NAB AFLW Round Four – Updated Fixture

Thursday, January 27STADIUM (NETWORK)AEDTLOCAL
Collingwood vs. FremantleVictoria Park (VIC) (Foxtel)5:40pm5:40pm
Friday, January 28
GWS GIANTS vs. Western BulldogsHenson Park (NSW) (Foxtel)5:10pm5:10pm
St. Kilda vs. West Coast EaglesSkyBus Stadium (VIC) (Foxtel)7:10pm7:10pm
Saturday, January 29
Adelaide Crows vs. MelbourneNorwood Oval (SA) (Seven)3:10pm2:40pm
Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong CatsMaroochydore Multi Sports Complex (QLD) (Foxtel)5:10pm4:10pm
Sunday, January 30
Carlton vs. KangaroosIkon Park (VIC) (Seven)3:10pm3:10pm
Gold Coast SUNS vs. RichmondMetricon Stadium (QLD) (Foxtel)5:10pm4:10pm
Additional Matches*
Tuesday, February 1STADIUM (NETWORK)AEDTLOCAL
Collingwood vs. West Coast EaglesVictoria Park (VIC) (Foxtel)5:10pm5:10pm
Western Bulldogs vs. FremantleWhitten Oval (VIC) (Foxtel)7:10pm7:10pm

The scheduled Round Six match between Collingwood and the West Coast Eagles and the scheduled Round 10 match between the Western Bulldogs and Fremantle will be played on Tuesday, February 1.

AFL General Manager Competition Management Laura Kane said while the ongoing pandemic continues to impact the 2022 NAB AFL Women’s Competition, the AFL remains committed to delivering a full season in a safe manner anchored in the advice of respective governments and public health officials.

“We remain committed to completing the season and awarding a Premier and the updates to the fixture aim to provide the competition with greater flexibility as we progress the season,” Ms. Kane said.

“The decision to schedule additional matches to the fixture for Fremantle and the West Coast Eagles was made in close consultation and with strong support from each Club following updates to border restrictions relating to Western Australia.

“We remain cognisant of the outside-football commitments of many players and staff from WA who are currently on the road in Victoria, and we thank them for their commitment and understanding.

“The league will continue to work closely with each club and the AFLPA, and will remain led by the advice of respective state governments and relevant health authorities as we work through arrangements for the coming rounds. I want to thank the AFLPA for working with us to provide the flexibility required to progress the season.

“Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs will participate in the additional games with the Magpies to have a five-day break between their Round Four game and their match-up against the Eagles next Tuesday night. Meanwhile, the Bulldogs are ready to return for Round Four after two weeks of no matches due to AFL Health and Safety Protocols.

“For the time being, the fixture remains a week-to-week proposition, and as such, we want to thank every AFLW Club, players and the AFLPA, umpires, venues, governments, ticketing agents and all supporters for their understanding.”

Ticketing Update
  • For supporters who have purchased tickets to matches in Round Four, those tickets remain valid. The Ticketing Agent will be in contact should any ticket purchaser wish to receive a refund.
  • Details of ticketing for the additional matches - Collingwood vs. West Coast Eagles and the Western Bulldogs vs. Fremantle – will be released separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine having your life controlled by a fictional character and swearing by an outdated book that has some very awful stuff inside it. I feel sorry for you.
I don’t care what you say to me. I’m secure in my belief so will always be proud of what I believe in.

I don’t care what you say to me. I’m secure in my belief so will always be proud of what I believe in.
I've enjoyed reading through this discussion this morning and respect the manner in which you've explained your beliefs while being respectful of others. It's something that far too easily falls by the wayside today.

While I don't agree with yours or Haneen Zrieka's positions, particularly on the hijab v guernsey point, I love the manner in which Haneen has dealt with this situation by effectively saying 'hey guys, this clashes with my belief system so I'm gonna sit this one out' without making a fuss or making it all about her.

Imagine having your life controlled by a fictional character and swearing by an outdated book that has some very awful stuff inside it. I feel sorry for you.
People like you are the nice guys?

I mean 80% of you commenting have abused Lsta062's religion in a disgraceful way. I'm not muslim but he's respectfully outlined his beliefs and all he has got back is disrespect. I mean how many times does one person need to say they're religion forbids something yet they have no problem with the people themselves engaging in that behaviour?

But please continue with the abuse from all the tolerant, loving people on here.

Hiding behind your religion is so cowardly, homophobia is unacceptable whether it is for faith-based reasons or not. This whole issue isn't a case of the discriminated vs the discriminated, it is the right to discriminate vs the discriminated.

