Scandal AFL accused of exploitation after dancers asked to perform for free at grand final

Remove this Banner Ad

Johnny Bananas

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2010
A sugar refinery
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Am organisation the size of the AFL expecting free labour is idiotic. If you're putting on one of the nation's biggest annual events, you can afford to use professional entertainers and pay them for it. And if not, why bother having them at all?

Jimpson

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
I think it's a bit overblown. They're not looking for professionals they're just looking for school kids who would probably jump at the chance to perform on a big stage like that. Similar to the ball boys/girls at the Australia Open who (I believe, unless it changed recently) don't get paid.

GoalSneak38

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Am organisation the size of the AFL expecting free labour is idiotic. If you're putting on one of the nation's biggest annual events, you can afford to use professional entertainers and pay them for it. And if not, why bother having them at all?
I've asked the ladies at Kittens for a free dance plenty of times. I don't see the issue

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
I think it's a bit overblown. They're not looking for professionals they're just looking for school kids who would probably jump at the chance to perform on a big stage like that. Similar to the ball boys/girls at the Australia Open who (I believe, unless it changed recently) don't get paid.

Agree - it's a beat up. Give the kids a pie and a can of coke and they will be stoked.

Johnny Bananas

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2010
A sugar refinery
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why would you put on a grand entertainment spectacle with millions watching and use substandard entertainment? Do they use bands composed of high school kids for music performances?

Jimpson

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Why would you put on a grand entertainment spectacle with millions watching and use substandard entertainment? Do they use bands composed of high school kids for music performances?
Probably because they don't need professionals to carry a giant Richmond flag onto the ground. They're not looking for halftime entertainment, they're looking for people in minor roles.

Johnny Bananas

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2010
A sugar refinery
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Probably because they don't need professionals to carry a giant Richmond flag onto the ground. They're not looking for halftime entertainment, they're looking for people in minor roles.
You don't need any sort of dancer to carry a flag, just regular kids. They are specifically looking for people with dance training.

Ricky112

Senior List
Aug 29, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you can't afford to pay the entertainers then don't have pre-game entertainment.

This is pure exploitation. Aren't there laws to protect people against predatory organisations that operate like this?

It's pathetic of Gil.

WA were offering $50 million to host the finals.

I'm sure with $50 million the AFL could have afforded to pay for entertainment.

But they chose to sacrifice tens of millions of dollars (and 20% of their workforce) in order to host the finals in Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ep2018

Bigfooty Pessimist
Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
If you can't afford to pay the entertainers then don't have pre-game entertainment.

This is pure exploitation. Aren't there laws to protect people against predatory organisations that operate like this?

It's pathetic of Gil.

But they chose to sacrifice tens of millions of dollars (and 20% of their workforce) in order to host the finals in Brisbane.
IIRC we offered a parade as well and a number of big Perth acts were keen on performing (Tame Impala, etc).

burge13

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
WA should never have got it due to their stupidity over borders throughout.
That said, who cares about HT entertainment. Does anyone watch this? Get Meatloaf back and have a laugh

I see they're thawing out the old boy for Up There Cazaly for the 47th time. Just don't bother...

Herne Hill Hammer

Premium Platinum
Jun 22, 2008
Cowes
AFL Club
Geelong

It's pathetic of Gil.

They get free entry to the gf, an event where tickets will be at an absolute premium.

Hard Ball Get

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My first grand final was 2002, Collingwood Vs Brisbane. I was a year 12 student and went on the ground for the pre match - waving some banner while trying to get a glimpse at the lead singer of killing Heidi.

All done and sitting in my seat right behind the goals (perfect direct line to Rocca's goal that was called a point) for the first bounce. It was awesome. There'd be a ton of kids that would do it for free, just for the excitement and possibility of catching some action.

Bazzas Lovechild

All Australian
Apr 18, 2010
Hiding in a bush
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My first grand final was 2002, Collingwood Vs Brisbane. I was a year 12 student and went on the ground for the pre match - waving some banner while trying to get a glimpse at the lead singer of killing Heidi.

All done and sitting in my seat right behind the goals (perfect direct line to Rocca's goal that was called a point) for the first bounce. It was awesome. There'd be a ton of kids that would do it for free, just for the excitement and possibility of catching some action.
Killing Heidi were good. Weir...great track.

I always assumed you were a little bit older Hard Ball...somewhere near my vintage!