Annabel Johnson
Chloe Leonard
Ava McKeegan
Theresia Meissner
Paige Sheppard
Renee Tierney
Annie Lee
Tess Craven

So we had a good chance to look at a few draft prospects across earlier parts of this season, but went with just 1 player from that list

It's really hard to know how to rate it as an overall draft - really haven't read much about the draft prospects of our 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick

Extremely happy we went Prespakis with our first pick. Yes there's risk involved but it seems like this is the best year to really go for those risks - we lost our b&f from last year, our coach stepped down and we haven't seen our #1 selection for nearly 2 years by the time the next season starts.

This was an opportunity to kinda start fresh, show the rest of the league what direction we want to head in and that we don't just want to play it safe with locals going forward

Where I am surprised is that we didn't go for Annie Lee or Tess Craven, especially as we had 2 chances for either of them after our first selection. I thought they'd be our most likely in terms of going local

Feel like it's a bit of wait & see with this group just because of how left field a few of the selections are

watched a couple of interviews of Annie Lee and she is a real character, very mature - neat skills too. Still, not too disappointed that we overlooked her; athletically she looks to have a lot of work in front of her.
I thought we'd have taken Tess Craven after selections went a certain way, but the more I think about the Featherston selection the more I like it - she could be anything.

Last edited:
They're zipping through these selections, no mucking about, I like it - the men's draft is an absolute snooze fest by comparison.

with our 2nd selection we select

Zali Friswell ?!

wow - have not heard her name brought up in any phantom draft whatsoever, huge bolter!
I'm speechless; I have no speech.
She's my cousin, elite endurance runner think she set the best time in the 2km.
State Rep jnr bball through most age levels. If she has her mum's determination shell end up very handy.

She's my cousin, elite endurance runner think she set the best time in the 2km.
State Rep jnr bball through most age levels. If she has her mum's determination shell end up very handy.

Awesome, thank you for your input, you must be happy to see her get drafted, and such a high selection too - just watched some highlights of Zali posted on the Geelong board this evening and she's more than 'just' a strong runner by the look of her; super-skillful player. Stoked to have her in the Hoops next year; when you see her next let her know her Big Footy fans wish her the very best!

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/988104/pick-7-zali-friswell

Quite pleased with our selections, really.

Prespakis the best in the draft, you would think. And, whether she stays or not, she looks like she's coming down for a good time, if not necessarily a long time. Love how she showed some real excitement about joining the club and wearing the hoops.

Friswell was a surprise, obviously. Yet she clearly has been performing strongly, has great endurance and good skills, and should bring more long-term depth to our mids group. Like others here, I wonder whether there's a little of the 'bring the complementary player' factor at play here, when you consider Prespakis' future. Still, it's not like she has come from nowhere and is rated by no one.

Featherston seems like a fantastic pick. The more players on our list with some size, versatility and vigour to their game, the better. Could be a really good foil for Barber on the forward line.

And backing in the VFLW improver also makes great sense to me. It's part of us embracing our identity as a regional club to have a close look at promoting players from within, wherever possible. And her numbers indicate that she has been good both with and without the ball for us this season.

As for those we 'missed' from our local crew, I can also echo the disappointment. Still, the club can hardly say they hadn't been given every opportunity to look at them all and decide on whether they were the best fit for our AFLW list at this point. On that basis, then, I'm happy to back the list management strategy in and I look forward to seeing all four of these players in the hoops next season. Obviously, Georgie will be playing but I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these other names pushing for games as well (Featherston, particularly).

Welcome, one and all, to the GFC...

Prespakis the best in the draft, you would think. And, whether she stays or not, she looks like she's coming down for a good time, if not necessarily a long time. Love how she showed some real excitement about joining the club and wearing the hoops.

Friswell was a surprise, obviously. Yet she clearly has been performing strongly, has great endurance and good skills, and should bring more long-term depth to our mids group. Like others here, I wonder whether there's a little of the 'bring the complementary player' factor at play here, when you consider Prespakis' future. Still, it's not like she has come from nowhere and is rated by no one.