Also, disgusting that AFLW (and the AFL) has allowed this homophobic perspective to be aired during Pride Round. Either Zreika should have been rested for an injury or something (and thus her problem with the LGBT community not been widely known), or the AFL/W should have made a statement that homophobia is unacceptable and Zreika should have been reprimanded. With this sitting on the fence, the biggest news to come out of Pride Round is that it is ok to not support the LGBT+ community, and that this opinion should be 'respected'.
Let's be honest, the AFL/W are too cowardly to make a stand against her position because she's a Muslim. Imagine how her LGBT teammates would feel around the club knowing there's a bigot who doesn't respect them running around? So much for AFLW being a 'safe space'.

People like you are the nice guys?

I mean 80% of you commenting have abused Lsta062's religion in a disgraceful way. I'm not muslim but he's respectfully outlined his beliefs and all he has got back is disrespect. I mean how many times does one person need to say they're religion forbids something yet they have no problem with the people themselves engaging in that behaviour?

But please continue with the abuse from all the tolerant, loving people on here.
Oh please. If your beliefs are homophobic, then you don't deserve respect. Hiding behind religion to justify your homophobic position isn't courageous, it's pathetic. My thoughts are with the LGBT players of the Giants and the rest of the AFLW competition here, as they're the real victims of this.

Oh please. If your beliefs are homophobic, then you don't deserve respect. Hiding behind religion to justify your homophobic position isn't courageous, it's pathetic. My thoughts are with the LGBT players of the Giants and the rest of the AFLW competition here, as they're the real victims of this.
They announced on the AFLW coverage that she had the support of her teammates in her decision, but if that isn't true then the truth will come out.

It would also help if you learnt the definition of words. Homophobia is the fear, hatred, discomfort with, or mistrust of people who are lesbian, gay, or bisexual. You really think she chooses to play in a league where she hates 50% of the players and that the club is happy to have her playing senior football?

I just struggle to buy the argument that wearing a pride jumper is somehow a step too far.

She wear the colours of her club which is explicitly pro-LGBTQ+ every week, with many gay teammates. She plays in a league that makes a big deal about how it support LGBTQ+ rights. She has even played in pride round before, a round that is outright dedicated to the furthering of LGBTQ+ rights. But somehow this time, wearing a rainbow jumper is too much?

If it is so important to her religion that she not wear a jumper with a rainbow symbol because she's not allowed to support LGTBQ+ rights, why did she play in pride round before? Why does she represent a league that is such a staunch supporter of LGBTQ+ people? It feels like a distinction without a difference.

They announced on the AFLW coverage that she had the support of her teammates in her decision, but if that isn't true then the truth will come out.

It would also help if you learnt the definition of words. Homophobia is the fear, hatred, discomfort with, or mistrust of people who are lesbian, gay, or bisexual. You really think she chooses to play in a league where she hates 50% of the players and that the club is happy to have her playing senior football?
Oh god, don't be so naive. Saying a homophobe has 'the full support of her teammates' is like a football club saying an ailing coach on his last legs has 'the full support of the board'. They're playing the media game and were never going to say anything else.

Homophobes absolutely can play in the AFLW and quite clearly this woman has a discomfort with the LGBT. To say she can't possibly be homophobic because she plays alongside LGBT people is idiotic. Everyone works alongside people they don't like, that's part of life.

Stop defending homophobes.

Oh god, don't be so naive. Saying a homophobe has 'the full support of her teammates' is like a football club saying an ailing coach on his last legs has 'the full support of the board'. They're playing the media game and were never going to say anything else.

Homophobes absolutely can play in the AFLW and quite clearly this woman has a discomfort with the LGBT. To say she can't possibly be homophobic because she plays alongside LGBT people is idiotic. Everyone works alongside people they don't like, that's part of life.

Stop defending homophobes.
While you are learning about words look up the definition of discrimination and bigot while you're at it. Clearly you'll learn something new.

Do you have any proof that Zreika is homophobic? ie that she hates, fears or distrusts her gay teammates? Hint: not playing in pride round isn't a correct answer.

While you are learning about words look up the definition of discrimination and bigot while you're at it. Clearly you'll learn something new.

Do you have any proof that Zreika is homophobic? ie that she hates, fears or distrusts her gay teammates? Hint: not playing in pride round isn't a correct answer.
Definitions looked up, and she fits the bill. You should educate yourself on what Pride means to the LGBT community before trying to act condescending next time. You're only embarrassing yourself.

If you're not willing to wear a guernsey because it represents gay Pride, it's quite clear you possess homophobic thoughts and attitudes. It's really not that hard to understand.

Definitions looked up, and she fits the bill. You should educate yourself on what Pride means to the LGBT community before trying to act condescending next time. You're only embarrassing yourself.

If you're not willing to wear a guernsey because it represents gay Pride, it's quite clear you possess homophobic thoughts and attitudes. It's really not that hard to understand.
This is the homophobic definition - having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against gay people. Again do you have any evidence whatsoever that she hates, dislikes, discriminates and anything else under the definition of the words against her team mates? Anything?

I get it's a sensitive topic, but people should actually understand words that they use and understand that you can disagree with what someone does without having any negative feelings, hate or discomfort towards those individual people.

