of football than these two teams.

Melbourne have played as well as I've seen a team play in a long, long time in this finals series. If they have the composure to execute on GF day, I think they will win.

Clearances will be an interesting one, Stef Martin did pretty well against Lycett but he's a class or two below Gawn.
Melbourne's midfield bats deeper than Port's too.
In the past Stef has always matched up well on Gawn. There has never been a decisive winner between them so having a nil all draw once again would be a victory for you guys. Having said that I'm not sure how match fit Martin will be plus Gawn will have Jackson backing him up this time.

Won't attend the game, but weather permitting, have the day mapped out.
Will set out to Optus about 15.00 (approx a 45 minute walk) and spend round about an hour soaking everything up.
Watching everybody walk in and all the kids enjoying the playgrounds. And the Camfield should be heaving.
Listen to the National anthem, then walk to the East Perth station for the train trip home while listening to the call on my ancient "transistor".
Get home in time for the second quarter (taped the first).
Should be an epic encounter.
Have a feeling the Dogs are on a mission though.
PS weather Gods.
Just be kind. September can be capricious.

In the past Stef has always matched up well on Gawn. There has never been a decisive winner between them so having a nil all draw once again would be a victory for you guys. Having said that I'm not sure how match fit Martin will be plus Gawn will have Jackson backing him up this time.
Martin was way better than I thought he might be after a long layoff, but he made some mistakes and it’ll be interesting how he goes. Hard to tell if he’d be better off backing it up a week later or if the break helps.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he went all out and was subbed in the third quarter, leaving English to finish the game solo. English was ok last time but was then appalling the next few weeks.

Is the Grand Final on Saturday or is there a week off before it.

Seem really stupid for Grand Final not to be this weekend.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

No point getting bitter and twisted and responding to half baked analysis from people who don't know any more than me.
All I'll say is this. The Bulldogs are a tough opponent and a worthy grand finalist but the Dees are well equipped to knock them over. We have great players in form as do the dogs. Whatever happens, the Dees are not just going to roll over and die like they might have done in the past when put under a bit of heat.
Our backline and team defence gets us over the line............... I hope

Back