Review AFL 2nd Elimination Final - Fremantle defeats Geelong by 16 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm fuming because we really could have won that if the effort was there. Credit where credit is due Freo were amazing, but the difference was that they were more desperate early on while we believed we already had win and didn't try hard enough. So many times we've had crap first halfs, came back and but still gone down. We were completely outplayed for way too long as well as outcoached.

Enough of blaming the umpires. Blame rests firmly on the players, for the poor start, and coaches for being totally outcoached and not having a plan B.

I won't blame the umpires for our loss, but there is nothing more ******* aggravating than seeing a player cop blatant head high content in front of goal up our end for it not to be paid, then have the ball go up there end and have the EXACT SAME THING happen and it is paid.

The win can entirely be attributed to Ross Lyon. Freo were reminiscent of St Kilda 2009. Very disciplined performance and the way they flooded our forward 50 means Hawkins and Pods couldn't get any one on one opportunities. At the other end, that was all Pavlich got. Why we weren't trying to drop someone back in front of him, I have no idea.

I'm disappointed to lose but losing a prelim to Hawthorn would have hurt more. Will be weird having the rest of September free.

****KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

seriously though, play like we did in that first quarter and you don't deserve to win.

Bay13 is brutal ATM, but we can hold our heads high guys. 3 Premierships in 5 years, the players were obviously spent and the older guys just didn't have it in them to go again.

Bring on 2013, bring back Varcoe and Menzel :D

That's the past. The more that is invoked as some sort of permanent excuse for losing NOW, the more likely another 44 year drought is on the way.

Bay13 should be brutal, plenty of fans made very arrogant assumptions and are yet again (after 2008 and 2010 as harsh recent evidence) finding out you can't take any team for granted. No doubt this will be forgotten again by Round 1. When we'll no doubt lose, but it won't matter because we'll be peaking in September.

The win can entirely be attributed to Ross Lyon. Freo were reminiscent of St Kilda 2009. Very disciplined performance and the way they flooded our forward 50 means Hawkins and Pods couldn't get any one on one opportunities. At the other end, that was all Pavlich got. Why we weren't trying to drop someone back in front of him, I have no idea.

I'm disappointed to lose but losing a prelim to Hawthorn would have hurt more. Will be weird having the rest of September free.
Agreed... Kepler Bradley spoilt everything... Kepler who? just not our night...

GO Catters

Going to be a boring finals now. Fremantle got lucky today. Hawthorn will prob win the Grand Final now. We were the only team who could stop them.

Exactly what Hawks fans said in 2007. Not our fault if you're not good enough to make it.

That's the past. The more that is invoked as some sort of permanent excuse for losing NOW, the more likely another 44 year drought is on the way.

Bay13 should be brutal, plenty of fans made very arrogant assumptions and are yet again (after 2008 and 2010 as harsh recent evidence) finding out you can't take any team for granted. No doubt this will be forgotten again by Round 1. When we'll no doubt lose, but it won't matter because we'll be peaking in September.

Yes it is the past, but what's so bad about it? I look back on it as great success. I think we can all agree the era is over, and it's time to re-build and start a new one. We won't go another 44-years of not winning another premiership, we are in good hands, we were terrible tonight but we will recover.

The game summarised Geelong's year to a tee. The Bad Geelong was playing up until 5 minutes before half time. The Good Geelong came out at half time and had a crack. But we were never going to recover from such a bad start. Not in a final. Well deserved win by Freo and congrats to them. I hope they make the prelim and give Hawthorn a real scare. Great coaching by Ross Lyon.

My only whinge was I thought we got killed by a couple of umpiring decisions that were wrong. But that doesn't take away from the game played by Pav and his mates. Just too good for us tonight!

Lots of navel gazing here, blaming players, coaches, umpires....( yes, we were not on the right side of the 50/50's..the Motlop non-call was crucial.)

but frankly its time to give the opposition some credit.

Pavlich kicked 6 straight and Hawkins zero.....if we had known that before the game the result would have been obvious!...but!...more to the point.. they were top drawer in the first half in particular, absolutely top drawer, and had some composure later on when the Cats started to get close.

And credit to Pavlich...he was magnificent.

Freo supporters demanded respect and didnt get it. Tonight, Freo earned their respect. They were very very good.

