AFLW AFLW PS: vs St Kilda @Southport, 12pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeesh! Not expecting a single win?!?!
My observations of AFLW is that there are a handful of players that are probably the best players in the country, followed by a large (yet shrinking as more young girls come in) gap to the rest that are essentially club footy standard players. The high-calibre players I'm talking about Pearce, Lutkins, Vescio, Brennan, Hickey, McDonald, Bates, Chiocci, Duffy, Kearney, Ashmore, Blackburn and of course Phillips. Probably missed some. The teams that have these players rely on them to get them over the line. They really stand out.

I think Stanton, Kaslar, Pittman (gone for the season) and Ernst are closest we have to that level but not they're not quite there. Yorston will get there as well, maybe.

Since we don't have any players at that elite level IMO and as previously mentioned no real key forward that can clunk marks (another essential given how AFLW is played), we will struggle. In order to score we're going to have to work really well as a team - again something I cannot see happening given our squad has been thrown together just this year and have yet to really play in anger. That sort of synergy will take games to get going.

Like I said, not expecting much this year - but always happy to stand corrected. It's not about winning the whole thing this year. Just about being there, absorbing as much as possible and building for the following seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back