Game Day AFL Grand Final - Matchday Discussion Collingwood v West Coast (MCG – 2:30PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a while since posting but thought the occasion was worth it.

I’m conflicted, I think I am more in love with the story of Collingwood’s year than the players themselves. Unlike 2010 when I was fanboying each and every player, this year is different... I hardly know Mihocek and Stephenson, Cox has been on the nose for the majority of his career, Sier has quickly become a cult hero after I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid if he wasn’t on the list at the end of the year. Mayne, is Mayne. Aish I actually really liked but he just wasn’t turning up consistently, JT has other question marks, Greenwood would always just be a slow tagger to me.

So, the above writes an amazing story for Collingwood today, win or lose. Lose, I’m proud of the Club for just making it there, happy that Collingwood is not a Melbourne, Richmond, Carlton who will throw the baby out with the bath water after a tough stretch. We stuck it out with coach and board to make the right decisions and settle the ship. Credit to Richmond who also did in 2016 when Peggy stood firm in the face of adversity. In the prior 20 years though it was another story. So, like Peggy, our President and the board deserve all the plaudits they receive. It’s been a ride filled with ridicule from the first day of the 2012 season, but a life lesson has been learnt to stick fat and stay the course.

If we win, well... I don’t know how I will be able to reconcile the year against any other in my 30 year life. How in the hell?

It goes back to 2013 when I had the great pleasure of joining a private lunch with Derek Hine to discuss all things Collingwood list management with 10 other Collingwood tragics. It wasn’t long after the 2013 draft.
Hine was so excited about our prospects, our team balance and our depth of talent. He rated Jamie as the most talented player of the draft behind Patton, he would have taken him pick 2. Nathan Brown and Ben Reid were tthe past, present and future of our backline. Scharenberg was elite in every aspect and although he preferred Salem, Freeman was just as crucial to our future plans.
Jarrod Witts was a top 5 ever ruck prospect, such was the regard for him. Grundy was seen as backup.
Cloke was one of our most durable players and winning a premiership with him and Pendlebury in the team was extremely important.
It all came tumbling down from then onwards. Hine’s most important list pieces fell one after the other.
Since then I’ve never spoken to him but what must he have been thinking went wrong when his list was being torn apart year after year through injury, trade and lack of development.
Then the Bulldogs flipped the game on its head, followed by Richmond. Small forwards were in!
But what the hell was Collingwood going to do this year? Small forwards...we always struggled to find good small forwards... we struggled to find good forwards full stop.

It could be an ok year I thought, make the finals and I’ll be happy.

Enter Stephenson, Hoskin Elliott, JT, De Goey. Who would have thought they’d rotate each week banging through 4-5 goals each to snatch victory via the most unlikely of sources. It’s like each one of them would have turns at putting on Daicos’ boots for the game and snap 3,4,5,6 goals to win it for us.
The backline was shot to s**t. We had a 30 year old ex-Demon leading a backline which collectively had probably played less than 10 games together... No Brown, no Reid, no Goldsack, an undercooked Scharenberg. But remember small forwards are in vogue and it played into our hands very nicely. Our backline whilst we lacked elite talent and talls, was perfectly suited to tackle the Toby Greene’s, the Rioli’s and the Stringer’s of the world. This make shift backline being led by he most maligned player on this board, Tom Langdon, is just an absolute beauty and credit goes to each and every guy in the backline team for working together, along with the coaches for creating a system that allows them to play taller and bigger than they are.

Since that lunch the likes on Beams, Swan, Thomas had left our midfield. A trio of Collingwood’s absolute elite talent over the past 20 years. This is why the story of Pendlebury and Sidebottom are as great and anyone else’s this season. The two smooth movers, our most skilled players, have made it to their third Grand Final at the club they love. Pendlebury since being handed the reins has been through a pretty average patch of team football, but he remained elite and with little doubt will go down as one of our greatest ever players if we win today. Sidebottom is this enigma who everybody in football loves. No one can hate him because he’s always smiling, always happy and is just a bloody amazing player to watch play. But it’s these two guys who will hold a special place in Collingwood’s history. Nothing is ever too hard, no game too fierce, for them to not come out on top. I absolutely love these two blokes.

I could go on about the stories of Goldsack, Varcoe, Cox, Mayne, Thomas, Mihocek, Grundy all day but it would take me literally all day.

My thoughts on game day:
Accountability is the key to winning this game. If we focus on the game as a whole and not get flustered by a few Kennedy goals here and there, focus on kicking straight, focus on hunting the ball, hitting hard and leaving it all on the turf at the end of the game then we’ll put in one hell of a fight.

I hope you all have a bloody fantastic day!

May injury nor the umpires play any part in the result of today’s game. Floreat Pica, may the Magpie flourish.