Freo were excellent and pav finally stood up in a big game, why did it have to be against us!

We just didn't show up in the first quarter, thought it was crap how their extra man was allowed to shepherd our forwards way off the ball.

End of the day we had set ourselves up for a match like this by being very Hawkins centric.

Prob struggle to make finals next year but boy has t been a great ride.

Exactly what Hawks fans said in 2007. Not our fault if you're not good enough to make it.

I think Geelong fans need to stop saying things like, "We are the only team to stop Hawthorn" etc. Fact is we couldn't beat Freo at the MCG. It may be like 2007 where the Hawks win the premiership with ease, but well done to them, they have been the best team this year, we have been up and down and deserved to finish 6th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously the 1st quarter was atrocious, and we were required to push the proverbial uphill for the rest of the game.

Also for me the period late in the 3rd quarter where Freo kicked a few goals to stretch the margin back out to 38 points was crucial. We needed to be within 3 or 4 goals at that last break to be a realistic chance.

Credit for fighting the game out and still looking a chance to snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat when Josh Hunt kicked his goal just into time on. Not to be.

Sad way for Matty Scarlett to bow out if it's to be his last game.

* off. You weren't good enough to even make finals in '09 and you couldn't make the GF in 2011 either. 2012 will be the most undeserved premiership in history if the Hawks win it and biggest choke if they don't. The competition has fallen down for them.

Don't worry, we wanted to play you in last year's GF. Not our fault you gave up a 3 goal three quarter time lead in the prelim.

Pull your head in. If 3 flags in 5 years aren't enough to make you feel better about a finals loss then I don't know what to tell you.

We arent entitled to win the flag every year. It ain't gonna happen. Just enjoy the fact that we didn't roll over this year like Brisbane did in 2005 or hawthorn in 2009. Winning 15 games this year was an amazing effort, tonight's loss doesn't change that.

So we end the season as we began, being well beaten by Freo. So disappointed.

We have got to stop opposition teams getting the jump on us! Story of our season.

Pull your head in. If 3 flags in 5 years aren't enough to make you feel better about a finals loss then I don't know what to tell you.

We arent entitled to win the flag every year. It ain't gonna happen. Just enjoy the fact that we didn't roll over this year like Brisbane did in 2005 or hawthorn in 2009. Winning 15 games this year was an amazing effort, tonight's loss doesn't change that.

I just think the really frustrating thing about this year is that at times, we still looked good enough. We beat Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn on the run into the finals and when we got going tonight, we had really good moments as well.

It's just those slow starts and lapses which kept costing us, early in the season and tonight.

It'd be a lot easier to swallow being taken apart by M Pavlich (who remains chronically underrated) if Hayden Ballentine wasn't his sidekick.

Was fuming during the game, but ultimately that's where we're at. I disagree it was a missed opportunity - giving up a big lead was par for the course this season and every attempted comeback was snuffed out by Freo just being harder and cleaner. We played some extraordinarily dumb football at times and the gameplan was exploited perfectly. If there's a silver lining it's that Vardy played well - has got a definite future.

The win can entirely be attributed to Ross Lyon. Freo were reminiscent of St Kilda 2009..

And like '09 it wont end in silverware ;) No, Im not bitter but I cant stand Ross Lyin' I'll be honest.

End of the day, we bow out early but this group has achieved over and above anything we couldve expected. Teams like Freo have it all in front of them. Perhaps that really was the difference. I refuse to give Ross Lyon too much credit, if he coached St Kilda properly they'd have won a premiership.

Ye
**** off. You weren't good enough to even make finals in '09 and you couldn't make the GF in 2011 either. 2012 will be the most undeserved premiership in history if the Hawks win it and biggest choke if they don't. The competition has fallen down for them.
Yep but it won't stop those fkrs gloating if it happens. HATE THEM WITH A PASSION!!!

The pressure killed us and we didnt have enough contributors to get a win. Have to find a way to both handle the pressure and for players to get into the game when its needed.

Go to hell. You support your way and I'll support mine. Nothing makes me feel good about a finals loss. Especially losing to them.

Of course we're not going to win the flag every year. I didn't expect them to win the flag this year. But I did expect them to actually turn up in the first quarter of a knockout final. Especially when the club has been telling us - all year long - that they were priming themselves for September and finals.

The test for that was tonight, and they failed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back