This is the homophobic definition - having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against gay people. Again do you have any evidence whatsoever that she hates, dislikes, discriminates and anything else under the definition of the words against her team mates? Anything?

I get it's a sensitive topic, but people should actually understand words that they use and understand that you can disagree with what someone does without having any negative feelings, hate or discomfort towards those individual people.
The Pride jumper represents those teammates you refer to, and by refusing to wear that guernsey on the sole reason that it represents gay people is a form of discrimination. Thus, she's homophobic.

The mental gymnastics that you're going through to defend a homophobe is worrying.

The Pride jumper represents those teammates you refer to, and by refusing to wear that guernsey on the sole reason that it represents gay people is a form of discrimination. Thus, she's homophobic.

The mental gymnastics that you're going through to defend a homophobe is worrying.
If by mental gymnastics you mean explaining what words mean to you then ok. I mean I didn't make up the words I just use them in their correct context.

Issue has been done to death methinks, but looking forward to the remainder of the round.

Bris -18.5 for those that want money to go out on the piss tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's be honest, the AFL/W are too cowardly to make a stand against her position because she's a Muslim. Imagine how her LGBT teammates would feel around the club knowing there's a bigot who doesn't respect them running around? So much for AFLW being a 'safe space'.
This is definitely a case that is being thrown into the 'too hard basket.' Different circumstances, and the AFL/W would have publicly denounced Zreika's stand.

Many people here can't critically understand that inaction can be just as disriminatory as any action. Women's AFL has for the longest time been a safe space for gay women and girls to be comfortable and accepted with their sexuality (a luxury that isn't afforded in other places in society). Her public refusal (which I don't think were her wishes, and GWS have stuffed this one up by making it public) threatens the notion that women's AFL is an LGBT safe space.

Also, for the last time, homophobia for faith-based reasons is unacceptable. I left my Pentecostal church because of its homophobic stance.

This is definitely a case that is being thrown into the 'too hard basket.' Different circumstances, and the AFL/W would have publicly denounced Zreika's stand.

Many people here can't critically understand that inaction can be just as disriminatory as any action. Women's AFL has for the longest time been a safe space for gay women and girls to be comfortable and accepted with their sexuality (a luxury that isn't afforded in other places in society). Her public refusal (which I don't think were her wishes, and GWS have stuffed this one up by making it public) threatens the notion that women's AFL is an LGBT safe space.

Also, for the last time, homophobia for faith-based reasons is unacceptable. I left my Pentecostal church because of its homophobic
So AFLW players are no longer "safe"? Not doing anything is just as discriminatory as actually discriminating? and the definition of homophobia has changed?

Because of rules pertaining to blasphemy (i.e. exiting Islam because of a saying, belief, or doing). Not wearing the hijab doesn’t take someone out of Islam so long as they don’t say that it’s lawful in Islam not to wear it.

Wearing a rainbow guernsey on that occasion put one at risk of leaving Islam and losing all they’ve worked hard for because it signifies support of same-sex marriage and other LGBTQ practices that are clearly considered unlawful in Islam.

Generally speaking, saying something is lawful when it is commonly known as unlawful in Islam is blasphemy, and saying something is unlawful when it is commonly known as lawful in Islam is blasphemy.

Short version - Her not wearing a hijab doesn’t make her a non-Muslim. Her celebrating and supporting LGBTQ practices that are unlawful in Islam can make her a non-Muslim. Wearing the rainbow LGBTQ guernsey on this occasion signifies celebrating and supporting LGBTQ practices that are unlawful in Islam.

Just FYI - blasphemy is not a law in Australia.
Separation of church and state is a core principle of a Western democracy.
I am 100% for freedom of expression and people to be whatever religion they like, but that does not override and does not get considered in what is lawful or unlawful. Acceptable or unacceptable is fine, but lawful is not determined by any religious text, culture or figure.

So AFLW players are no longer "safe"? Not doing anything is just as discriminatory as actually discriminating? and the definition of homophobia has changed?
While I am sure Zreika won't physically attack any of teammates, the promotion of these homophobic viewpoints continue to put gay people in physical danger (as they have for hundreds of years).

While I am sure Zreika won't physically attack any of teammates, the promotion of these homophobic viewpoints continue to put gay people in physical danger (as they have for hundreds of years).
Why wouldn't she attack her teammates if she's homophobic as you state. If this is the case she would hate or fear many of her fellow players. Imagine playing with people you hate that are touching or tackling you? Or opposition players? Must be on a good wage to overcome her hatred of the a high percentage of players in her league.

Disappointing display by the Flag favourites Melbourne need to lift

They've been completely fustigated.

You do wonder (and this applies to Collingwood as well who got destroyed) that they might have been beating up on shitty Victorian teams for the first 3 rounds and that's resulted in a few people overrating how good they actually are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back