GO PIES!!!

I’m so nervous about this game, but also very satisfied just being in the GF. This team has exceeded expectations and outdone themselves this year

At the beginning of the finals I thought we’d lose straight sets. And I also have to admit I wanted Bucks sacked.

I really hope we turn up again and prove why we are the best club in Australia
As I said in more detail last night in the 'excuses' thread, only a win will suffice today. Anything less is failure and disappointment. Sure we can be proud of the efforts of the boys this year, but that won't help us come to terms with losing a grand final. Now that we are in the granny, we have to win it. I am hoping that we jump WC like we did the Tigers last week and have them playing catch up footy for the rest of the game. Good luck folks!

Should I iron and wear a white shirt to the game.. pointless idea considering it'll be covered in booze and spit and all sorts of s**t

Might go with a black shirt. F it re!
Would have thought the weather might be be just a bit too cold to prance about with just a shirt on top. If you are suitably dressed, no one will notice your shirt underneath layers of winter woolies or padded coat.

Hey mods.
Is there an auto like button.
I just want to like every bloody thing that my fellow brothers and sisters post.
God I hope the dancing girl gif comes out at around about 5pm.

I should be going to bed but I'm a bloody mess and can't sleep.
This is when I hate the time zone difference.
I want to be here sharing and listening to everyones thoughts and feelings but I know I have to go to sleep at some stage.

Faaaaark I'm so bloody nervous.
There can’t be an auto line because that avatarless WalterBlaknWhte will go on a like spree

The best couple in footy Otto and Walt err Ben

Grand Final Football Day

Steve-Carell-Clap-Wow.gif

This. I'm so mentally under-prepared for this GF. With 2010 I had years of prep and anticipation leading up to it. Hope the club doesn't think like me.:oops:
It's probably a good thing if the players are under-prepared mentally. It may mean less anxiety. Just roll with it!

OK. I have gone into serious schitting myself nervous mode.
Trying to be positive but we are so good at losing these things that I am finding it hard to stay positive.
Game starts at 7.30am my time so I can't even have a beer before the game to calm my nerves.

Please win. Please please please win.

Yea 7.30am is a bit early for a beer, but on the other hand raki is a breakfast spirit:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feeling a bit emotional and teary this morning.

To our beloved and storied club - we have some history to make today.

Mum was emotional yesterday after the parade, she’s born in collingwood, it’s so much more to her than game, the team brings back childhood memories for her.

Mum was emotional yesterday after the parade, she’s born in collingwood, it’s so much more to her than game, the team brings back childhood memories for her.

Me too, but mostly for my family. I was born in Abbotsford, but we moved when I was a toddler.

Yep dad was the same - born in Glasgow but arrived here at age 5, apprenticed at 12yo into the boot trade and worked for Julius Marlow shoes in Clifton Hill.

Like most of his mates Collingwood was a central part of his life, never missed a training session and took a thermos and cut lunch to work Saturday morning in his Gladstone bag.

Knock off work at around 11am and then straight down to Victoria park to watch the Under 18's go through their paces.

CAAARRNNAAA PIES!!!!

Yep dad was the same - born in Glasgow but arrived here at age 5, apprenticed at 12yo into the boot trade and worked for Julius Marlow shoes in Clifton Hill.

Like most of his mates Collingwood was a central part of his life, never missed a training session and took a thermos and cut lunch to work Saturday morning in his Gladstone bag.

Knock off work at around 11am and then straight down to Victoria park to watch the Under 18's go through their paces.

CAAARRNNAAA PIES!!!!

Mum was telling me yesterday about how poor they were, they were sharing a house with another family to cover the rent.

On a Saturday my grandparents would be working a shift in the local factories so all the kids would take themselves off to the game, mum was little so the drunks in the outer would stack their slabs of beer to give her a viewing platform. Then on a Monday all the kids would wear their collingwood gear to school, much of it hand knitted.

But even though they were poor they were happy, and a large part of that was because of the club and the sense of community it fostered.

Nervous as all *. Luckily there is a solution...

DbyYbhsX0AE1o3T.jpg

Mum was telling me yesterday about how poor they were, they were sharing a house with another family to cover the rent.

On a Saturday my grandparents would be working a shift in the local factories so all the kids would take themselves off to the game, mum was little so the drunks in the outer would stack their slabs of beer to give her a viewing platform. Then on a Monday all the kids would wear their collingwood gear to school, much of it hand knitted.

But even though they were poor they were happy, and a large part of that was because of the club and the sense of community it fostered.
So true on poverty and happiness, dad was the eldest of 15 kids and I'm youngest of 11.

For many young men the club represented one of the few chances to escape grinding poverty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back