Featherston seems like a fantastic pick. The more players on our list with some size, versatility and vigour to their game, the better. Could be a really good foil for Barber on the forward line.

And backing in the VFLW improver also makes great sense to me. It's part of us embracing our identity as a regional club to have a close look at promoting players from within, wherever possible. And her numbers indicate that she has been good both with and without the ball for us this season.

As for those we 'missed' from our local crew, I can also echo the disappointment. Still, the club can hardly say they hadn't been given every opportunity to look at them all and decide on whether they were the best fit for our AFLW list at this point. On that basis, then, I'm happy to back the list management strategy in and I look forward to seeing all four of these players in the hoops next season. Obviously, Georgie will be playing but I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these other names pushing for games as well (Featherston, particularly).

Did you watch the Friswell highlights package goyoucatters ?

Is that all we had 4 picks we needed at least about 6
We've picked up 7 players over the last week

Signed 3 players before the draft and then took 4 in the draft - so it's not like we've neglected to bring in fresh faces

I'm not necessary disappointed that we didn't pick up Lee or Craven, more so surprised that when going local we didn't look at either off them

But maybe it was a case of having both it them as development list players with the VFLW side, it allowed us to have a good look at them and the coaches decided they weren't necessarily the right fit for the direction we were going in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good is it too read things like this:

Friswell had a chat with new Geelong coach Dan Lowther while her phone was lighting up with messages of congratulations.

"Patrick Dangerfield contacted me, Maddy Keryk and a few of the AFL and AFLW players, Joel Selwood, there were about five or so AFL players, which I didn't think would happen," she said.

"It made me think the Cats is a home environment, and it made me feel welcome."

No stock photos from his St Kilda days?

Does he have any current involvement with St Kilda and does this mean all senior coaches in the AFLW next season will be male?

Some people aren't very happy about it either, considering he will be replacing the only female AFLW coach from last season....

It's not even that he is male. I've seen plenty of comments about how there are plenty of male coaches experienced in women's footy. If not a woman, a male with experience at least.

The implication of appointing an old boy is, the female coaching pathway may be irrelevant. Doesn't matter how much time you put into it, or your experience or achievements, if they just appoint inexperienced ex AFL players to senior AFLW coaching positions.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

So will they play VFLW when no AFLW or can they go anywhere?
Yes and no

Based on this year, when the seasons overlapped, AFLW players were eligible to play in the aligned VFLW side. When the season finished, VFLW teams were able to submit an updated player list including AFLW players that were generally from the aligned team

There were same players delisted by Vic teams that signed with a different VFLW team - we delisted Nic Garner & she signed on to play with Hawthorn in the VFLW. Some from interstate AFLW teams signed to a VFLW team, guess it could be based on location of where they live outside of AFLW season. In terms of contracted AFLW players signing on elsewhere, only one I can think of was Phoebe McWilliams and Geelong was probably ok with that as it allowed us to use our VFLW team to blood our younger forward options, plus she's Melbourne based

In regards to our draftees for next season, if they've committed to Geelong beyond AFLW 6, I'd think they'd look to keep them aligned with our VFLW team

No stock photos from his St Kilda days?

Does he have any current involvement with St Kilda and does this mean all senior coaches in the AFLW next season will be male?

I posted about this a while ago. To be honest DelSanto is not the worst choice imo... as I feel he may be able to help with skills ...but in general , I would prefer to have a female coach. If the clubs will not do it by choice then maybe there should be an affirmative action approach to it. If for the next three years every coach was a female , we would still have three premiers and three bottom of the ladders

She might not be around for a long time at the club, I know. But I think I'll really enjoy Georgie's time at the Cattery. Plays her footy with a real edge and just seems intensely likeable. Clearly quite OK with coming down to start her AFLW career with us as well. Looks like being a fantastic addition to me.

She might not be around for a long time at the club, I know. But I think I'll really enjoy Georgie's time at the Cattery. Plays her footy with a real edge and just seems intensely likeable. Clearly quite OK with coming down to start her AFLW career with us as well. Looks like being a fantastic addition to me.

How long is a drafted player tied to the club in W?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back